Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Superman" #38 Debuts New Power, New Costume for the Man of Steel

Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. look to add a new power to Superman's list of abilities, along with a slightly redesigned costume.

Full article here.

I hope they bring back super-ventriloquism.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Costume change......why bother? The earlier one is slightly better.

A new power is always fun.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

He's going Super Sayian. Clearly all those fan boy match ups with Goku have had their effect.

All-New Member

Costume looks fine except for the sleeves, the emo sleeves were bad enough but hill walking sleeves? Why would Superman need these? Plus I'm sad the car is still there. That aside costume looks a little sleeker. That picture is horrible though. I've previously been critical of Romita Jr however is Superman work is some of his best in recent years. That face however is everything I feared when his name was announced on the title.

Astonishing Member

I'm always immediately reminded that Morrison adds (incredibly logical) powers to Superman's skill-set all the time. When he gets turbo-charged in All-Star # 1, he starts generating an EMP field that he has to learn how to deal with because it fries electronics. Superman Beyond, then Action Comics basically confirm that Superman doesn't have X-Ray or Heat vision - he has "Omniscopic" vision. Anything a telescope or microscope, on any frequency can see, he can see. Any refractory method. Even his heat vision is essentially bursts of microwave radiation (the laser-beam depiction then being something like the most high frequency).

(Side note: I wish I had eyes that could do anything that light-based tech can do!)

So an energy burst seems within the wheelhouse of a guy who's got as much tremendous energy charging up his cells.

I'm stoked for this Men of Tomorrow story to finally get where it's going. It's been a bit overlong but the act structure, where it's sort of "halves" - one as friends and one as not so much - works for me and I've liked the somewhat morality tale sci-fi standard going on, creating fantastical alien menaces, doing dimensional stuff, so hopefully this run is just getting warmed up.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Spectacular Member Sad Superman's Avatar

Fingerless gloves are interesting.

BANNED

Very excited about the new power!

Wonder when this design will carry over to Action, SM/WW and, JL. At least, its the subtle enough type of change that I certainly imagine this now being wholesale across the line. For a while there I was thinking something wildly different but just contained to this book. In any case, can't wait to see a Kuder and Fabok illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'm always immediately reminded that Morrison adds (incredibly logical) powers to Superman's skill-set all the time. When he gets turbo-charged in All-Star # 1, he starts generating an EMP field that he has to learn how to deal with because it fries electronics. Superman Beyond, then Action Comics basically confirm that Superman doesn't have X-Ray or Heat vision - he has "Omniscopic" vision. Anything a telescope or microscope, on any frequency can see, he can see. Any refractory method. Even his heat vision is essentially bursts of microwave radiation (the laser-beam depiction then being something like the most high frequency).

(Side note: I wish I had eyes that could do anything that light-based tech can do!)

So an energy burst seems within the wheelhouse of a guy who's got as much tremendous energy charging up his cells.

I'm stoked for this Men of Tomorrow story to finally get where it's going. It's been a bit overlong but the act structure, where it's sort of "halves" - one as friends and one as not so much - works for me and I've liked the somewhat morality tale sci-fi standard going on, creating fantastical alien menaces, doing dimensional stuff, so hopefully this run is just getting warmed up.
    This is what Snyder emphasized as well in his Unchained story, about how Superman will see more frequencies with his vision as he masters his power. Him calling it x-ray or heat vision is probably just him simplifying it or because it sounds cooler than Omniscope vision.

Yeah, you could easily tell the progress of a story grinding to a halt a few months ago in the lead up to this. So hopefully after this, the flow picks up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, you could easily tell the progress of a story grinding to a halt a few months ago in the lead up to this. So hopefully after this, the flow picks up again.
    Sounds like a super fart. Super-gassiness confirmed? Superman probably would have devastating farts. And they seem to be consistent with the description - he's afraid to do it in populated areas, and he has no control over it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Sounds like a super fart. Super-gassiness confirmed? Superman probably would have devastating farts. And they seem to be consistent with the description - he's afraid to do it in populated areas, and he has no control over it.
    lmao! Super fart,really??

but is it really needed. He's the most powerful Superhero. This might make him extremely overpowered.I'm willing to bet tho,that his new power is sun based.

Maybe he can call down solar energy or emit huge Solar flares from his cells or something..not sure
    Could be some radioactive AOE blast.

Supermans God Blast? Minus the Hammer??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Superman View Post
    Fingerless gloves are interesting.
    Fingerless gloves are so 80's

We were suppose to leave those in the past,along with Leg warmers and fanny packs

*rolls eyes*

He's Fashion fail on a stick.He should start wearing undies on the outside again. Very Lady Gaga esque,very sexy,very freaky.

Someone get Donatella Versace on the phone

Ehh the costums is ehh. The new power could be a last resort thing I hope.

I repeat the costume is very meh. I like the earlier New 52 one.