Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Supes in the new suit from the Batman/Superman Annual. Tyler Kirkham posted the picture on his twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly. Leave it to Johns to completely miss the mark on Superman. Even when he does something right, he does it wrong. Hopefully Pak and the new guy can make it work. The only thing this "depowered for a day" thing could do to make it a worthwhile addition to the mythos is taking Clark back to Golden Age levels.
    Eh...Kryptonian biology aside, I'm fine with Super Flare leaving Superman powerless. It's been presented as a pretty destructive and powerful move, so it'll probably just be a last resort, and leaving Superman powerless afterwards could lead to some interesting conflicts if he has to continue fighting afterwards after using it .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    Supes in the new suit from the Batman/Superman Annual. Tyler Kirkham posted the picture on his twitter.

Hmm, want to see it in color before making a final judgement but I see no one else really draws the sleeves as high up as JR.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Looking pretty good, imo!

BANNED

That looks pretty good imo,I hope more artist can do this much justice to the suit

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Eh...Kryptonian biology aside, I'm fine with Super Flare leaving Superman powerless. It's been presented as a pretty destructive and powerful move, so it'll probably just be a last resort, and leaving Superman powerless afterwards could lead to some interesting conflicts if he has to continue fighting afterwards after using it .
    I have no issue with the Super-Nova thing draining Clark's solar energy, what I have issue with is Johns trying to make Superman "human". Johns always tries to bring Clark down to our level, its like the idea of raising everyone else up to Superman's has never crossed his mind. Thematically, it misses the entire point of Superman, and reeks of the post-Crisis Everyman mess that Johns himself helped create. I also take issue with Johns ignoring and contradicting any part of continuity he doesnt like. Its been established that in the 52 Clark was *never* human, not even as a child. But Johns ignores this because he doesnt like it. Its lazy and insulting, to the readers as well as the writers who have built this continuity.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Suit looks good. Tyler Kirkham's version is better than Jim Lee's version in just about every meaningful way.

EDIT: I like Jim Lee's art, but just to reiterate, the new boots are better and seams are better than armor plating. Otherwise, the suits are pretty much the same to me, i.e. if I didn't know about the re-design I'd hardly notice the difference, and therefore by law of quasi-transitivity, Kirkham's wins.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 03-01-2015 at 04:48 PM.

I only wish Kirkham didn't give Superman bed hair all the time. But yeah, looks pretty good to me. He draws the new belt nicely. Still wish it had the yellow buckle but oh well. I'm glad they kept a variation of the shoulder designs. Those were my favorite seam lines, I liked the effect they produced. And of course the boots are way better now. Only thing more I could possibly wish for is that I wish they'd go back to drawing the bottom serif on the S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I have no issue with the Super-Nova thing draining Clark's solar energy, what I have issue with is Johns trying to make Superman "human". Johns always tries to bring Clark down to our level, its like the idea of raising everyone else up to Superman's has never crossed his mind. Thematically, it misses the entire point of Superman, and reeks of the post-Crisis Everyman mess that Johns himself helped create. I also take issue with Johns ignoring and contradicting any part of continuity he doesnt like. Its been established that in the 52 Clark was *never* human, not even as a child. But Johns ignores this because he doesnt like it. Its lazy and insulting, to the readers as well as the writers who have built this continuity.
    I've never seen Johns' Superman as an everyman aspiring to be like humans without inspiring them, Clark maybe, but not his Superman. Well, at least of all the Johns Superman stuff I've read which includes Justice League. I took the being powerless element of the Super Flare to not necessarily be thematic, at least in regards to making Superman more "human" but to provide a good hurdle for Superman to overcome wherein he has to save the day without his powers. It's a classic Superhero trope .

Fair enough on the ignoring continuity issue. I'm more than happy and content with Clark being back at the Planet, but I can understand why people would be dissatisfied with Johns just ignoring why he left in the first place or what he was doing with Cat. Though again, perfectly happy with how things ended up .

Incredible Member

The costume has improved. They just need to get rid of the high collar. That is too pretentious for Superman's character.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Here's the panel in full color. I'm glad to see the yellow is back in the belt buckle. I really like it already. Even the suit has a less of an armor look to it here. Maybe it's Tyler's style, but I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    The costume has improved. They just need to get rid of the high collar. That is too pretentious for Superman's character.
    Has anyone from DC ever commented on the reason for the high collar? I just can't figure it out.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    Has anyone from DC ever commented on the reason for the high collar? I just can't figure it out.
    Well in the early outset of the New 52, the "big 7" of the JLA all had a high collar,(or in WW's case, a choker)as a common costume detail among them (as well as the seams on the suits) to give them a kind of team uniform feel. DC has never given a specific reason for it beyond that, so we will go with that.

Looking at that pic above, that is a definite, although slight improvement. If they would keep the yellow on the belt ($10 bet it gets recolored red just before publication), eliminate the high collar and change the "S" on the cape from black to yellow, it would be near perfect.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-03-2015 at 11:39 AM.

BANNED

Here's the panel in full color. I'm glad to see the yellow is back in the belt buckle. I really like it already. Even the suit has a less of an armor look to it here. Maybe it's Tyler's style, but I'll take it.

Wow that looks really great,if only superman could always look that badass.

The new costume looks pretty good there. I like the new belt and boots. I hope they keep the yellow in the belt buckle. It really adds to the belt.