Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Wilby65 View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place I know there used to be a post stickied to the top of the old forums but couldn't find anything now.

I basically read only Marvel comics because it was what I grew up on as a kid for the most part but as I am getting more and more into comics I wanna start getting into some DC. Currently the only book I read is Green Arrow, soley because I love the show. I am also a Batman and Green Lantern fan as I watched those cartoons as a kid too. I know almost nothing of anyone else.

So what I wanna know is what are some of the best DC books out right now? The characters involved mean almost nothing as they will mostly be fresh to me (obviously I know the big names but not much else), although if there is a great Batman or Green Lantern title that would be awesome lol. I'm just looking for great stories to be honest. I appreciate any help!
    Think seriously about dipping into DC's fabulous back catalogue instead of (or as well as) reading current series.

There's some tremendous value in back issues, and some wonderful old series available in trade. For example, last time I checked Mike Grell run on Green Arrow was available at a snip for back issues. And James Robinson run on Starman is available in various formats.

Put it this way. You're pretty knowledge-able on Marvel… you know that plenty of old Marvel stuff published in last 20/30 years is every bit as good as todays output. DC's no different.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    James Robinson run on Starman is available in various formats.
    Yeah but it's partly out of print.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Yeah but it's partly out of print.
    True, but pretty sure that getting run at a very reasonable price would be relatively easy. And it's one of the best in super hero comics. (Apply all the usual qualifiers about subjective opinions!)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    True, but pretty sure that getting run at a very reasonable price would be relatively easy. And it's one of the best in super hero comics. (Apply all the usual qualifiers about subjective opinions!)
    It's great but I've seen many paying a pretty penny of the full run.
    Getting the complete Hitman would be much easier.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    It's great but I've seen many paying a pretty penny of the full run.
    Getting the complete Hitman would be much easier.
    Now that would be a very wise thing to do....

Wow thanks for all the advice everyone! After looking into most, if not all, of these I think I'm gonna give Wonder Woman, Red Lanterns, Batman, Swamp Thing, and Green Lantern Corps a shot and go from there. Thanks again for the help guys!

Wonder Woman, Green Arrow..
    #MagnetoWasRight

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    If you're enjoying Jeff Lemire's impressive run on Green Arrow right now, I would recommend his recently completed Animal Man as well.
    Lemire puts both Green Arrow and Animal man in his Justice League United - so if you are interested in either in their solo books.

I get the impression that you watched the shows / movies as well as watched the comics? Wilby65 - which cartoons / movies did you watch that you really enjoyed - and what did you enjoy about them?

For example, I liked Heath's Joker.

Justice League

Superman/ Wonder Woman

Justice League United

Quote Originally Posted by Wilby65 View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place I know there used to be a post stickied to the top of the old forums but couldn't find anything now.

I basically read only Marvel comics because it was what I grew up on as a kid for the most part but as I am getting more and more into comics I wanna start getting into some DC. Currently the only book I read is Green Arrow, soley because I love the show. I am also a Batman and Green Lantern fan as I watched those cartoons as a kid too. I know almost nothing of anyone else.

So what I wanna know is what are some of the best DC books out right now? The characters involved mean almost nothing as they will mostly be fresh to me (obviously I know the big names but not much else), although if there is a great Batman or Green Lantern title that would be awesome lol. I'm just looking for great stories to be honest. I appreciate any help!
    A lot of people have made suggestions, but before i add to them, I think you should let us know what you like. What characters/books do you like at Marvel? what shows (besides Green Arrow) do you like on TV? do you like anti-heroes or straight up heroic types? dark or light tone? teams or solo? I mean, just because one person loves a book doesn't mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    A lot of people have made suggestions, but before i add to them, I think you should let us know what you like. What characters/books do you like at Marvel? what shows (besides Green Arrow) do you like on TV? do you like anti-heroes or straight up heroic types? dark or light tone? teams or solo? I mean, just because one person loves a book doesn't mean you will.
    Good point. At Marvel I love Amazing Spider-man currently but my favorite book I have read since starting in comics was Scarlet Spider, I hate it was cancelled. Although I like a lot of lighter tone books currently (ex. ASM, GotG, Nova) I think I have been more of a fan of the darker tone books I've read. I also loved Venom before it was cancelled. I can do either anit-heroes or straight up heroes it doesn't quite matter to me. I'm more a fan of solo books but Team books can be great too, I love the current Avengers run.