Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    "No business"?

It's not like the "superhero community" in the MU has ever had any hard-and-fast rules about "who's allowed to recycle a previously-used heroic alias, and who isn't!"

When Johnny Storm started calling himself "The Human Torch," he'd never met Jim Hammond; he'd just read some old comic books about his illustrious predecessor! Johnny didn't feel any need to fill out any paperwork in triplicate, "formally applying for permission to use the name," and then submit it to a committee and wait six months to hear back from them. His logic seems to have been: "It's a perfectly good heroic alias; nobody else has used it in years; it reflects the nifty new powers I just acquired; so why not grab it for myself?"

Jim Hammond himself, when he came back onstage as a "regular presence" in the MU in the late 1980s, seems to have accepted the situation calmly instead of screaming: "You had no right to grab my alias without my permission!"

Likewise, when Danny Ketch became the new "Ghost Rider" in 1990, he'd never met Johnny Blaze (although he did later). Danny's solo title lasted about 8 years.

Warren Worthington III never apologized to the Golden Age Angel for swiping his alias; the synthezoid known as The Vision never apologized to the Golden Age Vision; Natasha Romanoff never apologized to Claire Voyant (the Golden Age Black Widow); Peter Parker never apologized for the fact that long before he became "Spider-Man," there had been a mad scientist called "Spiderman" who died fighting Madeline Joyce (Marvel's Golden Age Miss America) . . .

So why should Monica feel guilty about reviving a heroic alias which nobody else had used lately?
    Awesome post.

That Carol thinks that she has come along to right some perceived wrong echoes the sense of entitlement that we find wherever the mindset of elitist/majority/oppressor class privilege exists. Like Genis, they are behaving as if they had somehow been victimized by Monica, who actually took the name and kept the spirit, honor and distinction of the name intact. As a HUGE Captain Mar-vell fan back in the day, I did not originally support Monica -- or anyone else, for that matter -- using the name, Captain Marvel. But once Captain America gave it to her, it should have been hers to keep for as long as she wanted it.

It all goes back to the right to define who we are in this world. Self determination is one of the most integral pillars of a free society. At some point it would be great to see intelligent and powerful characters like Monica Rambeau and Adam Brashear stand up and fight for their rights. Right now, they both come across as easily bullied and all-too accommodating: 21st century AA hero stereotypes in the making. That can't happen. It's not a good look, or a good message.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-08-2015 at 03:07 PM.