Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike82 View Post
    Sure it would be. Since they are doing a Carol Danvers movie, it would make little sense to add Monica as a support character since the character had little to nothing to do with Carol Danvers in the comics.

She just sort of took the title after Mar-Vell died. As Carol pointed out in her book, Monica had no business taking the name in the first place. Did Monica even know Mar-vell? Sure, Monica once Captain Marvel and lead the Avengers, but this was way back in the 80s or something, and she only held her solo Captain Marvel title for about two issues. Carol Danvers has lead the Avengers in recent memory actually and is now the current Captain Marvel.
    Neither did Mar-Vell, Marvel Comics just wanted to pounce on the copyright before DC did. Now they've got a stranglehold on it and DC has to resort to calling the real Captain Marvel "Shazam!" or "Captain Thunder". Part of the reason Carol even has a book is because they wanted to keep that copyright (like Fox and the X-Men movies, keep making it and you keep owning it). Heck, it's why she exists in the first place. Legacy character to a copyright holder. Same with Monica. But we've gotten some damn good comics out of it, so who cares who had it first or who "deserves" it?

Sure it would be. Since they are doing a Carol Danvers movie, it would make little sense to add Monica as a support character since the character had little to nothing to do with Carol Danvers in the comics.

She just sort of took the title after Mar-Vell died. As Carol pointed out in her book, Monica had no business taking the name in the first place. Did Monica even know Mar-vell? Sure, Monica once Captain Marvel and lead the Avengers, but this was way back in the 80s or something, and she only held her solo Captain Marvel title for about two issues. Carol Danvers has lead the Avengers in recent memory actually and is now the current Captain Marvel.
    I personally love the relationship Monica has with the Vell family.

Monica stole Marv's name. Then Marv's son ended up stealing Monica's name... twice. I'm awaiting Genis to return from the grave calling himself Spectrum.

She just sort of took the title after Mar-Vell died. As Carol pointed out in her book, Monica had no business taking the name in the first place. Did Monica even know Mar-vell?
    "No business"?

It's not like the "superhero community" in the MU has ever had any hard-and-fast rules about "who's allowed to recycle a previously-used heroic alias, and who isn't!"

When Johnny Storm started calling himself "The Human Torch," he'd never met Jim Hammond; he'd just read some old comic books about his illustrious predecessor! Johnny didn't feel any need to fill out any paperwork in triplicate, "formally applying for permission to use the name," and then submit it to a committee and wait six months to hear back from them. His logic seems to have been: "It's a perfectly good heroic alias; nobody else has used it in years; it reflects the nifty new powers I just acquired; so why not grab it for myself?"

Jim Hammond himself, when he came back onstage as a "regular presence" in the MU in the late 1980s, seems to have accepted the situation calmly instead of screaming: "You had no right to grab my alias without my permission!"

Likewise, when Danny Ketch became the new "Ghost Rider" in 1990, he'd never met Johnny Blaze (although he did later). Danny's solo title lasted about 8 years.

Warren Worthington III never apologized to the Golden Age Angel for swiping his alias; the synthezoid known as The Vision never apologized to the Golden Age Vision; Natasha Romanoff never apologized to Claire Voyant (the Golden Age Black Widow); Peter Parker never apologized for the fact that long before he became "Spider-Man," there had been a mad scientist called "Spiderman" who died fighting Madeline Joyce (Marvel's Golden Age Miss America) . . .

So why should Monica feel guilty about reviving a heroic alias which nobody else had used lately?
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 02-06-2015 at 07:32 AM.

Based off the two issues they were in together, I wouldn't call them very good friends, or at least not in the sense that Carol and Jessica Drew are very good friends. I have no problem with support characters playing a minor role, but I'm against the idea of Carol co-staring with some other character. She needs to be able to stand on her own as a solo character. This is her first movie and the first solo female superhero movie for Marvel, so it only makes sense.

Diversity is fine, but I'm against the idea of diversity if it's just for the sake of diversity in Marvel films. James Rhodes was not in the Iron Man film because he was black. He was there because he was a valuable support character to Iron Man in the comics. Monica is not a very important character in Carol's life. Casting Her in the first Captain Marvel movie would be weird. Maybe in Captain Marvel 2. Kamala seems pretty cool, but other than having Carol's old moniker, she has literally no connection to Carol.
    They are good enough friends and are connected enough where if monica was in carols book for the rest of its time it would make sense. A buddy cop type dou book with them would make sense.

Monica never got a solo. She got two minis just so they can keep the name. I get it you don't like monica. It's cool. I have my opinion and you have yours

Astonishing Member

.....In regards for any of the super females listed here within this thread; CBR has recently revealed the following News about the A-FORCE Series, via this Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    They are good enough friends and are connected enough where if monica was in carols book for the rest of its time it would make sense. A buddy cop type dou book with them would make sense.
    Agreed. Whatever posters like to think, Carol and Monica are very close and that's just canon. I think Carol's solo film should have an epic supporting cast consisting of Mar-Vell, Monica and Jessica Drew! That would be an amazing cast to start off with.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisennerd View Post
    Monica was named Captain Marvel by the newspapers, she didn't even know there was another. Seeing as the original was dead, you're wrong saying Monica had no business taking the name. She was a very good character that had been steadily & loving developed until editorial decided they wanted Cap to lead the team; firing writer Roger Stern because he disagreed with Monica stepping down for Steve just to prop him up. The new writer portrayed Monica as an inept leader and de-powered her; resulting in the character becoming obscure for over a decade. To me, Monica will always be Marvel's best Captain Marvel.

Don't mind my calls for diversity Mike82, you're going to get your aryan Captain Marvel.
    I agree. I have no idea why posters are hating and nitpicking Monica for no good reason. Stern really did do an excellent job with the character. It's sad to hear he was fired for that reason, when he was arguably one of the best Marvel writers at the time.

I don't know much about Mar-Vell, but Monica and Carol are definitely my favorite Captain Marvel's.

BANNED

Monica was named Captain Marvel by the newspapers, she didn't even know there was another. Seeing as the original was dead, you're wrong saying Monica had no business taking the name. She was a very good character that had been steadily & loving developed until editorial decided they wanted Cap to lead the team; firing writer Roger Stern because he disagreed with Monica stepping down for Steve just to prop him up. The new writer portrayed Monica as an inept leader and de-powered her; resulting in the character becoming obscure for over a decade. To me, Monica will always be Marvel's best Captain Marvel.
    I was replying to a poster that suggested that Monica as Captain Marvel somehow had more merit than the current one just because she held the title long before Carol did. There is really nothing in which connects her to the original namesake of Captain Marvel. This is not to say anything about her as a bad characer or anything about that.

It's a shame what happened to Monica. Shitting all over an established character just to prop up another one is the wrong way to go. I guess it was the sign of the times. Honestly, I know Cap is a great character, but he's never been all that interesting to me.

Don't mind my calls for diversity Mike82, you're going to get your aryan Captain Marvel.
    Well, it looks like somebody completely missed my point! This has absolutely nothing to do with who will be in the Captain Marvel movie. Who should be in a Carol Danvers movie? Who are her close circle of friends? Jessica Drew, Jessica Jones, Tony Stark? This one team-up of Carol and Monica was pretty cool, but I'm gonna need to see more interactions between the characters before I label them as close friends.

BANNED

Well, Marvel could make it work if they wanted to. I wouldn't want to see a buddy cop type thing in Carol's movie though. All support characters should have a minor but fairly significant role. Let the hero stand out.

Monica never got a solo. She got two minis just so they can keep the name. I get it you don't like monica. It's cool. I have my opinion and you have yours
    I have no problem with Monica. I was replying to someone who seemed to think that Monica was better because she was Captain Marvel long before Carol ever was. If I came across as insulting to Monica, that was not my intent.

Love Monica. Always have, ever since her first appearence, and that is no surprise, considering that Stern's is my favorite Avengers run ever. That being said, I'm content with her seeking and finding her own identity. I was much more "offended" (if such a strong word even fits here) by an independent woman such as Carol being stripped of her own "identity" (at least her super-heroic one), which she worked hard to establish, to be stuck with her male counterpart name, a code-name that even "demotes" her in rank, seeing that she was an Air-Force Colonel.
    IMHO, Genis-Vell, especially when merged with Rick Jones, was the best Captain Marvel successor, with the greatest story potential.
    And THAT Captain Marvel is another hugely undertated Marvel character in my list.

Peace

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Rachel Grey-Summers

Rich history, many great personal ties with other characters/things, and interesting uses of her powers.

Yet Marvel has, for years now, thrown her under a bus in every event that she should have played a big role in considering her history.

Genis-Vell, Hercules and Wonder Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Rachel Grey-Summers

Rich history, many great personal ties with other characters/things, and interesting uses of her powers.

Yet Marvel has, for years now, thrown her under a bus in every event that she should have played a big role in considering her history.
    Agree, but it could be worse. When I was growing up a young X-fan she was shunted off a thousand years into the future to raise Cable. Like Black Panther and Illyana, at least she's making regular appearances. Didn't used to be that way.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I can never say Monica Rambeau enough.

And let's add Lady Sif to that. I don't even see her on the cover of the new all-female A-Force book. If they pushed Sif like they're blitz campaigning Angela and the female Thor now, who knows how popular she would be. And to think that at one time Him (Adam Warlock) saw Sif as the pinnacle of perfection.

Hank Pym
    Darkhawk
    Forge
    Quasar
    Blue Marvel
    Amadeus Cho