Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Ah, I guess I must have missed the scene where Peter tried to use his pheromones to "test" which Spider-Women have the same connection he does with Cindy. How disappointing that Peter would abuse a connection only he and Cindy have knowledge of to compel those who aren't aware of it, all to satisfy his sexual desires.
    The general discussion is about Peter and Cindy's relationship. My comment was about that.

But is what Cindy did different from a girl interested in determining if there are any guys who will find her attractive?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I wonder if she would be attracted to old school Kaine, or Spidercide for that matter. Or those hundreds of clones that disintegrated into brown goop.
    i suppose the implication there is that this pheromone attraction thing either only works with 616 (male) totems or totems who have been “the other”.

making out with brown goop is getting closer to creepy. we’re almost there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The general discussion is about Peter and Cindy's relationship. My comment was about that.

But is what Cindy did different from a girl interested in determining if there are any guys who will find her attractive?
    And my response was based on the "asymmetry". I was saying how Cindy's approach to the pheromones is different Peter's.

Yes, what Cindy did is very much different. The pheromones are treated as an extension of her superhuman abilities, inherent to the spider-sense. It's closer to a more fantastical approach than a real-world one, such as casting a spell on someone to make them fall in love with you. It's obtaining consent not by seduction, but by allowing the spider-sense to override a person's conscious actions.

And my response was based on the "asymmetry". I was saying how Cindy's approach to the pheromones is different Peter's.

Yes, what Cindy did is very much different. The pheromones are treated as an extension of her superhuman abilities, inherent to the spider-sense. It's closer to a more fantastical approach than a real-world one, such as casting a spell on someone to make them fall in love with you. It's obtaining consent not by seduction, but by allowing the spider-sense to override a person's conscious actions.
    as a new reader i might be misunderstanding this- does silk have the ability to cast a spell over a receptive totem? or is it just that she and a compatible totem have co-responsive pheromones?

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

Lol. Sorry but I have to go to the city in the morning. I'll leave Round 2 up to you peeps, you seem to have a handle on this.
    I make love, you make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    as a new reader i might be misunderstanding this- does silk have the ability to cast a spell over a receptive totem? or is it just that she and a compatible totem have co-responsive pheromones?
    That's generally been my understanding,
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

i suppose the implication there is that this pheromone attraction thing either only works with 616 (male) totems or totems who have been “the other”.

making out with brown goop is getting closer to creepy. we’re almost there.
    Interesting. I was under the impression that she was attracted to anyone with spider pheromones.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Interesting. I was under the impression that she was attracted to anyone with spider pheromones.

that’s what i got from the scene phantom roxas is referring to; she was testing out if she felt that connection with all the totems in the safe zone. from memory ben reilly was a no, but kaine was a yes. both are genetically identical to peter so the only thing that ben doesn‘t have in common with those two is his home dimension and that he hasn’t been the other (to our knowledge). so it could be a clue as to how the whole thing works.

BANNED

Well, the "spell" has already been "cast". She just "activates" it, achieving the same affect. The spider-pheromones were always accessible, but she chooses to take advantage of it. Peter acknowledges the pleasure that comes from it, but admits that he doesn't want to have that pleasure. He refers to it as a "problem", showing an objection to it. Cindy, however, disagrees on it being a problem, meaning that Peter is rejecting the results of the pheromones, while Cindy is embracing them. I think "co-responsive" is a good way to describe it, and that helps get to what I'm referring to. What Peter is rejecting is that response, as he now has an awareness of it, which he discovered at the same time as Cindy. Cindy, however, decides to test the connection not by revealing that this could occur, and instead jumps right to seeing if the same results could be achieved. Essentially, she's performing an experiment, and people like Kaine were unknowing test subjects.

Well, the "spell" has already been "cast". She just "activates" it, achieving the same affect. The spider-pheromones were always accessible, but she chooses to take advantage of it. Peter acknowledges the pleasure that comes from it, but admits that he doesn't want to have that pleasure. He refers to it as a "problem", showing an objection to it. Cindy, however, disagrees on it being a problem, meaning that Peter is rejecting the results of the pheromones, while Cindy is embracing them. I think "co-responsive" is a good way to describe it, and that helps get to what I'm referring to. What Peter is rejecting is that response, as he now has an awareness of it, which he discovered at the same time as Cindy. Cindy, however, decides to test the connection not by revealing that this could occur, and instead jumps right to seeing if the same results could be achieved. Essentially, she's performing an experiment, and people like Kaine were unknowing test subjects.
    i'm getting confused by your wording- if the spell is already cast then it can't be "activated". only indulged. which reads like normal attraction, peter chooses to rise above his animal nature, silk indulges.

almost seems like you're painting kaine as a victim.

BANNED

I'm not denying that's what I'm doing for Kaine. Really, the only saving grace of that scene is that Kaine isn't actually compelled. Doesn't excuse Cindy from trying to take advantage of it in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Silk and Spider-Man lust attraction reminds me of Spider-Woman and Hawkeye's relationship: Nothing but sexual lust for the other without the foundations of a relationship. At least Clint's relationship with Mockingbird was genuine.

I'm not denying that's what I'm doing for Kaine. Really, the only saving grace of that scene is that Kaine isn't actually compelled. Doesn't excuse Cindy from trying to take advantage of it in the first place.
    mm just wanted clarification because it seems like an… interesting… interpretation. i’ll have to reread the scene but from memory she is testing out who she is just doing what girls do- we even see her inner monologue and i don’t recall those thoughts being malicious or manipulative or looking to compel anybody.

it almost seems you think it’s a conscious power that works more like alisha from the misfits (season 1 is the only one worth a watch), though it appears written closer to that thing vulcan’s do in star trek where both parties are mutually compelled by their biology. though in silk/peter/kaine’s case, both parties also have freedom of will and the ability to give or decline consent.

it’s possible that she is looking to prey on kaine, but it’s not implied in the text itself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Did Cindy use "phermones", or did she just wonder if she'd have a similar reaction in a room full of Peter Parkers?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Did Cindy use "phermones", or did she just wonder if she'd have a similar reaction in a room full of Peter Parkers?
    She was wondering if she had a similar reaction to the other Spider-Men.
    When Otto met her he felt the reaction but didn't act on it.