Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Your Guide To Understanding DC Comics' "Convergence" Timelines

CBR demystifies DC Comics' "Convergence" event, breaking down the timelines and worlds to explain how each week's titles matter to DC history.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

I am one of those fans that is annoying to some because I am obsessed with DC Universe continuity. I am interested in this storyline, but it's weird that Zero Hour gets a big nod for being a continuity crisis and Infinite Crisis doesn't. Infinite Crisis was just as continuity shattering as Zero Hour if not a lot more so.

All-New Member

I see it as a month of getting only 1 or 2 books from DC since pretty much none of those stories appeals to me, especially if the after effects won't even carry over to a post-Convergence DC universe.

Just let me know when Batman and Grayson starts up again.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JokersNuts View Post
    I am one of those fans that is annoying to some because I am obsessed with DC Universe continuity. I am interested in this storyline, but it's weird that Zero Hour gets a big nod for being a continuity crisis and Infinite Crisis doesn't. Infinite Crisis was just as continuity shattering as Zero Hour if not a lot more so.
    Don't get me wrong: Infinite Crisis was a much better read than Zero Hour and was very important in DC's history. Nevertheless, the Zero Hour choice makes sense to me simply because Zero Hour was about rebooting time where Infinite Crisis was more about establishing a new multiverse. COIE, Zero Hour, and Flashpoint are all moments in the DC history where time was an issue. COIE collapsed the Multiverse and tweaked character's history. Zero Hour compressed the singular DCU into a manageable timeline. After the re-establishment of the Multiverse in Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint reset time and restructured the Multiverse. If you look at the impact of Infinite Crisis as well as Final Crisis, time and history were a secondary issues. Infinite Crisis tweaked time a bit but nowhere near to the same magnitude COIE, Zero Hour, and Flashpoint did. I'm assuming that DC will deal with the post-Infinite Crisis universe in the first week where they focus on the Pre-Flashpoint Characters.

And Oh! I love DC continuity as well.

All-New Member

I am one of those DC fans that feels disenfranchised by the new 52. Consequently, I am looking forward to the pre-Flashpoint focus in order to bring some closure on those character that I knew and loved. As for what will happen after Convergence I personally do not believe that there will be a single thing that will change. I have no faith in DC anymore. Any and all new titles that we get will either be weeklies (which I hate) or re-numbered comics with the same crappy new-52 characters. Nothing will feel different or actually be different.
    If I am wrong, I hope that new titles will consist of adventures of other multiversal characters on other Earths, because if there was one very dominant conclusion I cam to after reviewing the Multiversity Guidebook, it's that Earth-0 is the most UN-interesting Earth in the Multiverse. I would not lose any sleep if DC just started over on another Earth entirely. (The only comic that I would continue to publish grounded on Earth-0 would be Batman and Batman and Robin. The rest are uninteresting fodder that I wish would get destroyed by one of those Monitor vessels and reduced to 'timeless continua'.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    I am one of those DC fans that feels disenfranchised by the new 52. Consequently, I am looking forward to the pre-Flashpoint focus in order to bring some closure on those character that I knew and loved. As for what will happen after Convergence I personally do not believe that there will be a single thing that will change. I have no faith in DC anymore. Any and all new titles that we get will either be weeklies (which I hate) or re-numbered comics with the same crappy new-52 characters. Nothing will feel different or actually be different.
    If I am wrong, I hope that new titles will consist of adventures of other multiversal characters on other Earths, because if there was one very dominant conclusion I cam to after reviewing the Multiversity Guidebook, it's that Earth-0 is the most UN-interesting Earth in the Multiverse. I would not lose any sleep if DC just started over on another Earth entirely. (The only comic that I would continue to publish grounded on Earth-0 would be Batman and Batman and Robin. The rest are uninteresting fodder that I wish would get destroyed by one of those Monitor vessels and reduced to 'timeless continua'.
    Same here. I'll be getting EVERYTHING these two months, then back to nothing basically. With most of the 40-page/digital I was getting ending or done by then, the only thing I'd be getting would be Infinite Crisis/Batman 66. Pretty much why I just gave up on a pull list when my LCS went kaput. I did continue getting comics (IDW/IMAGE/DH) after the reboot, but without the bulk of DC titles...just isn't the same.

I wonder how NEw 52 fans (who actually started there) feel about this. It's a lot of information to swallow, a lot of uknown characters, storylines and events.

If i had started with DC at the New 52 reboot, i'd be either uninterested or very very confused. For me it's the same when i think about Spider-man and some Marvel Characters. Trying to figure out who Ben Reilly is and stuff like that either gets me more confused or bored.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

HAMMER

Default Blue Devil, FireStorm and Elongated Man?

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    CBR demystifies DC Comics' "Convergence" event, breaking down the timelines and worlds to explain how each week's titles matter to DC history.

Full article here.
    I didn't see anything about Blue Devil, FireStorm (Ronnie Raymond & Martin Stein) and the Elongated Man. I loved these characters. Will these guys be coming back during this series?

I have no clue what's going on, even after having read all these articles. LOL I thought they were all in bottle cities and they were going to battle it out? Convergence sounds a lot like what Marvel is doing no? Which I thought they borrowed/inspired by what DC did no? This is all very . . . whatever. I will probably look at the books as they come out and buy the ones that appeal to me. Most of the New52 hasn't really been my cup of tea, but I do love Batman and Robin and I'm trying Teen Titans so . . .

The third outcome of this event might just be an official policy of loosening continuity. We can see this already taking place in the Batman line of books. Each title is essentially set in it’s own genre and largely ignores events in the flagship “Batman” comic, publishing tie-ins whenever they have to address a continuity change in status quo. It is easy to see the Bat books as a template for the rest of the DCU. DC could easily green light more self-contained books, put out weekly series or events that satisfy continuity hounds and keep the multiverse on hand for titles like “Earth 2” or popular media tie-ins like “Batman ‘66.”
    ^^I do hope however, that's the case. I love a shared universe. I hate, a tightly woven net of continuity were everything that happens in one book must that instant be acknowledged in every other book simultaneously thus disrupting the storylines.

Here's hoping.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    I wonder how NEw 52 fans (who actually started there) feel about this. It's a lot of information to swallow, a lot of uknown characters, storylines and events.

If i had started with DC at the New 52 reboot, i'd be either uninterested or very very confused. For me it's the same when i think about Spider-man and some Marvel Characters. Trying to figure out who Ben Reilly is and stuff like that either gets me more confused or bored.
    I started reading DC comics with the new 52 and I'm really looking forward to this. The New 52 introduced me to the DC world and I've worked my way backwards reading cool runs and important events. The book I'm definitely getting is the Question because Greg Rucka has done a fantastic job in evolving Rene Montoya's character ever since Gotham Central and I'd like to see some closure with that.

I'm an old universe fan and i have no interest to be honest. Still if prime manages to show up in it then i may be.

Mild-mannered journalist

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    Does that keep you from buying Spider-Man or X-Men comics? I suspect that the New 52 diehards probably will pick or choose what sounds the most interesting/intelligible to them.

By the nature of this event, I suspect most readers will be picking and choosing which titles to read anyway.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Yarbrough View Post
    Does that keep you from buying Spider-Man or X-Men comics? I suspect that the New 52 diehards probably will pick or choose what sounds the most interesting/intelligible to them.

By the nature of this event, I suspect most readers will be picking and choosing which titles to read anyway.
    Yeah...trying to follow ALL of it is prohibitively expensive, and nobody is going to like EVERYTHING.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Helena Wayne is from the bronze age (not silver age). I hope dc will have mostly independent books (similar to manga) to attract new customers. Limit the continuity laden stories to the event titles and or team up books (stop the nonsense crossovers that interrupt the work of the writers).

It's scary when someone who started reading DC comics in 1987 (such as myself) is confused!!!