Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I bought the first 6 or so issues of his 90s solo a few years back and really enjoyed it. I would love a new series in that vein.
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I read the interview, but didn't see any mention of Simon/Wonder Man...?

I'll still be picking up "Renew Your Vows" though.
    It showed a cameo of him and that might be all we get. lol
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Makes me wish they were better friends back in the day.

wonderman-cap.jpg
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    LOL...that's around when I became a fan of Simon too.

I've always liked his original costume, especially the illuminated shades/goggles . To me , he's always looked at his most powerful in his original costume. Maybe they can rebooted the character and make him look like when he first appeared, in the post SW world?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I've always liked his original costume, especially the illuminated shades/goggles . To me , he's always looked at his most powerful in his original costume. Maybe they can rebooted the character and make him look like when he first appeared, in the post SW world?
    This look is in my top 3 for Simon's costumes. He does look powerful in it.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Does anyone think Wonder Man deserves another chance at a solo series or mini-series?

Just wanted to say, I was ALL ABOUT this series for the firs year or so of its run. It was just left of center enough that I totally ate it up. It was perfect for me at the time and I would love to see that character get back to that kind of role in the Marvel-verse. Still holds a place in my heart just because of those first few issues. I bet I could recite many of them panel by panel =D
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

This look is in my top 3 for Simon's costumes. He does look powerful in it.

Count me in as another that really digs the original design. I do prefer the dark blue and red color scheme of his later costumes, but I'm fine with the green and red.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Just wanted to say, I was ALL ABOUT this series for the firs year or so of its run. It was just left of center enough that I totally ate it up. It was perfect for me at the time and I would love to see that character get back to that kind of role in the Marvel-verse. Still holds a place in my heart just because of those first few issues. I bet I could recite many of them panel by panel =D
    I too prefer Simon's series before he went into space for Operation Galactic Storm and returned the Savage Wonder Man (by editorial mandate, to make him more edgy, and improve sales). Those first issues were really wacky and fun, portrating Simon as one of the few sane people in insane Holywood.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

I thought Wondy was at his best in this period of the Avengers.
    No argument there!! That's probably my favorite period for the Avengers. I missed that issue though & didn't buy it until around 2002. That's a fun issue!! Shooter did great action!

I was really into the character for awhile. Never felt they showed his full potential back then. He was always worried about dying or letting his teammates down. He should have been on par with the elite guys with regards to strength but they didn't always show that. Here are two of my favorites from back then.

image.jpg. image.jpg
    Last edited by Jon-El; 06-15-2015 at 11:22 AM.

I always found this Avengers Forever costume variant interesting:

I prefer the red and black 90s costume, personally...
    I surrender to the Contest

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

That looks great. Wonderman looks like a proper powerhouse here but the Vision still does well to be able to stand up to him and even hurting him.

Who drew this? Looks like Perez or maybe one of the Buscema brothers?

Sal Buscema & Pablo Marcus. Loved that issue!

Byrne drew a great Wonder Man (here he has an inking assist by Keith Williams)

I have such an odd affection for many of Simon's old outfits - the original red/green, the Perez red/green/yellow and especially the safari jacket - but my favorite is the red/black. There have been many slight alterations to it over the years, but the original, simple version by Byrne (I think he designed it, no?) is still tops for me, although I prefer no sunglasses and black hair rather than grey. I do like that he can now channel his energy to fly, but without becoming a full-on "Kirby-crackle" energy being.

But let's not mention that red/green/yellow one-piece with the jetpack (from his WCA days)...

Personality-wise, I liked that Simon was a powerhouse-level guy who was still very grounded and human - usually to his detriment.(his notorious bad luck is the stuff of legends ) It's difficult to know what to do with a character like that sometimes, but I really enjoyed his solo series for awhile. (I think I lost interest around the time he got the new costume with the grey sleeves)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-15-2015 at 02:12 PM.