Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I always found this Avengers Forever costume variant interesting:
    That was the costume Ian Churchil put the Heroes Reborn version of Wonder Man in.

Peace

I've just googled it. Now I see it in its entirety it does not look good.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

As far as costumes go, the late 90's version is my favorite, followed closely by the short lived grey sleeves one that debuted in Wonder Man #25.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Alas, this was my introduction to Wonder Man; the red n' green rocket pack outfit.

Really enjoyed the first year of his `90's solo series.

Yes, I agree the first year of his solo series was good.
    The last issues of his solo didn't do Simon justice.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

I think in some ways it's easier to write and invulnerable hero in a group than in a solo, partly because you just don't worry about the invulnerable guy.

Also, he needed a good rogue's gallery, and that takes time to build up, and again, it's difficult to bring in a stream of characters who can pose a creditable threat to someone who can shrug-off conventional harm.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Alas, this was my introduction to Wonder Man; the red n' green rocket pack outfit.

Really enjoyed the first year of his `90's solo series.
    I'm so, soooooo sorry for you.

Anyway, seriously, Panic post got me thinking as to who may be Simon's "Rogues Gallery".

Grim Reaper is intinmatelly connected with Wonder Man, but I'd say he is more of an Avengers villain.
    Splice was a Hollywood style assasin created specifically for Wonder Man.
    Rampage was a Champions villain, who, however, found he had a lot in common with Simon, in a bad way.
    Eric Josten (Power Man/Smuggler/Goliath/Atlas - and people badmouth Hank Pym), had an origin that mirrored Simon, and a natural connection to him.
    Enchantress is a Thor? Avengers villainess, but she has bugged him on ocasiuon (not sure if I'd include her, though).
    There was a Lady Lotus type of villainess in the Avengers Two mini-series, wasn't there? I can't remember her name.
    Mephisto messed a lot with him, but he messes with just about anyone, so I don't think he counts. Generic gangbangers ancient evils and Kree soldiers from OGS also don't.

And that's about all I can think. Anyone capable of filling more blanks?

Peace

His brother, the Grim Reaper, if he is still alive.

Nefaria, ditto.

BANNED

He doesn't have any good villains because he was dead during the years Marvel grew the most. Died in 1964, right when Marvel was starting to really get
    popular and still had a relatively clean slate to work from. When Simon woke up in 1976, Marvel was firmly established. Most of the legendary characters
    already had a history with somebody else. I just liked him because I liked him. I had only seen his story in flashbacks and something about him intrigued me.
    But he really had the deck stacked against him due to all the time he was gone. It's such a shame, because he was presented as something really special in
    Avengers 9. Now he's just another strong guy, and few writers ever manage to get across just how powerful he is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Grim Reaper is intinmatelly connected with Wonder Man, but I'd say he is more of an Avengers villain.
    He's an Avengers villain because of Simon though, so he'd definitely be part of Wondy's rogues gallery.

Splice was a Hollywood style assasin created specifically for Wonder Man.
    Yes! I loved Splice--I would love to see him make a comeback, whether or not it is in a rematch with Wonder Man. As a professional assassin, he could have run-ins with a whole range of different heroes.

Rampage was a Champions villain, who, however, found he had a lot in common with Simon, in a bad way.
    Although Rampage was a recurring foe in Simon's solo book, he isn't one I'd be in a huge hurry to revisit.

Eric Josten (Power Man/Smuggler/Goliath/Atlas - and people badmouth Hank Pym), had an origin that mirrored Simon, and a natural connection to him.
    Yeah, Eric used to be a great member of Simon's rogues gallery...but since he started reforming and became Atlas, he doesn't really qualify anymore....unless his ionic energies drive him insane again or something.

But Count Nefaria helps take his place, since Nefaria got his powers partly from imprinting Josten's (as well as Living Laser's and Whirlwind's) into himself...and Nefaria has since become something of an ionic-vampire, using other ionic beings like Simon and Eric to charge himself up.

Enchantress is a Thor? Avengers villainess, but she has bugged him on ocasiuon (not sure if I'd include her, though).
    Due to that MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS story where she fell in love with him, she can qualify for him...but she'll always be more strongly linked with Thor.

There was a Lady Lotus type of villainess in the Avengers Two mini-series, wasn't there? I can't remember her name.
    It WAS Lady Lotus. She was using the name of Lotus Newmark then, but it was later confirmed that she is Lady Lotus from the old INVADERS series.

And that's about all I can think. Anyone capable of filling more blanks?
    Black Talon isn't specifically a Wonder Man foe...but given his role in Simon's resurrection he does have a significant connection to him.

Nekra, as Grim Reaper's occasional lover, could also work.

The Hangman who fought the WCA could work, with their shared backgrounds of actors-turned-superhuman.

Given Simon's more grounded personality, it makes me wonder if he'd be a good bro-match now for Hawkeye. Beast is pretty serious and way busy over in the X-Men and Marvel could use a good "Superman/Batman" type friendship with the skilled guy and the superhuman hanging out. I expect there'd be less tension, but who knows? (I don't really remember much about their interactions in WCA)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-18-2015 at 08:14 AM.

WCA_start.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Given Simon's more grounded personality, it makes me wonder if he'd be a good bro-match now for Hawkeye. Beast is pretty serious and way busy over in the X-Men and Marvel could use a good "Superman/Batman" type friendship with the skilled guy and the superhuman hanging out. I expect there'd be less tension, but who knows? (I don't really remember much about their interactions in WCA)
    If I remember correct...they were good teammates, but I don't think they hung out together much except for the need to train together.
    I’d love to see a stronger friendship between the two.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

LOL...how real battles should be fought.

Wonderman_vs_Jaggernaut.jpg

Astonishing Member

I like the early 1980's version of Simon Williams. I hope to see this version in his attire come back. I believe that Wonderman and Scarlet Spider-Kaine would make for a good dynamic duo..

I like this similar version of his red safari jacket.