Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Happy Birthday George Pérez!!!

I absolutely ADORED the Avengers issues drawn by you featuring Simon and Hank together. They were ALWAYS wonderful Avengers team mates and friends IMO.

Perez was great on the Avengers both times...miss that.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Few artists automatically make you think of Avengers. Perez is one of them. Big John Buscema might be the only other (though personally, I also associate Steve Epting and Dave Ross with them, but that is just me). On modern times of revolving doors creative teams, that is a hard concept to grasp.

Peace

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

John Buscema will always be the definitive Avengers artist for me but Perez definitely had his moments on the title.

So still no sign of Wonder Man coming back in any book?

Amazing Member

Simon is a character that needs a line-wide reboot. He's one of my favorites from my formative comic years, I own each of his solo outings along with my Avengers and WCA issues. But his story has gotten so "broken" that I don't know what else you would do with him. They've played with his power set, going from an immortal strong guy to flight and energy blasts (oh, look, he's Superman) to being pure energy that can grow (Nope, not Superman, now he's a mentally unbalanced Captain Atom or Dr. Manhattan). He's played almost every part, from reluctant villain to insecure hero to fully realized hero to martyr to anti-hero to pacifist to plot device for both Scarlet Witch and Rogue. He never got a good rogues gallery, with Grim Reaper being moved to Vision and Goliath becoming a Thunderbolt, and the rest being cliche movie industry themed villains from his solo series.

A fresh start, free from continuity and plot entanglements, is his best hope. Frankly, sleeping for 1000 years and waking up to be Guardian of the Galaxy was a great way to cut him loose from continuity, 20 years ago. He's a good character, but he's too heavy with previous burdens.

So what is Wonder-Man? He's a regular flawed human for whom power is more often a burden than a joy, but who tries to be a hero despite his normality. It's an archetype the Avengers use and re-use, and there is an arc to their stories with a beginning and an end. He overcame his initial villain role, overcame his insecurities, became a confident hero, and died. He should have gotten a statue and been a role model. Marvel isn't built to have a pantheon like DC. When your story is told, when you've overcome your obstacles, you don't get to go to the Watchtower and be on call when they need Thor and he's not available. In Marvel, you either die nobly, or you go insane from ionic leakage and become the villain in someone else's story arc.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

In anyone here already hasn't, go check out this thread http://community.comicbookresources....nament-Round-5 and vote for Simon before Banshee beats him!!!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Happy Birthday Terry Austin!!!

Wonder Man (Vol 1) #1 and 2. Pages by Jeff Johnson & Terry Austin http://www.comicsreporter.com/index...._terry_austin/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Nathan Fillion recently tweeted this mock-up:
    Attachment 35272
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    This is really cool. I already wanted him to be Green Lantern, but never thoght of how good a fit Booster Gold would be for him. It's really great. Wouldn't mind to see more Marvel characters up there.

Peace
    I also wouldn´t mind to see more Marvel characters up there.

do you consider Simon, his character, to be broken? and, if yes, how do you think they could repair him? additionally, what do you like most about the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    do you consider Simon, his character, to be broken? and, if yes, how do you think they could repair him? additionally, what do you like most about the character?
    Yes he is definitely broken. He needs to be his own man again. Freed from Wanda,Rogue and Vision. He would do well on the Ultimates or even dare I say let him cut loose in space with the guardians. At least he'll have no chains holding him down in space.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Yes he is definitely broken. He needs to be his own man again. Freed from Wanda,Rogue and Vision. He would do well on the Ultimates or even dare I say let him cut loose in space with the guardians. At least he'll have no chains holding him down in space.
    of those two options, I'd prefer it be the Guardians. they are more laid-back.

I do think broken is too extreme a word. There is nothing wrong with the essence of the character. Just some very poor creative choices have been made with him. His being "absorbed" by Rogue certainly the worst of them. I agree that he needs distance from The Vision and the Scarlet Witch (and, now, from Rogue, also). I always thought that the tone and direction of the first seven issues of his series were perfect (than, in an attempt to increase sales, he became the Savage Wonder Man, and lost everything that was unique about the character). Simon was always the sane man in insane worlds (first the normal guy in the crazy world of super-heroes, then, in his series, the regular guy in the absurd world of Hollywood). I'd rather he got his own series agian, but doubt he'd have the sales power to really keep it going for long, other than that, Ultimates and GotG don't feel right to me. The main Avengers book also might not be the right place for him. Perhaps as the powerhouse to a new team, maybe a rogue (no pun intended, nor do I want her near it) team, a team that operates outside the public view?

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Ironically given that how bizarre his backstory is Simon's an everyman.

Unlike his peers in the Avengers he didn't natually take to superheroing and he quit the first chance he got.

He only keeps getting drawn back in because all his friends are heroes and trying to be normal (or as norma as he can get) hasn't worked out for him either.

I'd like to see a book that revisted him trying to make it in Hollywood. Maybe with Simon getting a reality series (much to his humiliation) and dealing with
    the producers trying to make his life more exciting when all he wants is to be on a Cable drama or something.

Wonder Man needs to be saved from Rogue, but he needs to stay in the orbit of Vision and Scarlet Witch.

so what is his status quo after that "Revengers" arc? Did his ionic energy twist his mind?