Fantastic Member

Default 616 Materials to get ready for Secret Wars?

Hey, so I usually only keep up with ultimate, but that is clearly about to become obsolete as a sole interest. So, starting with Secret Wars, I'd obviously like to get involved in the combined universe. Now, I'm kind of a continuity freak, and a little bit meticulous about it, so I was wondering what 616 books I should read up on to get ready for Secret Wars. I know that there are some books already going into the combined universe thing, but I have no idea where to start. The only 616 I've ever read is Age of Ultron (because it led into Cataclysm and I'm a meticulous continuity freak) and Spider-Men.
    Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Pretty much all of Hickman's run on Avengers and New Avengers, the recent stuff with the 'Time Runs Out' tag especially. Avengers World is doing a prequel to those events too shortly. Spidey Verse also has Miles as a focal character.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

If you want to read the lead in to Secret Wars, then there are 2 series I can reccomend:
    Time Runs Out-This is a story in both Avengers and New Avengers, which flashforwards 8 months into the future. Eventually, you see how Earth ends up in the sorry state that its in 8 months later. This story leads directly into Secret Wars.
    Marvel Superheroes:Secret Wars-This is the original 1985 tale of which the new story is based on. Its a pretty good way to get to know a variety of characters, and you only need a basic level of 616 knowledge to understand it. However, it does contain a lot of 'classic comics dialogue'.
    Alternately, you could pick up the Secret Wars Prelude TPB, which contains the stories which lead into, or somehow play a part in Secret Wars. However, as an Ultimate fan, you may already have some of the material it collects. It collects Secret Wars (1985) #10-12, Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates #4 (Reed Richards and the City), New Avengers #1-3 (The New Avengers form), Fantastic Four #611, and Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #1 (Miles Morales' first appearance).
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mighty Roman; 02-04-2015 at 05:08 AM.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

Fantastic Member

Thanks, guys! I'll definitely read all the Hickman stuff on Avengers and New avengers then. Maybe I'll read the 85 secret wars even first though, just because I'm sure there will be some stuff in the material leading up to the new one that rewards those familiar with the old one. Maybe a couple hints are dropped that you wouldn't understand without understanding the old secret wars? I dunno, definitely worth the read either way I'm sure.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    Thanks, guys! I'll definitely read all the Hickman stuff on Avengers and New avengers then. Maybe I'll read the 85 secret wars even first though, just because I'm sure there will be some stuff in the material leading up to the new one that rewards those familiar with the old one. Maybe a couple hints are dropped that you wouldn't understand without understanding the old secret wars? I dunno, definitely worth the read either way I'm sure.
    Even if it doesn't (though since the Beyonder was introduced in this story it is likely so) the original 1984/85 Secret Wars is a great read with a nice range of heroes and villains involved, many of which I'm sure you'll recognise.

If you have the time and either the budget or Marvel Unlimited I would recommend reading allot more of Hickman's Marvel stuff plus the 3 previous Secret Wars series.

Recommended Reading

Secret Wars #1-12 - As of Avengers #41 there hasn't been a direct reference to the events of the original Secret Wars, but I would guess that something will be referenced before this is complete. Either way the knowing what happened in the original series and gaining some background info on the Beyonder will help moving forward.

Secret Wars II #1-9 - I haven't gotten around to reading this yet, but I am definitely going to read through it in the next month or so.

"Secret Wars 3" - Fantastic Four #318-319 - More background info on Molecule Man, The Beyonder, and the race of Beyonders.

Hickman's F4/FF Run - Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-5, Fantastic Four #570-588, 600-605, FF #1-23 - About the first 3/4 of the run are an epic story that has multiple threads that are picked up again in Avengers/NA. The final 1/4 is pretty much an epilogue and the set up for the Incursion story line. Its an awesome read, one of my all time favorites and it has definitely increased my enjoyment of the current stuff. If your going to read it, find a reading order online because it is not very self explanatory.

S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol 1 #1-6, Vol 2 #1-6 - The final 2 issues of volume 2 have not been released yet. While what has been released seems to tie in to the FF run more than the Avengers/NA run, most people assume that the last 2 issues will somehow relate to the incursions.

Finally I would definitely recommend reading the entire Avengers/NA/Infinity run. While you can get somewhat caught up by just reading the "Time Runs Out" portion, you will never be able to grasp the whole picture.

If you are still looking for more background info, you can read Hickman's Ultimates run for some insight into Ultimate Reed. You could also take a look at the Battleworld map and read up on any of the alternate universes that interest you.

I forgot Avengers World. I would say the upcoming "Before Time Runs Out" arc should definitely be read, but everything before that is optional.

Hickman's Ultimates run seems to be important as well.