Page 1 of 74 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairy Tail

Incredible Member Reverse Happy's Avatar

Default Fairy Tail

Sad to see the Anime & Manga board gone!

To avoid spoiling people in the omnibus threads (or having to talk in all-spoilers all the time), I'm creating a Fairy Tail thread for discussing the manga/anime.

Lucy Heartfilia, a young summoner, joins the infamous magic guild Fairy Tail after meeting Natsu Dragneel, a rowdy fire mage from FT looking for his adoptive dragon father. Along with Natsu's talking cat Happy, they gradually form a questing group with Gray Fullbuster, an ice mage with a compulsive stripping habit, and Erza Scarlet, a stern armor mage. The guild finds itself pulled into conflicts as shadowy villains seek to revive the ancient black mage Zeref.
    Crunchyroll has the latest manga chapter legitimately free to read. (Back issues require a paid membership though.)
    It also has most of the anime episodes (currently missing eps 13-48), but the latest episode is paid-only (basically the reverse of the manga situation).
    Hulu also has most episodes.

The artist regularly posts sketches on his Twitter feed.

Here there be manga spoilers!

So, chapter 384.

IT'S HAPPENING!

Things unfolded a lot better than I expected. I was wondering how the three spirits were going to turn things around in a reasonable manner, and it turns out they couldn't. Instead, Lucy and Aquarius got a nice moment, and Lucy finally summoned the Spirit King!

Lucky the falling Cube rubble didn't crush Magnolia. (OTOH, if it had passed out of Magnolia airspace, does that mean it already finished razing the town? Bad day.)

It'd be neat we got a quest arc for reforging Aquarius's key. Particularly since having all 12 might become important later in the plot. But more likely, it'll get quick-fixed by something else.
    Last edited by Reverse Happy; 05-21-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added legit manga/anime links

Extraordinary Member

These last two chapters were great

New anime episode's out. Good timing on the Lucy-centric fight and Aquarius appearance!

Looks like there's at least one more week of Executioner fights to go, though. Urgh. The filler padding is reasonably entertaining and in-character, but doesn't get anywhere fast.

Extraordinary Member

I have been loving the Lucy-focused material so far. It's always great when she gets to show off that she's not just bumbling comic relief and fan-service.

And the insight into Aquarius and how she viewed her relationship with Lucy was awesome but heartbreaking and really made the whole scenario in this latest chapter emotional. Also, Lucy's new power didn't come from a nakama power up or any of that feelings stuff. It was a sacrifice that worked because Lucy's grown strong enough to pull it off and Aquarius was there to tell her what had to be done. Great stuff.

And the Spirit King swooping in was badass, almost as badass as the last page with the two kings staring off against each other. My main concern would be what happened to the other Fairy Tail wizards when the monster HQ was destroyed.

And the filler in this week's anime was just horrendous. It completely ruined the pacing of the fight with the executioners. Those fights are supposed to be quick to show that these guys were never a threat to Fairy Tail in the first place.

Default Chapter 385

Aw, for a sec I thought Juvia had come to the rescue. But whoa, Stellar Spirit Lucy fusion actually happened I can't tell if it gives her command of water powers, or just auto-defense. Probably going to wear off next week.

Hit by Urano Metria. Is this the end (again) for Jackal?

Celestial Spirit King is causing lots of landscape damage, but mostly missing his target. And it feels too early for King of Hades to get taken out. Not sure how to end this fight gracefully.

Everyone else still MIA.

Extraordinary Member

Damn!

Celestial Spirit King vs Marde Guille is epic as all **** but Lucy ain't gonna stand on the side lines being useless.

Urano Meteoria FTW suckers!!!

FINALLY, the anime got through the Executioners! While seeing more paper colors was neat, they didn't exactly blow the budget on Mira vs Kamika.

Hopefully they're planning to blow it on next week's ep, because it's do-or-die time with the threesome.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Happy View Post
    FINALLY, the anime got through the Executioners! While seeing more paper colors was neat, they didn't exactly blow the budget on Mira vs Kamika.

Hopefully they're planning to blow it on next week's ep, because it's do-or-die time with the threesome.
    Yeah, and they couldn't even get the pacing right for this final installment.

Though I did enjoy a lot of the filler material they sprakled into it all.

From the preview it does look like the threesome throwdown will get some nice animation.

Remember when Sayla said her bomb was about 500x stronger than Jupiter? I just realized that if you go by blast volume, it works out to "only" an 8x larger blast radius:

(Old guild building. Smaller circle is Jupiter estimate.)

That's still bigger than the explosion we got, but not as town-engulfing as I initially imagined. (OTOH, the shockwave would destroy a wider radius than the fireball.)
    Last edited by Reverse Happy; 05-26-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Remember when Sayla said her bomb was about 500x stronger than Jupiter? I just realized that if you go by blast volume, it works out to "only" an 8x larger blast radius:

(Old guild building. Smaller circle is Jupiter estimate.)

That's still bigger than the explosion we got, but not as town-engulfing as I initially imagined. (OTOH, the shockwave would destroy a wider radius than the fireball.)
    Yeah, what Sayla's bomb did wasn't anything that Natsu hasn't done by himself. If it had been that much stronger than Jupiter it probably would've killed a bunch of civilians and Mashima probably didn't want that kind of downer at the big battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Yeah, what Sayla's bomb did wasn't anything that Natsu hasn't done by himself. If it had been that much stronger than Jupiter it probably would've killed a bunch of civilians and Mashima probably didn't want that kind of downer at the big battle.
    Then again, Cube just razed at least a chunk of town anyway, including the cathedral.

Chapter 386!

Huh, so undoing Alegria required extra work on top of destroying Cube. Surprisingly, the Stellar Spirit King even petrified Mard Geer (for now?).

Dang, suddenly a 4-on-4 battle. Chances are it'll break up into 1-on-1s, though. But what matchups?

Tempester learned a new trick. Somebody still needs to collect a blood sample from him for Luxus et al.

Erza's free, but still stuck in her scheduled Minerva rematch away from the others.

How many demons left? FT's odds suddenly seem a lot better, and the Oracion Seis haven't shown up yet.

Defeated:
    Franmalth
    Ezel
    Sayla
    Lamy
    Jackal
    Cube
    Mard Geer

Active:
    Minerva
    Kyouka
    Trafzer
    Ki-Su
    Tempester
    Silver

Then there's E.N.D.

Hmm, so everyone's pretty much accounted for. Unless Natsu's group starts losing, there doesn't seem a whole lot left for Gerard's group to do.

Extraordinary Member

Awesome chapter. But I'm partial since I do love a good Big Damn Heroes moment.

Let's rock!
    Huh, so undoing Alegria required extra work on top of destroying Cube. Surprisingly, the Stellar Spirit King even petrified Mard Geer (for now?).
    I really doubt that he's completely defeated. He'll be out of the game while Fairy Tail beats up the other demons and then he'll come back somehow.
    Dang, suddenly a 4-on-4 battle. Chances are it'll break up into 1-on-1s, though. But what matchups?
    The match-ups were pretty obviously set up in this chapter I think.

Gajeel vs. Torafusa
    Juvia vs. Keith
    Gray vs. Silver (will be interesting to see since Silver seems to be on a completely different level)
    Natsu vs. Tempesta
    Tempester learned a new trick.
    Probably has something to do with his new body.

Active:
    Minerva
    Kyouka
    Trafzer
    Ki-Su
    Tempester
    Silver

Then there's E.N.D.

Hmm, so everyone's pretty much accounted for. Unless Natsu's group starts losing, there doesn't seem a whole lot left for Gerard's group to do.
    Well, Kyouka doesn't have a new opponent yet so who knows what she'll be doing Chances are that she'll try to wake up E.N.D.

And my official guess for Silver's identity is that he's Gray's son from the future.

Default Episode 9

Woohoo, the animation picked up for the threesome The whole three-way exchange went a lot faster than I thought they'd ever animate. Hope they can keep it up! (Or at least not regress all the way back.)

I like the sound effect for Minerva's magic.

Kagura's eyes are being drawn really big compared to the manga.

Extraordinary Member

That threeway fight was some awesome I was sad that it ended so quickly. But its brevity was probably one of the reason why they could do such an excellent job with it.

Hopefully they'll make Erza vs. Kagura awesome as well, maybe even improve it in general.