Page 53 of 75 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairy Tail

Incredible Member Reverse Happy's Avatar

Darn retcons. I distinctly recall a flashback panel of Igneel teaching Natsu how to read in chapter 2.

At least it's consistent with "oh we dragons screwed with your memories bcuz PLAN."

Unrelated, but poor Wendy with that Jerza sandwich. Hasn't she been traumatized enough in her life?
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Happy View Post
    Darn retcons. I distinctly recall a flashback panel of Igneel teaching Natsu how to read in chapter 2.
    For me its the Qui-Gon Jinn/Yoda thing. Obi-Wan tells Luke Yoda trained him, not a guy named Qui-Gon Jinn, but its not a retcon because Yoda was a teacher of Obi-Wan. I apply the same here, Anna says she taught Natsu to read but we've also seen Igneel doing the same. Nothing contradictory though about having two teachers.

I'm not saying all this is what the writer had in mind, for all I know he really did forget and messed up. But internally the logic works well enough for me that it doesn't hurt the story.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Default Chapter 531

spoilers:
    So motion sickness does work on Acno. I'm starting to believe the theory that Universe One only kept him away so long because he materialized on a boat
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    For me its the Qui-Gon Jinn/Yoda thing. Obi-Wan tells Luke Yoda trained him, not a guy named Qui-Gon Jinn, but its not a retcon because Yoda was a teacher of Obi-Wan. I apply the same here, Anna says she taught Natsu to read but we've also seen Igneel doing the same. Nothing contradictory though about having two teachers.
    Maybe three, if we go by the filler flashback where young Erza had to give Natsu a refresher bootcamp

Extraordinary Member

Just when you thought that the motion sickness joke wouldn't be relevant ever again.

I hope that Natsu actvating dragon force and Lucy opening the book will lead to Demon Dragon Natsu, and that Zeref can muster up enough power to properly fight against that.

Extraordinary Member

Double chapter!!!

The colored covers are nice, and while most of the people are paired up in shippings we've got Cana and Gildartz there, and I'm pretty sure that Mashima doesn't cater to the incest crowd. So I can still see the picture with Natsu and Lucy as them just being buds (I will hold on to their friendship until the series says otherwise).

Zeref is really scared of Acnologia. I mean, I knew he was at least concerned about that monster, but I always thought it was more an acknowledgement of Acnologia as a worthy foe. But Zeref is dead certain that in a fair fight he's got nothing on Acnologia, and the future he's afraid of sounds downright horrifying for him and Mavis.

spoilers:
    Not certain how I feel about Zeref's transformation. Designwise I've always liked the simple addition of light wings to indicate greater power. Everything about him turning while however feels a little lacking. It might look more interesting when contrasted to whatever for Natsu will get when Lucy's done rewriting the book of E.N.D. But I still would've wanted to see more fighting from regular Zeref before jumping into a super mode.
    end of spoilers

That also a nice touch to make Lucy relevant for this brother vs. brother showdown, while acting as a call back to one of the earliest missions.

Was getting all your magic stolen part of your plan?

Dang, I forgot Natsu didn't know about Makarov's death yet.

Extraordinary Member

Default Chapter 535

Looks like the Zeref fight is about to finish up.

Nice way to let Gray do something Gerard also gets effort points, although he's about to get squished like a soda can unless somebody saves him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Happy View Post
    Looks like the Zeref fight is about to finish up.
    That would be disappointing.

They've barely done anything memorable. Besides Zeref getting a new form and reassmbling himself they've only punched each other a lot.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

So 10 chapters left. This chapter wraps up Zeref vs. Natsu and has Ichiya and Anna seemingly sacrifice themselves to push Acnologia into the time rift. Mavis returns, but has a rather dark expression on her face. What is her plan to deal with Zeref's immortality?

Although Mavis still has to do her thing, and Natsu probably has to save Lucy from whatever consequences she faces for rewriting the Book of END, 9 chapters remaining is a lot, so I don't think Acnologia is properly dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    That would be disappointing.

They've barely done anything memorable. Besides Zeref getting a new form and reassmbling himself they've only punched each other a lot.
    Yeah, it isn't exactly a memorable final bout for them. The pre-transformation fight wasn't bad per se, there was some good bobbing and weaving in there, but Zeref's transformation basically amounted to quickly taking out Natsu, only to be quickly taken out by a revived Natsu.

Hopefully Acnologia comes back and provides a suitably epic final battle.

Damn, I expected Anna, but Ichiya too? It certainly was a badass way to go out though. But unless we're getting like, an 8 issue epilogue, Acnologia might not be done yet, so maybe Anna and Ichiya are still alive.

In any case, the ending is shaping up to at least be better than the massive disappointment of Bleach, but it won't be without its disappointments as well. We won't get any really cool Natsu transformation, sadly. The 12 were pretty much wasted but, I suppose that's better than main character arcs falling flat, which I don't think will be the case for the most part.

I wish I would have caught on to the manga sooner and been able to follow it for a longer time, I always seem to get into things right before they're almost over, but I had a lot of fun for 2 years, and there's still the last series of the anime to look forward to.

Actually, I take back what I said about no transformation for Natsu. If Acnologia isn't quite done yet, we still might be able to see something if Natsu and the Dragon Slayers vs. Acnologia happens.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-19-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Got a bit of a life trade-off here
    spoilers:
    Mavis and Zeref finally die and find peace together, their mutual love for one another causing the Contradiction of their both losing their lives, and its heavily implied that this someone leads to reviving Makarov
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

If this is what all the final nine chapters are going to be like I am going to be serverly disappointed.

There is a good aspect about this chapter. Mavis' conflicted emotions towards Zeref are presetend in a believable and compelling way. You can really feel the struggle she's going through in this chapter and it's solid character stuff.

But...

spoilers:
    That's how you end Zeref? One of your two main big bads? First he has the most disappointing and lacklustre final fight I've seen in recent memory and then he and Mavis just die because their curse take them both out? There is something amazingly dull about that.

Why would you revive Makarov? I like the character and all that but he had a great death scene! Like, it was heroic, firmly rooted in his character, actually made me tear up and is the first genuine consequence that has befallen Fairy Tail for ages. I don't care how you're going to explain it away, it's a dumb thing to undo.
    end of spoilers

You better bring back Acnologia next chapter and then give us seven chapters of awesome fighting before ending it all with a satisfying epilogue! Because I am getting tired of this nonsense!

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Yeah, I mean, there was a trade of life at least, but Makarov's final stand was actually a good death. It wasn't like Gajeel's fake-out where the "death" was sudden and almost random. I feel like maybe Mashima just wants to preserve the joke that Makarov has to end up being the guild master--not even death lets him give up the position.

I'm fine with Mavis and Zeref taking each other out, just wish that Zeref and Natsu had at least one chapter of decent back and forth before their final punches. Fucking trace a Negima fight or something, I don't care.