Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 903

Thread: Fairy Tail

  1. #76
    Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Hello, I got into Fairy Tail not so long ago (just read vol. 10) and I have a question, if you guys don't mind.

    One of my issues with action shonen manga is that it lack of women who can really kick ass. Not with magic powers or healing, or guns, but physically, with their fists or their sword. Yes, there are strong women, but most of the times, they are support characters (Tsunade), teachers (Biscuit), or end up being outclassed (Android 18). Or they are in a all women manga (Claymore)
    What I'd like to see is a female Zoro, a female Vegeta, a female Hiei.
    And so far, Erza seems to be that. And that's awesome.

    So my question to readers who are up to date is: is she still one of the most powerfull main characters? Is she still a female Zoro (or at least Sanji) or is she now as irrelevant (in fights) as Nico Robin?
    Oh you've got nothing to worry about there. Erza remains so hax and skilled that in the later arcs a lot of people kept waiting for her to fight someone she couldn't beat, just for a change, or at least someone who could both give her a tough fight *and* not suddenly get one-shotted after a 'behold my resolve' moment. Not counting the final villain of the Tenrou arc, as that was a team battle against someone clearly above any member of the team alone. Arguably the person she did have a one on one fight with in the Tenrou Island Arc qualifies, as she needed extraneous circumstances, but nonetheless she remains pretty top tier throughout the entire manga so far.

  2. #77
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Oh you've got nothing to worry about there. Erza remains so hax and skilled that in the later arcs a lot of people kept waiting for her to fight someone she couldn't beat, just for a change, or at least someone who could both give her a tough fight *and* not suddenly get one-shotted after a 'behold my resolve' moment. Not counting the final villain of the Tenrou arc, as that was a team battle against someone clearly above any member of the team alone. Arguably the person she did have a one on one fight with in the Tenrou Island Arc qualifies, as she needed extraneous circumstances, but nonetheless she remains pretty top tier throughout the entire manga so far.
    Indeed.

    Erza is still badass and kicks ass all over the place and we don't want that to change. What most people are kinda hoping for is that she'd kick ass in more varied and intersting ways.

    I just want her to use her armors again. I've had enough of the flame pants.

  3. #78
    Truth and Conviction Hazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,213

    Default

    Meh, I want everyone in Fairy Tail to lose at this point.

    Seriously, can you try winning without plot armor (and Ezra is especially guilty of this)?

    Mind, the current arc has been pretty good in this regard. Minus some stuff.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

  4. #79
    Mighty Member mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,886

    Default

    Thank you for the answers. Can't wait to catch up to vol. 44.

  5. #80
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,553

    Default

    Ice Trail 2:

    No rest for Gray and he jumps from one rather well-coregraphed fight scene to another crisis.

    Bit surprised that Nano didn't stick around longer in the story.

  6. #81

  7. #82
    Fantastic Member Reverse Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    477

    Default Chapter 397

    What? GAZILLE is evolving!
    .
    .
    .
    GAZILLE evolved into GASTEEL!

  8. #83
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,553

    Default

    I overall like this chapter.

    The fight has a nice flow with the advantage going back and for. Levy got to use her power nicely. Gajeel's victory works rather well I think. I also kinda love the stinger about his and Natsu' bet.

    My main criticism however is regarding the old council woman. She and her connection to Gajeel was a bit sudden. I think that it would've worked better if the scene where he and Shadow Gear find her dead had shown earlier in the arc without telling us who she was to him and then revealing it in this chapter.

    So that leaves us with Tempesta (who'll probably be finished off by Natsu), Kyouka (who is currently kinda MIA) and Mard Geer (I doubt the twin dragons will beat him but that would be nice it they did).
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 08-25-2014 at 04:01 PM.

  9. #84
    Fantastic Member Reverse Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    My main criticism however is regarding the old council woman. She and her connection to Gajeel was a bit sudden. I think that it would've worked better if the scene where he and Shadow Gear find her dead had shown earlier in the arc without telling us who she was to him and then revealing it in this chapter.
    That would've worked better. His initial reaction in 363 was too subtle to read anything personal into.

    So that leaves us with Tempesta (who'll probably be finished off by Natsu), Kyouka (who is currently kinda MIA) and Mard Geer (I doubt the twin dragons will beat him but that would be nice it they did).
    Oddly, the next chapter is titled "Final one-on-one," which I doubt will be true. Unless it's just referring to the 3v3, and not the other battles.

  10. #85
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Hello, I got into Fairy Tail not so long ago (just read vol. 10) and I have a question, if you guys don't mind.

    One of my issues with action shonen manga is that it lack of women who can really kick ass. Not with magic powers or healing, or guns, but physically, with their fists or their sword. Yes, there are strong women, but most of the times, they are support characters (Tsunade), teachers (Biscuit), or end up being outclassed (Android 18). Or they are in a all women manga (Claymore)
    What I'd like to see is a female Zoro, a female Vegeta, a female Hiei.
    And so far, Erza seems to be that. And that's awesome.

    So my question to readers who are up to date is: is she still one of the most powerfull main characters? Is she still a female Zoro (or at least Sanji) or is she now as irrelevant (in fights) as Nico Robin?
    I think that there are female characters in shonen anime who have the potential to be interesting but just go under-developed. I've seen Bleach and Naruto in particular accused of this. Also what's wrong with knowing how to use guns, magic (which is actually what Erza does) or healing. Those are fully useful skills.

  11. #86
    Fantastic Member Reverse Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Also what's wrong with knowing how to use guns, magic (which is actually what Erza does) or healing. Those are fully useful skills.
    Well, close combat is kicking ass in the most literal sense. In an adventuring party, it'd be the front-line fighter role, whereas guns/bows/magic are ranged fire support, and healing is healing. Mugiwara's looking for more women in role #1, where there's arguably the greatest shortage. #3 is all-too-common, and healers don't get to fight. (Not while they're busy healing, anyway.)

    FT magic fights involve lots of close combat anyway. Erza may use magic to swap equipment, but her attacks are almost all physical swordplay (with the occasional Tenrin swordspam). Her ultimate move is to stop using magic and just cut the other guy.
    Last edited by Reverse Happy; 08-26-2014 at 07:27 PM.

  12. #87
    Fantastic Member Reverse Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    477

    Default Episode 22

    Looks like they spent most of the episode budget on Last Ages. It was a good scene, but the music change when the narrator started speaking kinda broke the mood.

    Still annoyed that there was never an explanation for Makarov not using Fairy Law in this situation.

  13. #88
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Hello, I got into Fairy Tail not so long ago (just read vol. 10) and I have a question, if you guys don't mind.

    One of my issues with action shonen manga is that it lack of women who can really kick ass. Not with magic powers or healing, or guns, but physically, with their fists or their sword. Yes, there are strong women, but most of the times, they are support characters (Tsunade), teachers (Biscuit), or end up being outclassed (Android 18). Or they are in a all women manga (Claymore)
    What I'd like to see is a female Zoro, a female Vegeta, a female Hiei.
    And so far, Erza seems to be that. And that's awesome.

    So my question to readers who are up to date is: is she still one of the most powerfull main characters? Is she still a female Zoro (or at least Sanji) or is she now as irrelevant (in fights) as Nico Robin?
    Era is the only female character in the series who kicks as much ass if not more than the main male cast. But to the detriment of other female characters especially the main female she always looks good in her battles and gains power ups every new opponent she faces like Natsu. I believe she is mashimas pet darling due to all the victories and progressive ties in the story she achieves, more so than Lucy and Wendy. Lucy at this point isn't as fleshed out as Erza is and just like in the jackal encounter hasn't been pushed or faced with tough choices which would mature her character like Erza has

  14. #89
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Era is the only female character in the series who kicks as much ass if not more than the main male cast. But to the detriment of other female characters especially the main female she always looks good in her battles and gains power ups every new opponent she faces like Natsu. I believe she is mashimas pet darling due to all the victories and progressive ties in the story she achieves, more so than Lucy and Wendy. Lucy at this point isn't as fleshed out as Erza is and just like in the jackal encounter hasn't been pushed or faced with tough choices which would mature her character like Erza has
    Erza's victories don't effect the other female characters beyond solidifying her big sister/heavy artiliary role. It certainly doesn't have any impact on their personal stories.

    Lucy has faced several conflicts that has tested her on several levels and the outcomes generally lead to her becoming a stronger person. And while her victories aren't as constant and generally not on the same level as Erza's, Lucy has kicked plenty of ass and just recently saved the entire freaking guild on her own.

    When it comes to Wendy she started out as nothing but a medic with one powerful attack. But her role on the battlefield has steadily grown from arc to arc and she's been getting into the battles more and more of her own volition and out of all the character she has the most noticeable upward progress in combat ability. Now she's able to defeat a Natsu level opponent on her own.

    If there's anything that would be detrimental to their characters it's that Mashima sometimes uses them a bit too much for fan service and/or humor.

  15. #90
    Fantastic Member Reverse Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    477

    Default Chapter 398

    Whoa, a lot happened in this chapter, half good, half bad.

    Gray easily icing Tempester was cool, but also anticlimactic. I notice none of the demons have been getting off their suicide moves lately.

    Erza dropping Shroom-malth was just stupidly careless*, and bound to bite them in the ass later. Much like Mira not finishing off or absorbing Sayla earlier, and instead letting her complete the Face plan and get absorbed by Kyouka. OTOH, seeing both Sayla and Mira come back briefly was kind of nice.

    *: Mashima should've just written this as Erza dropping Shroom-malth *after* getting Macro'd. That would've achieved the same result without requiring Erza to be a complete moron.

    Anyway, it's finally time to settle Erza vs Kyouka! Helmetless Kyouka vs Armadura Fairy Erza! GET HYPE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •