Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Ryan Reynolds Didn't Read a Script Before Signing on to "Green Lantern"

The actor has revealed that a script didn't exist during auditions for "Green Lantern," a stark contrast to the long-developing "Deadpool."

Full article here.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I am glad they learned their lesson and pushed BvS back from 2015 to 2016. The GL had potential, I enjoyed it for what it was but if they pushed it back a year polish the script, it would have been much better.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    I am glad they learned their lesson and pushed BvS back from 2015 to 2016. The GL had potential, I enjoyed it for what it was but if they pushed it back a year polish the script, it would have been much better.
    Here's hoping the second cinematic go round on Green Lantern'll work out better, no matter which Lantern, or how many, or Oa, or Earth.

8 years since should be more than long enough, whoever is cast, story, antagonist or no, love or no, all that. Rich enough a mythos to launch sequels, spin-offs, TV series, all sorts.

Hope they get another show actually - and I don't mean the Corp!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Here's hoping the second cinematic go round on Green Lantern'll work out better, no matter which Lantern, or how many, or Oa, or Earth.

8 years since should be more than long enough, whoever is cast, story, antagonist or no, love or no, all that. Rich enough a mythos to launch sequels, spin-offs, TV series, all sorts.

Hope they get another show actually - and I don't mean the Corp!
    If it's not about Hal, I don't think I'll be able to care.
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

For the life of me I have no idea why GL failed so badly at the box office. I thought it was amazing! However there were some flaws.

1. GL relied to heavily on SF. The costume shouldn't have been CGI and not all of the characters needed to be either. Look at Gaurdians of the Galaxy. Most of the characters wore make-up and Rocket Racoon wasn't even CGI, he was a puppet.
    2. Hector Hemmond wasn't that good of a villain. Even worst the actor playing him was terrible. He sounded like a girl whenever he screamed.
    3. I strongly believed they should have skipped the build-up and went straight for Sinestro. Not only is he a compelling character all on his own, but is GL's greatest enemy. It's always a great idea to the greatest villains in the first movie like the original SM did with Green Goblin, the FF had Dr. Doom and X-Men had Magneto (with the Avengers being a rare exception).
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    For the life of me I have no idea why GL failed so badly at the box office. I thought it was amazing! However there were some flaws.
    It had bad buzz and terrible reviews across the board. Some brands can still make successful films in spite of that, Batman or Superman probably could have managed it, but Green Lantern was an unknown idea to the general audience at the time. The goofy 'Green Lantern' name and goofy CGI costume probably didn't help. If the film had actually been good this wouldn't have been a problem, word of mouth and good reviews would have seen it do better.

BANNED

The new GL film should be set in space and feature the Corps, and the lesser known guys like Ismat Kol and Vandor.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

There's a joke in there about not reading scripts.

GL wasn't a terrible movie but it was kinda mediocre and mediocre is only acceptable to audiences from Marvel.
    Seriously that year's best performing comic book movie in the US was Thor. I'd rank First Class, The First Avenger and Green Lantern as more entertaining than Thor but Thor did have a good villain in Loki. Most comic book movies including GL don't have good villains.

I still hope they just jump into a story with Hal and John as buddy cops and bring in all the color Corps.
    Team movies do better and a team of Lanterns, human and alien like GotG, would work. Heck GotG was the GL movie we should have had: Killowog Ch'p, Medophyl, Laira or Boodika, etc.

BANNED

GL died at the BO because it was a terrible movie. It was terrible compared to other terrible movies. Taste is one thing, but objective quality is a universal truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    GL died at the BO because it was a terrible movie. It was terrible compared to other terrible movies. Taste is one thing, but objective quality is a universal truth.
    I don't understand what you mean.

I was disappointed by Green Lantern, but I don't feel it to be terrible, or anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be.

There's always Superman IV, Batman & Robin, or Catwoman, for the truly, truly bad. Not Green Lantern, or The Last Stand, or even Spider-Man 3, or TASM 2, which have their good and bad points, and I like, especially SM3.

All sorts to explore in a new adaptation, reboot, be it Sinestro, Hector Hammond again, Parallax again, the Manhunters, the Spectre, Nekron, Atrocitus, Saint Walker, Larfleeze, Star Saphires and so much more.

Of course Ryan didn't read the script. He was probably to busy re-reading all those zeros on the check they gave him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    I don't understand what you mean.

I was disappointed by Green Lantern, but I don't feel it to be terrible, or anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be.

There's always Superman IV, Batman & Robin, or Catwoman, for the truly, truly bad. Not Green Lantern, or The Last Stand, or even Spider-Man 3, or TASM 2, which have their good and bad points, and I like, especially SM3.

All sorts to explore in a new adaptation, reboot, be it Sinestro, Hector Hammond again, Parallax again, the Manhunters, the Spectre, Nekron, Atrocitus, Saint Walker, Larfleeze, Star Saphires and so much more.
    Nah GL is like Kangaroo Jack bad. It's like bad Last Starfighter version with none of the fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post

1. GL relied to heavily on SF. The costume shouldn't have been CGI and not all of the characters needed to be either. Look at Gaurdians of the Galaxy. Most of the characters wore make-up and Rocket Racoon wasn't even CGI, he was a puppet.
    2. Hector Hemmond wasn't that good of a villain. Even worst the actor playing him was terrible. He sounded like a girl whenever he screamed.
    3. I strongly believed they should have skipped the build-up and went straight for Sinestro. Not only is he a compelling character all on his own, but is GL's greatest enemy. It's always a great idea to the greatest villains in the first movie like the original SM did with Green Goblin, the FF had Dr. Doom and X-Men had Magneto (with the Avengers being a rare exception).
    I don't think you see a puppet of Rocket Raccoon once the whole movie.

BANNED

Most of these superhero movies likely don't have script when actors sign on.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Most of these superhero movies likely don't have script when actors sign on.
    True, and even if there is, they usually sign 3 or 4 picture deals, so they are saying yes to movies with no scripts in the end.

I don't think the script was the major flaw in GL, it was just lackluster in look and execution.

I agree with others here who say it wasn't terrible, it just wasn't good.