Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Nah GL is like Kangaroo Jack bad. It's like bad Last Starfighter version with none of the fun.
    Ah. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    For the life of me I have no idea why GL failed so badly at the box office. I thought it was amazing! However there were some flaws.
    Yeah my best friend, his wife and I all went to see the movie and we had all waited for the Dollar Theater because the reviews and word of mouth were so bad. We just looked at each other as we watched the movie. After, we all were amazed that this movie had gotten such bad press and bad reaction. Jordan wasn't really the comic Jordan, at least not early comic Jordan. He was a bit Jordan and a bit Gardner. I agree with your flaws too. But, even so, I thought it was a decent movie and such a rarity for any DC character who is not Batman or Superman to even get a movie. We all found it to be a lot of fun and a pretty fair rendition of the GL mythology, one of those movies that you walk out feeling hyped about after you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    GL died at the BO because it was a terrible movie. It was terrible compared to other terrible movies. Taste is one thing, but objective quality is a universal truth.
    Yes. Terrible movies always die at the box office and great movies always succeed. And there is no such thing as "objective" when it comes to opinions about movie quality.

For me the problem is Reynolds. He's not super hero material.

All-New Member

He comes off as throwing the creative team under the bus. "oh, but I loved the opportunity and would do it again!" Text book passive aggressive behaviour right there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by smart_alek View Post
    He comes off as throwing the creative team under the bus. "oh, but I loved the opportunity and would do it again!" Text book passive aggressive behaviour right there.
    To be fair, the creative team seemed to consist of a horrible script, pedestrian direction and ugly CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    For the life of me I have no idea why GL failed so badly at the box office. I thought it was amazing! However there were some flaws.

1. GL relied to heavily on SF. The costume shouldn't have been CGI and not all of the characters needed to be either. Look at Gaurdians of the Galaxy. Most of the characters wore make-up and Rocket Racoon wasn't even CGI, he was a puppet.
    2. Hector Hemmond wasn't that good of a villain. Even worst the actor playing him was terrible. He sounded like a girl whenever he screamed.
    3. I strongly believed they should have skipped the build-up and went straight for Sinestro. Not only is he a compelling character all on his own, but is GL's greatest enemy. It's always a great idea to the greatest villains in the first movie like the original SM did with Green Goblin, the FF had Dr. Doom and X-Men had Magneto (with the Avengers being a rare exception).
    I think the problem was less that it performed terribly and more that it NEEDED to perform great. It was an expensive movie to make, so even if it just performs so-so it's still going to be viewed as a let down. You don't make movies in order to barely break even.

Quote Originally Posted by Cometman View Post
    For me the problem is Reynolds. He's not super hero material.
    It depends what super hero. I think he'll make a pretty good Deadpool.

Not sure whose idea it was to cast him as Hal Jordan though. Maybe Kyle Rayner but not Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Not sure whose idea it was to cast him as Hal Jordan though. Maybe Kyle Rayner but not Hal.
    IIRC, it was down to Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds and Justin Timberlake, back in 2010/2011m so it was really either Cooper, or Reynolds, I'd say, but some might've preferred ol' Rocket rustling round the galaxy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Well, the character was clearly meant to be funny. I'm guessing that movie was just a somewhat reworked version of the Jack Black Green Lantern film that was in development before the one they made.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Well, the character was clearly meant to be funny. I'm guessing that movie was just a somewhat reworked version of the Jack Black Green Lantern film that was in development before the one they made.
    Really?? That would have been a horror and I'm not even a Green Lantern Fan.

Since I really knew next to nothing about the character other than from Saturday morning cartoons many years ago, I had no expectations for this movie and didn't hate it. I found it to be fairly mindless eye candy and was worth watching once. I did hate the cgi suit though. I though that was a pretty stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Most of these superhero movies likely don't have script when actors sign on.
    Iron Man didn't have a completed script when they started filming.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by smart_alek View Post
    Pretty much he als helped sink Blade 3 so he knows a little something about being in terrible flops.

... there wasn't a proper script to Iron Man either. The Deadpool movie could still suck. In any case, good luck on the new project but I'm not sure of Mr. Reynolds' point.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Pretty much he als helped sink Blade 3 so he knows a little something about being in terrible flops.
    Don't forget that Snail animated movie which also underperformed, think that was the same year as GL also