Super Moderator

Default Poll: What Did You Think of the First Trailer for Netflix's "Daredevil"?

What Did You Think of the First Trailer for Netflix's "Daredevil"?

Now that you've had your first glimpse of what Netflix and Marvel have in store for the Man Without Fear, how stoked are you for "Daredevil?"

Vote on the poll here.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Picked This Is Great, though I doubt I'll binge watch so much as see an episode every day like I do with most Netflix shows I see. Two weeks of DD will be awesome.

Amazing Member

Will probably watch but fear it will go the same way as Agents of Shield and actively avoid too many comic booky elements. From the trailer it seems to be trying to be a grim and gritty crime show, perhaps in the belief that this will draw in a non geek crowd. i suspect this will only work on the netflix model as even if it is bad most people will eventually finish the series over a long period.
    And the costume, is it just me or is there nothing about it that screams this is a comic book character called Daredevil.
    Interesting that Marvel found a formula for making Comics Work in the Cinema by making it a visual comic, DC then made TV shows that never hid but in fact gloried in the idea that these are costumed heroes and villains and had much success, but Marvel on TV at least seems to be harking back to an era when people believed that you had to avoid the Geek market if you wanted people to watch your show, and then couldn't understand why thei shows kept being cancelled after one season.

Nonsense, Marvel TV is full of continuity and obscure source materials references for "geeks". They are merely shackled by movies continuity such that they can't use most of costumed characters, and they can't have costumed types running all over the place because of contiuinity. What's so special about one Avenger and his sidekick if there are ten more similar heroes out there.

I can't wait to binge watch the hell out of this. I'm still really ehhhhh on the costume though.

Extraordinary Member

I like the tone. It feels extremely gritty.

Amazing Member

Looks excellent. Just wish we got a line of dialogue from Kingpin and a brief glimpse of the classic red suit. Mayhaps they'll show another trailer with the premiere of Agents of SHIELD?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinjwoods View Post
    Will probably watch but fear it will go the same way as Agents of Shield and actively avoid too many comic booky elements. From the trailer it seems to be trying to be a grim and gritty crime show, perhaps in the belief that this will draw in a non geek crowd. i suspect this will only work on the netflix model as even if it is bad most people will eventually finish the series over a long period.
    And the costume, is it just me or is there nothing about it that screams this is a comic book character called Daredevil.
    Interesting that Marvel found a formula for making Comics Work in the Cinema by making it a visual comic, DC then made TV shows that never hid but in fact gloried in the idea that these are costumed heroes and villains and had much success, but Marvel on TV at least seems to be harking back to an era when people believed that you had to avoid the Geek market if you wanted people to watch your show, and then couldn't understand why thei shows kept being cancelled after one season.
    Marvel's model is totally different from the one DC uses. DC keeps there TV shows in little pocket universes, so using lots of costumed heroes doesn't water down the other products since they aren't tied together in any way. Marvel, on the other hand, has to make their TV shows work within the same universe as their movies (because they chose to do it that way) and having tons of costumed heroes in that case does water down the product. As stated above, what makes the Avengers special if there are dozens of other supers running around everywhere? And besides that, there have been plenty of Easter Eggs and nods to the comic fans in Agents of SHIELD, and there have been plenty of characters on the show that are beyond baseline human. Hell, the main character of the show was revealed to be an Inhuman at the end of season 2. It's not going to do the show any favors to have an entire team of super powered people, plus it wouldn't make much sense. Why would Fury have needed the Avengers to stop the invasion if he had a team of super heroes already on his payroll?
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Looks promising can't wait to see it. Hopefully they will stick to Miller Bendis portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    Marvel's model is totally different from the one DC uses. DC keeps there TV shows in little pocket universes, so using lots of costumed heroes doesn't water down the other products since they aren't tied together in any way. Marvel, on the other hand, has to make their TV shows work within the same universe as their movies (because they chose to do it that way) and having tons of costumed heroes in that case does water down the product. As stated above, what makes the Avengers special if there are dozens of other supers running around everywhere? And besides that, there have been plenty of Easter Eggs and nods to the comic fans in Agents of SHIELD, and there have been plenty of characters on the show that are beyond baseline human. Hell, the main character of the show was revealed to be an Inhuman at the end of season 2. It's not going to do the show any favors to have an entire team of super powered people, plus it wouldn't make much sense. Why would Fury have needed the Avengers to stop the invasion if he had a team of super heroes already on his payroll?
    Mid-Season finale. Season won't return until March, likely end until May.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Very good, but no Netflix. However, if Netflix greenlight a Moon Knight or Punisher series with this same kind of vibe, well then, hello Netflix.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy