Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I understand Peter Parker is not Spider-Man 24/7 ( unlike Steve Rogers/ Cap), but the reason why Spider-Man is not respected in the MCU ( except the FF where he is considered extended family), is he is considered a man child and not an adult. That goes straight to OMD and how Marvel wants him, as opposed to being an adult and having to have responsibilities like caring for a wife and child. If anyone watches the Show 'NCIS' you will see the same thing with a character named Tony DiNosio ( Michael Weatherly), despite being excellent at solving crimes, he is basically a "Frat Boy" who the writers use him as comedy relief. ( although this may be changing with Tony). You would think that with Miles Morales around they could make him mature, but it is easier to continue along the same path, then actually realize that character GROWTH is a good thing. Basically, if Pete acts more adult then he will be treated more adult. If however, we see more stuff like we did with Cindy, then we will not. It's that simple.
    Last edited by Steeler53; 02-05-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    While we may think of the decades the stories have been published, it's been less time in the Marvel Universe.

Part of the reason that Spider-Man isn't taken that seriously is that the Marvel Universe doesn't see the character the way we do. That's part of the point of the series.
    At this point, Peter is in is late twenties so he's been Spider-Man for well over a decade in-universe.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Simple answer because the writers don't want them to.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    At this point, Peter is in is late twenties so he's been Spider-Man for well over a decade in-universe.
    But he's not quite an insitution.

He's Jonah Hill, not Robert De Niro.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm sorry, Mr. Moderator, but shouldn't your avatar be

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Very similar to the question that I asked, but no one seems to be able to or want to answer it.

Can anyone provide a recent example of the topic of this thread? When exactly in recent Marvel history has Spidey been treated like a "newbie newcomer, or a undependable loser" by other heroes?
    Yep. I can understand that he might not get used effectively in a team book, and that's fair, but at the end of the day most of his teammates still have great love and respect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    You would think that with Miles Morales around they could make him mature, but it is easier to continue along the same path, then actually realize that character GROWTH is a good thing. Basically, if Pete acts more adult then he will be treated more adult. If however, we see more stuff like we did with Cindy, then we will not. It's that simple.
    I think Ultimate Spider-man had the opposite effect. When it was first launched he was the goofy young Peter-parker going through his awkward years... And the 616 was the version that could grow up a bit....

However, Ultimate Spider-man REALLY hit it off with fans and most people I know preferred that version to the 'real' one... Soooo yeah, Everything 'popular' about Ultimate universe started to bleed back over to the 616.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

The Xmen gave him a job teaching kids so he got props but Ock was right about Parker should have been more on point with graduating from college.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Very similar to the question that I asked, but no one seems to be able to or want to answer it.

Can anyone provide a recent example of the topic of this thread? When exactly in recent Marvel history has Spidey been treated like a "newbie newcomer, or a undependable loser" by other heroes?
    Same here, I`ve been asking this since the last thread.

Ben Grim can give him hell on a personal side given how older and more experienced he is (in a jokey grumpy manner mostly, he does the same to Johnny), but I`ve never read once him downgrading Spiderman abilities. Neither the X-men. Neither the Avengers. Neither the Inhumans. You get the ideia. Spiderman to this day still got a unique combo of powers.

We are talking about a character whose abilities made him stand off against the F4 and X-Men on his own before. If he`s not regarded as a veteran on a personal level is because Editorial wants him to remain a "non veteran" hero.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    I understand Peter Parker is not Spider-Man 24/7 ( unlike Steve Rogers/ Cap), but the reason why Spider-Man is not respected in the MCU ( except the FF where he is considered extended family), is he is considered a man child and not an adult.
    Could you see the idea of Steve Rogers and Colossus working together on a comic book series at the Daily Bugle under Robbie Robinson? Those two have a lot in common with Peter than they know...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    The Xmen gave him a job teaching kids so he got props but Ock was right about Parker should have been more on point with graduating from college.
    Did they ever say what Peter wanted out of college, because getting a Bsc. in Biochemistry is NOT the smart thing to do. If anything, it shows Peter never really did finish his education. At least, as far as I know all he has is Bachelors.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Could you see the idea of Steve Rogers and Colossus working together on a comic book series at the Daily Bugle under Robbie Robinson? Those two have a lot in common with Peter than they know...
    I can NOW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post
    Did they ever say what Peter wanted out of college, because getting a Bsc. in Biochemistry is NOT the smart thing to do. If anything, it shows Peter never really did finish his education. At least, as far as I know all he has is Bachelors.
    Otto got him a Doctorate... NOT sure if he has any memory of those classes or not...

Astonishing Member

Peter was doing his Masters and Ph.d program in Biochemistry which requires that he teach undergraduates in the subject. He did complete all of his graduate classes except his Doctoral Thesis, of which Otto had completed.

He is always portrayed as a kid. Immature at best. This is why people don't take him seriously.

I remember when Avenging first started and the others kinda treated him like a joke. But for the record he's considered a pretty valued member. As evidenced as when he came back and everyone was rather glad to see him. Other heroes may act aggravated with him because of the jokes and such, but everyone knows he's rather dependable.