Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2 *Spoilers*

It really is frustrating to see Marvel produce a niche comic like this and price it out of what I would imagine is its target demographic. It's a perfect example of an all-ages comics that feels primed to expand the market.

Before I go further, if you didn't like the art before, this issue will definitely not change your opinion especially when it comes to Doreen's face.

With that said, MIGHTY GALACTUS APPROACHES IN HIS STAR SPHERE, which looks a lot like the Death Star. I never noticed that.

spoilers:
    At college, Doreen drags Nancy to sign up for clubs and they muse about starting a Mew Club, before Nancy heads off to check out the Tattoo Club. At the fair, she bumps into Tomas whose cheekbones she gets lost in. She's saved by Nancy who has a little girl chat with her about Tomas.

Tippy-Toe alerts Doreen of Galactus's impending arrival after Nancy leaves the restroom, and comes up with some dopey reason why she has to do it alone (not enough time to convince other people that Galactus is on the way). After Plan A proves to be a bust (Squirrel-A-Gig), she comes up with a Plan B - borrow one of Tony Stark's armors to fly to the moon and confront Galactus.

We get a heist scene where she runs distraction for her rodent friends to run off with a few armor parts. She activates one of Tony's modular armors and flies off only to be spotted by Whiplash, whose just hanging about. With only one hour left, can Doreen escape his clutches and make it to the moon in time to whip Galactus?
    end of spoilers

Well, I found this issue just as funny as the last one. It was cute the way Doreen fumbled and bumbled her way through a "normal" social interaction. It's the kind of thing that I've been missing in Marvel comics in recent year - the civilian side of superheroics, where everything isn't just about being a superhero.

I'm still locked in for issue 3, although I fear this book may get cut at 9 issues especially with a $3.99 cover price.

Heck, I'd be surprised if Howard the Duck makes it past 6 issues.

Squirell Girl?

More like Squirell Pig with that art.

I'M not looking for a super serious book. All I want is the book to take itself seriously. God, it makes me angry how SG's chances are wasted on this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Squirell Girl?

I'M not looking for a super serious book. All I want is the book to take itself seriously. God, it makes me angry how SG's chances are wasted on this book.
    .......it's Squirrel Girl. Seriously.

A Squirrel Girl book that "took itself seriously" and aimed to turn her into a SERIOUS AND LEGIT SUPERHERO would be bland at best and goddamned terrible and unintentional joke at worst.

Squirrel Girl is a completely ridiculous, comedy character. She was created with that intention in mind. Trying to do a 180 on that is utterly wrongheaded. You might as well make a grim, gritty, and violent Fantastic Four comic. Or a comic in which Spider-Man loses faith in the justice system, arms up with firearms, and goes full Punisher.

Except.....those comics would at least be unintentionally hilarious. Chances are, a serious Squirrel Girl comic would just be boring AND wrongheaded.

Quote Originally Posted by King's_Gambit View Post
    You might as well make a grim, gritty, and violent Fantastic Four comic.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

hopefully some celebrities will endorse the book and it will get some mainstream press coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Squirell Girl?

My eyes can not roll hard enough. 'Squirrel Pig'. Jesus.

The dialogue in opening orientation is kind of getting back to North's old trippy random writing style as seen in Original Sins which I dislike, but it picks up later when the duo focused on the job.

This book is hilarious and adorable. North and Henderson play off each other so well. I laughed through the entire issue.

BANNED

I don't have it yet but I will.

Squirrel Girl needs to have a team up with Thor, where she saves the World Tree and the Nine Worlds with the help of Rattatosk, the squirrel that runs up and down Yggdrasil carrying gossip back and forth between the eagle at the top and the dragon gnawing on its roots.

I liked it, some clever stuff with her powers. It feels like a cross between Fawcett Captain Marvel meets Dennis the Menace.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    OH MY GOD !!
    MY EYES, THE GOOGLES DO NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    OH MY GOD !!
    MY EYES, THE GOOGLES DO NOTHING.
    It's like one of those paintings that seems to follow you around the room. I can't look away.

On topic, the writing is still awesome, and the art is still not my style, but I am still around for this book. Ryan North is fast becoming one of those writers whom I will buy a series just because he's writing it.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

As someone who didn't/doesn't like the way her mouth is drawn (the rest of the art is nice, Galactus looked great), I found it (her mouth) a little better this week. Perhaps I'm just getting used to it?

It's a fun little series, not a game changer perhaps, but always enjoyable.

BANNED

This book is just really adorable. Its like Spider-Man turned up to Dinosaur Comic comedy styling, which is right up my alley. Rarely a page goes by without something funny or charming or cute to smile at.