Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yeah, Supergirl can do it. If they use the logic of evolution, they can simply say that Supergirl evolved into this power before Superman did via her orbiting the sun as long as she did before arriving on Earth. If its even referenced at all. Another difference though is that while Supergirl doesn't lose her powers for a day when she does it, Superman's blast appears much more devastating.

Astonishing Member

This will be just like Snyder's gama vision and never mentioned by any writers ever again.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. He's a being with the power of a sun inside of him. The solar flare power makes sense.

The far bigger revelation is that Supes can now become a regular human for 24 hours. I dont think it's something that will be used regularly, if ever. But it does answer the pop culture question as to how Superman and Lois could eventually have a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. He's a being with the power of a sun inside of him. The solar flare power makes sense.

The far bigger revelation is that Supes can now become a regular human for 24 hours. I dont think it's something that will be used regularly, if ever. But it does answer the pop culture question as to how Superman and Lois could eventually have a child.
    He solar flares in space to dispose of his power for 24 hours then beds Lois during that 24 hour timeframe. Makes sense. I always just felt Superman's love for Lois is so pure that he exerts utmost restrain to care for her body when they engage in sexual activity

I never understood the "well how do they even have sex?! He has super strength!" grievances. He can hold cups with shattering them, shake hands, walk on the ground without causing craters. He seems to understand self control and restraint. Love is beyond sex. Superman loves Lois. What's hard to grasp?
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 02-04-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I prefer Kryptonians as turning on full power, the second they hit sunlight. The idea of Superman depleting his reserves just sounds too odd for me. I have always liked the idea that from Superboy to Superman, kid to adult, the powers were the same level.

Fantastic Member

Actually, Superman turning into a human for a day because of this new power is why it's stupid.

His ability to absorb the solar energy is because Kryptonian physiology evolved in such a way to allow it, and I fail to see how being depleted of his energy reserves can somehow completely alter that physiology without the energy to do so.

The whole thing reeks of asspull.

He's not turning human any more than he "turned human" after the losing his powers at the end of IC. Its just a metaphor. The loss of his energy doesn't actually turn him into a human being. Granted Johns could have had Batman say "It'll be like you're as human as me" or "you'll be as vulnerable as me", but all the same, I thought it was still a pretty clear metaphor regardless.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It was just a metaphor. The loss of his energy doesn't actually turn him into a human being. Granted Johns could have had Batman say "It'll be like you're as human as me" or "you'll be as vulnerable as me", but all the same, I thought it was still a pretty clear metaphor regardless.
    You're probably right about that.

Can't help taking things too literally sometimes.

Yeah, on the other hand though I'm sure the reason he had it worded as such is because he's actually going to explore the "human" side more in the next issue. But thankfully this looks to be something that will indeed last only one issue and this one day won't span over four months or something silly like that. At least, #40 talks about Superman testing the new power with the League, so he'll at least have his powers back for that issue. Then there's the Convergence break so what comes next is in the air.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-04-2015 at 09:48 PM.

I don't like it or hate it. it's just whatever. If it's used, cool. If not, no big loss.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Will J. View Post
    Actually, Superman turning into a human for a day because of this new power is why it's stupid.

His ability to absorb the solar energy is because Kryptonian physiology evolved in such a way to allow it, and I fail to see how being depleted of his energy reserves can somehow completely alter that physiology without the energy to do so.

The whole thing reeks of asspull.
    Yeah if he expels all of his solar radiation he would still have Kryptonain physiology. Super dense skin and muscles. Their bodies had adapted to survive Krypton's intense gravity and weak red sun. It should pretty much make him Golden Age Superman for 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    I never understood the "well how do they even have sex?! He has super strength!" grievances. He can hold cups with shattering them, shake hands, walk on the ground without causing craters. He seems to understand self control and restraint. Love is beyond sex. Superman loves Lois. What's hard to grasp?
    I don't think the argument is about Superman's inability to control his strength. There are other aspects that would put poor Lois at risk. Watch Mallrats or read The Pro for reference.

Incredible Member

This is lame, I thought we would see a updated version of Electric Superman (which aparently happened at some point, there was a costume in the Fortress during Morrison's run), and this power doesn't seem much beyond upped heat vision. Even Superboy-style TTK would've been more interesting, or a sonic scream (which Supergirl also has).

Yeah if he expels all of his solar radiation he would still have Kryptonain physiology. Super dense skin and muscles. Their bodies had adapted to survive Krypton's intense gravity and weak red sun. It should pretty much make him Golden Age Superman for 24 hours.
    Now THERE's an angle I can love!

If Kal uses his super-solar-flare power, he goes from planet-splitter back to what he started out as (which is not and never was "just" human levels), just temporarily of course.

I wonder if in his Golden Age state, would he still be (as) vulnerable to kryptonite? I hope not, if he loses his powers, he should also lose his weaknesses in that state.

it does answer the pop culture question as to how Superman and Lois could eventually have a child.
    I hadn't thought of that. Interesting. It actually makes the concept of Clark losing his powers worthwhile. Ive never been a supporter of the "Man of Steel/Woman of Kleenex" thing, but a twist like this would at least have some narrative value.

Exactly. Kryptonians are not baseline humans and even without the benefits of sunlight, their physiology is still geared for a planet with much higher gravity, a different spectrum of light and sound, and a thinner atmosphere. Johns will ignore it of course and likely treat Clark as being roughly as strong as a semi-active fourteen year old, but hopefully better writers will do the concept justice.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Now THERE's an angle I can love!

If Kal uses his super-solar-flare power, he goes from planet-splitter back to what he started out as (which is not and never was "just" human levels), just temporarily of course.

I wonder if in his Golden Age state, would he still be (as) vulnerable to kryptonite? I hope not, if he loses his powers, he should also lose his weaknesses in that state.
    Yeah, I really love the idea of the solar flare taking Clark back to "t-shirt and jeans" power levels. It makes the whole concept really sing (for me).

As for kryptonite, that's got nothing to do with Clark's powers, and everything to do with his basic biology, so I assume he'll still be as vulnerable to it as always. Its possible that without the extra sensitivity his sun-based powers provide, Clark might not feel the pain as acutely (what with his senses being weakened) but it should still affect him.

As for the solar flare power itself, I like it well enough. Not the most clever or original way to evolve Clark's powerset, but it fits with what Supergirl has done and it's a natural next step for heat vision. I support its use, even though the "powerless for a day" thing is weird. Its possible that the power-retardation is something that Clark would out-grow as he continues to get more powerful. But for now, it works pretty well as a control device.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.