Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Reading the story in the link, it seems he would develop other characters too, mentioning Black Cat by name.

"And I’d certainly develop other characters in the Spider-Man universe, which is what they are trying to do, I know. Black Cat deserves her own movie series. As for the superhero genre generally now, I am stunned at its viability, its quality, its longevity, and its ability to grow and deepen. I think they’re great. I was so continually wrong about where superhero movies were going that now I am just an audience member, thrilled to see them continue to improve."

I dont know about movies per se, but they definitely need to dlstart focusiing on that element with their characters, that they have different traits that can be highlighted to market to different groups.

Such as the already suggested more kid friendly and more adult oriented variants. Fact is, as much I hate "grimdarking" Spider-Man, you need to to do characters like Carnage. And they could have college age Peter, possibly married, in one universe, and teenage one in high school, not dumbed down for kids, bit exploring issues adolescents have to deal with.

I think I imagine this more as animated movies or series though, or even the comics. This doesn't seem right for a movie approach, as much as I would love more Spidey movies.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Whatever route they take, I hope that they don't overemphasize Peter's romantic life. We first had the series where MJ was "the one," then there was the heavy emphasis on Gwen. If the studios keep this up, the sheen is going to wear off and Peter is going to come across as a serial monogamist. Oh, and we don't need another retelling of the death of Uncle Ben as it's just going to cheapen the event.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Peter David's Spectacular Spider-Man was heavily influenced by the show Homicide: Life on the Street. That could be the type of thing he's suggesting. He said "almost R-rated" which is slightly different from actually R-rated.
    I think you're thinking of the show Hill Street Blues.

The first season of Homicide didn't debut until January of 1993, seven years after PAD's run on Spectacular.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What confuses me about Koepp's idea for "tougher, nastier, rougher" Spidey flicks is how he must then see Raimi and Webb's flicks as not having any or enough tougher, nastier, rougher elements. I question that. And I question how he must think the classic films couldn't make room for such elements or more of them.

That's the core of my issue with that idea.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-05-2015 at 02:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    What confuses me about Koepp's idea for "tougher, nastier, rougher" Spidey flicks is how he must then see Raimi and Webb's flicks as not having any or enough tougher, nastier, rougher elements. I question that. And I question how he must think the classic films couldn't make room for such elements or more of them.

That's the core of my issue with that idea.
    Imagine the dark tone & bloody fisticuffs of the final fight with the Green Goblin in the first Spider-Man film extrapolated into an entire Spider-Man film.

Imagine a Spider-Man film where Venom & Carnage are actually frightening. Basically, a Spider-Man movie you wouldn't want a small child to watch

BANNED

What's that fan-film about Venom starring Ryan Kwanten? Maybe something similar to that.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisennerd View Post
    Imagine the dark tone & bloody fisticuffs of the final fight with the Green Goblin in the first Spider-Man film extrapolated into an entire Spider-Man film.
    An entire film of that?..isn't that Batman or Punisher territory? What aren't I supposed to imagine here?...humor and battle quips? Kinds of questions I seek elaboration on.

Imagine a Spider-Man film where Venom & Carnage are actually frightening. Basically, a Spider-Man movie you wouldn't want a small child to watch
    Haven't all the films been PG-13 and not for small children? No one found Venom frightening at times in 3? Or any other Raimi or Webb villain?

Why can't the classic films just be tweaked to get Koepp's desired result, the balance he wants or maybe (he doesn't want) but should want instead? Why a whole other series of films (a drastic step, as the lack of any perhaps suggests)?

If Koepp elaborated, I might agree that it could work (though I wouldn't be able to assure him studios wouldn't quickly dismiss this concurrent trifecta over dilution/marketing concerns).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-05-2015 at 04:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    An entire film of that?..isn't that Batman or Punisher territory? What aren't I supposed to imagine here?...humor and battle quips? Kinds of questions I seek elaboration on.

Haven't all the films been PG-13 and not for small children? No one found Venom frightening at times in 3? Or any other Raimi or Webb villain?

Why can't the classic films just be tweaked to get Koepp's desired result, the balance he wants or maybe (he doesn't want) but should want instead? Why a whole other series of films (a drastic step, as the lack of any perhaps suggests)?

If Koepp elaborated, I might agree that it could work.
    ^ This. I don't see so much what's to be gained making separate movies with wildly separate tones. Though I agree ASM2 itself shifted tonally far too much.

If you have too much dark violence, it doesn't leave any room for the trademark humor of Spider-man.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I think a good model for a dark Spiderman story is the first Carnage story. It didn't bludgeon you over the head with grimdark, but there was a feeling of death hanging over it and relatively little humor. Humor is important to Spiderman but it doesn't have to be there all the time.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Not too get too focused on why fans wouldn't like a darker Spider-Man film, there would potentially be two other Spider-Man series with plenty of room for humor. Just saying, the point is to offer multiple series to satisfy different taste. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would have a problem with that.

I'd be a lot more interested in Spidey films with strong & unique visual style. I'd love a "creepy" Spidey film as well as a "bright" Spidey film. Think visually guys, these are motion pictures based on picture books.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I think you're thinking of the show Hill Street Blues.

The first season of Homicide didn't debut until January of 1993, seven years after PAD's run on Spectacular.
    I stand corrected.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets