All-New Member

Default Typos in single issues

I'm noticing an unusually large number of typos in recent image comic issues... does anyone watch out for those? Should we notify them so they can fix them for the trades?

Maybe I'm strange but it really breaks the immersion when I'm into the story then see typos :/

I haven't noticed much lately.. but I do tend to notice when they do occur. I agree, it does throw me off from reading the issue.

All-New Member

I'll watch out for them. I don't remember any recently but one I see a lot is switching around "its" and "it's".

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cydonia- View Post
    I'm noticing an unusually large number of typos in recent image comic issues... does anyone watch out for those? Should we notify them so they can fix them for the trades?

Maybe I'm strange but it really breaks the immersion when I'm into the story then see typos :/
    It doesn't break immersion for me, but it is quite annoying to me - ppl who are professional English writers who can't properly write English.

I don't know about increased examples in recent issues, but I noticed a misuse of then/than in the first TPB of Prophet and misspelling of descent in Wayward #1.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    It doesn't break immersion for me, but it is quite annoying to me - ppl who are professional English writers who can't properly write English.

I don't know about increased examples in recent issues, but I noticed a misuse of then/than in the first TPB of Prophet and misspelling of descent in Wayward #1.
    I admit it can be a little annoying, however, typos are simply mistakes. That doesn't mean the writer can't write proper English.

In one of his most recent novels, Stephen King continually misspelled guaranteed. No editor corrected him. They all thought it was on purpose. Not until the press junkets and such that he admitted he can't spell guaranteed. What hope the rest of us?

BANNED

I work in publishing and, believe me, typos are a norm. You try to catch them all but it's not possible. To their credit, most letterers are very accurate and don't slip too often. I always notice a typo but it doesn't kill the read.

Mistakes happen. It doesn't ruin anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    I admit it can be a little annoying, however, typos are simply mistakes. That doesn't mean the writer can't write proper English.

In one of his most recent novels, Stephen King continually misspelled guaranteed. No editor corrected him. They all thought it was on purpose. Not until the press junkets and such that he admitted he can't spell guaranteed. What hope the rest of us?
    I struggle with that word, too. And silhouette.

hhmm...well I should've clarified, typos aren't annoying per se, as much as simple bad grammar/syntax.

If accidental misuse or misspelling of words are typos, then that's a mistake. But bad grammar/syntax is the inability to write proper English.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Spectacular Member

typos? is this about me? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    hhmm...well I should've clarified, typos aren't annoying per se, as much as simple bad grammar/syntax.

If accidental misuse or misspelling of words are typos, then that's a mistake. But bad grammar/syntax is the inability to write proper English.
    I agree with you. When writing prose or any omniscient narration, proper use of grammar is a must. However, if a character is narrating or there is dialogue, I do not request the writer abide. I don't want to force characters to speak properly because it's not fitting to every character. People were mad at certain comic writers because the Avengers didn't have the wherewithal not to end a sentence with a preposition.

I agree with you. When writing prose or any omniscient narration, proper use of grammar is a must. However, if a character is narrating or there is dialogue, I do not request the writer abide. I don't want to force characters to speak properly because it's not fitting to every character. People were mad at certain comic writers because the Avengers didn't have the wherewithal not to end a sentence with a preposition.
    yeah, that I understand and agree. Jonah Hex comes to my mind immediately. I get and understand that.

But when a character says "our decent on the flight was a bit rough", that's most likely not the character not understanding the difference between descent and decent, nor the character saying a sentence that makes no sense at all. That's all on the writer. Ditto for then/than, you're/your, etc.