All-New Member

Default Daredevil: Where to start?

Ok so I'm new to comics in general, even more so to Marvel. I was recently checking out some guides on the internet as to start reading Marvel and I decided that I'd start from after Avengers Disassembled and go forward from this point. So in checking out the comics in the guide that would take me from Disassembled to House of M, I found Daredevil #61-81 mentioned. Now being fairly interested in Daredevil, will it suffice if I read only these issues? Or if not, where should I start? Should I just start from Bendis/Maleev's run from the first? Or do I have to read Frank Millar and any other runs first? I'm entirely new to comics so please forgive me if I'm being a faggot. Thank you.
    Last edited by deep_sadistic; 02-04-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I would say that Bendis's stuff is pretty new-reader-friendly. He's obviously influenced by Frank Miller but you don't need to have read those stories to make sense of what he's doing.

Start with Daredevil Volume 2 till you reach the present run then check out the older runs
    We need better comics

Pulp,Darker Stories: Miller, Bendis
    Lighter Stuff: Waid, Stan Lee

If you're new to comics i'd recommend the Mark Waid run of daredevil.
    just..stay away from shadowland (although andy diggle's run was'nt bad IMO)
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

All-New Member

Thank you all. I'm starting from Bendis' run then. Just to be clear, it's from Vol.2 #16, right?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by deep_sadistic View Post
    Thank you all. I'm starting from Bendis' run then. Just to be clear, it's from Vol.2 #16, right?
    Issues 16-19 are Bendis's first Daredevil story, but as a fill-in with artist David Mack.

He and Maleev took over the book full-time with vol. 2 # 26, so that's probably the place to start.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Issues 16-19 are Bendis's first Daredevil story, but as a fill-in with artist David Mack.

He and Maleev took over the book full-time with vol. 2 # 26, so that's probably the place to start.
    Okay. Thanks for the help.

Where does millers run start? I would also like to get into daredevil, but more specifically frank millers run on him.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Circle Breaker View Post
    Where does millers run start? I would also like to get into daredevil, but more specifically frank millers run on him.
    Miller began as an artist and co-plotter on Daredevil with #158 and took over as the only writer with #168 (which is where all the great stuff begins). The run ends with #191 though Miller makes a return to Daredevil with Born Again (#227-233. It's considered the best Daredevil story ever) and the Man Without Fear mini.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Miller began as an artist and co-plotter on Daredevil with #158 and took over as the only writer with #168 (which is where all the great stuff begins). The run ends with #191 though Miller makes a return to Daredevil with Born Again (#227-233. It's considered the best Daredevil story ever) and the Man Without Fear mini.
    Read this stuff.

BANNED

Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid's runs are essential

Start with the upcoming Netflix TV series. Not so much because it's a great starting point but just that I'm interested in how someone would do going from TV > comics rather than the usual direction. Betting it'd involve a lot of "You wouldn't believe how much these comics get things wrong, dudes!"
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

With Daredevil, it's hard to go wrong. Even the relatively not-so-great stuff is still above average.

Personally, I'd say a good place to start is "Man Without Fear," Miller's origin mini-series with John Romita Jr. It's self-contained, it gives you a good grounding in who and what Daredevil is, and it's excellent. From there, you can pretty easily jump to any number of other runs.

Also, it looks like the Netflix series is using it, at least to some degree, as source material.