Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Cracking open a CGC comic

Hello, I'm new. This is actually my first post. I'm having a dilemma and I don't know anyone who also collects comics so I can't ask them.

I recently bought a CGC 9.2 Peter Panzerfaust #1. I didn't originally search for a CGC copy, it just kind of worked out that way. I was bidding on a raw copy that was going for a great price. When I went to bid on it on eBay, in the last minute, my phone kicked me out so I lost the auction. I was kind of pissed so I went searching and I found this copy for a good price so I snatched it up. What do you think I should do? CRack it out? Leave it as it is? What would you do if you weren't a fan of CGC and had no other slabbed comics but were torn on this? I would never consider sending one in but this one came slabbed and I don't know if I should free it or not. I keep all my other comics in mylars and my other favorite comics are all displayed on a shelf. This one is too bulky to be on the shelf so I can't display it. I paid a little extra because it was graded but I knew in getting it graded, it would be that grade not an overgraded copy from someone on eBay. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of the "wrapper", but to me the only value of a comic is in the story it tells.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

you bought it to read it, right?

crack that sucker open.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

BANNED

If you want to sell it at some point, just buy the trade or get a copy on Comixology. It's 99 cents for the digital version.

If you don't want to sell it, open it and read that one.

All-New Member

I already own the trades. I'm the kind of collector that I like to own the first issues of my favorite series. I have Invincible 1, Chew 1, Walking Dead 19 (Michonne is my favorite). So no, I didn't buy this one to read. I just wanted it. I don't ever plan on selling it, though. I'm not looking to flip it otherwise no way I'd take it out. Well, I'm glad I talked to you guys. I was leaning towards taking it out, now I'm leaning farther. Even though I don't plan on reading this one, I still hate that "wrapper" as you put it. I think mylar makes them look better than that case anyway.
    Last edited by g_money_christmas; 02-04-2015 at 10:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by g_money_christmas View Post
    I already own the trades. I'm the kind of collector that I like to own the first issues of my favorite series. I have Invincible 1, Chew 1, Walking Dead 19 (Michonne is my favorite). So no, I didn't buy this one to read. I just wanted it. I don't ever plan on selling it, though. I'm not looking to flip it otherwise no way I'd take it out. Well, I'm glad I talked to you guys. I was leaning towards taking it out, now I'm leaning farther. Even though I don't plan on reading this one, I still hate that "wrapper" as you put it. I think mylar makes them look better than that case anyway.
    If you don't want to sell it there's no reason to keep it slabbed, so open and display as you wish.

All-New Member

Okay. I don't have time tomorrow but I'm going to crack it out on Saturday. Everyone's opinion has helped. Thank you.

Video opening it, just to torture obsessive compulsive collectors.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

All-New Member

There's a whole Youtube comic collecting community and from them was actually the first I ever heard of cracking one out. There are tutorials on how to do it without damaging them. One guy took out a Tales of Suspense 39 and a ton more Silver Age. Another guy took out X-Men 94 and Hulk 181. That would drive them nuts.

Tutorial? Like what..."This is a heavy pair of scissors. Use them to cut."
    'Dox out.

All-New Member

No, just how to break the case open without damaging the comic how to cut it out of the sheath without damaging it.

Sigh...what I'm saying is, that should be pretty obvious.
    'Dox out.

As someone that owns a 9.0 copy, I agree that you should crack it open and enjoy it. Also, please film it for Youtube geeks.

BANNED

This is gonna be like that scene from Raiders of the lost Ark with the ghosts flying out of that crate.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Tutorial? Like what..."This is a heavy pair of scissors. Use them to cut."
    You could, but it's the type of hard plastic that can be annoying to cut with scissors. The easiest thing to do is to cut around the edge of the plastic case with a knife or razor blade, then use a scissors on the inner sleeve.