Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Action Comics #39 (spoilers)

You know, when I saw the story was going to take place in Smallville, and be a bit of a horror story, I just brushed it off and didn't read the arc. However, I read a few blurbs on the internet, so I decided to pick up the entire horror arc today. Boy, that's what I get for judging a book by its cover.

Pak really delivered in this arc. I think a lot of writers get caught up in the making sure Superman has something to punch. Pak tells a great story giving Superman without the standard action sequences, and tells a character story, and his voice for Superman is just really pleasing to read. I loved the use of the Phantom Zone, how he had a personable story about how Lana dealt with her grief and how she couldn't help but lash out at Superman, the reintroduction of Ultra-Humanite, how Steel was able to extend his armor to Supes, and how the story came to its conclusion. Absolutely fantastic.

Oh yeah, since I read the entire arc just today, I feel entitled to ask my favorite irritating question: I forget, but what does Lana Lang do for a living?

Fantastic Member

Greg Pak is basically the definitive new 52 Superman writer at this point. I like Morrison's Action Comics run a lot, especially when I've been able to read it all at once, but Pak is just delivering great Superman stories in both this and Batman/Superman (which is really just Superman book with Batman as a side character). This arc is probably one of the best new 52 Superman arcs if not the best. Kuder's art is absolutely phenomenal, and the re-imagined Ultra Humanite is frankly amazing. Also, Lana is an electrical engineer. Also, I am super-pumped for Action Comics #40 and Superman visiting Bizarro World (Earth-29). I didn't realize that Pak and Kuder would take advantage of the Multiversity so quickly but I am so pumped because at this point I have complete faith in them to deliver an awesome story.
    Last edited by JustJelly; 02-05-2015 at 12:29 AM.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Astonishing Member

They should definitely give Pak free rein on Superman at this point. It always seems to me that they are allowing him to play with a limited number of toys (no Jimmy, almost no Lois, no Metropolis etc.).
    There is some cringeworthy dialogue here and there, but a generally good story with excellent art.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    They should definitely give Pak free rein on Superman at this point. It always seems to me that they are allowing him to play with a limited number of toys (no Jimmy, almost no Lois, no Metropolis etc.).
    There is some cringeworthy dialogue here and there, but a generally good story with excellent art.
    He's been using Lois in Batman/Superman for a while, although I think Johns/Romita have Metropolis and the Daily Planet on lockdown.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Another great issue, and a pretty nice conclusion to the arc. Now the Fortress of Solitude zoo is fully operational again. Kuder's recent ink wash technique has been mind blowing. Please don't ever let this man go off the title..

Surprised that we're getting Bizarro World Bizarro in the next issue when there's already a New 52 Bizarro...I just assumed we'd be dealing with a new clone from Lex. Not that I mind since it'll probably be a fun arc and it'll still be good to see Bizarro again, just think it's a little weird to already be introducing another version of Bizarro.

Was nice reading this alongside the latest Superman, since it meant I was able to read two very enjoyable Superman issues despite their differences in storytelling, focus, and art .

Still hope we'll eventually get a classic gorilla Ultra-Humanite, though the eldritch abomination he was here was used pretty effectively both in terms of the story and how he was depicted .

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Surprised that we're getting Bizarro World Bizarro in the next issue when there's already a New 52 Bizarro...I just assumed we'd be dealing with a new clone from Lex. Not that I mind since it'll probably be a fun arc and it'll still be good to see Bizarro again, just think it's a little weird to already be introducing another version of Bizarro.
    I think 40 is just a Bizarro World one shot not an arc. But I am pretty happy that we're getting a real Bizarro here. Not Johns' B-Zero (who I kind of liked but died), or Lobdell's H'El (which he initially pitched as the new 52 Bizarro iirc). I love the silly, weird Bizarro.

Eh, just another amazing, fabulous, pitch-perfect issue from the best writer Superman has had in the last twenty years.

You know, no big deal.

Actually that's a complete and utter lie. It's so great to have a reliable, enjoyable Superman title again that understands the character and really aims to do more than just write big fight scenes and lame ass dialogue about how "Superman matters" or something. Every month when I get my hands on this book, my day improves.

DC, if you're listening, this is how you write Superman. Just give the entire franchise to Pak and Kulder, pay them lots of money to handle this character for at least ten years, and let them do whatever they want, because their work is infinitely better than anything anyone else has done in decades (except Morrison, of course!) And that includes the golden boy Geoff Johns, who at his best can write a passable Superman story such as this week's Superman issue. Seriously, the biggest name writer you have, and his best Superman is nothing more than "passable". You need to keep Pak onboard. Give him whatever he wants. Cars. Money. Women. Men? Who cares, no one will judge so long as he sticks around and keeps knocking out this level of quality.

Acton Comics by Pak. It's Action Pak'd!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

Pak's stories are great and I love this arc ....but...that damned beard It is so absolutely stupid looking. I had a knockoff GI Joe doll in the seventies called 'Josh' which had a cheesy Greenwich Village Beard like that. Goofy.

Pretty sure you can count on the beard being gone soon. If not by next issue, definitely after Convergence.

Beard's all right. imo. Loved this last issue. That last page is made of awesome. Steel, Lana and Hiro awesomest supporting cast ever. Missed lill Bhaka though

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, just another amazing, fabulous, pitch-perfect issue from the best writer Superman has had in the last twenty years.

You know, no big deal.

Actually that's a complete and utter lie. It's so great to have a reliable, enjoyable Superman title again that understands the character and really aims to do more than just write big fight scenes and lame ass dialogue about how "Superman matters" or something. Every month when I get my hands on this book, my day improves.

DC, if you're listening, this is how you write Superman. Just give the entire franchise to Pak and Kulder, pay them lots of money to handle this character for at least ten years, and let them do whatever they want, because their work is infinitely better than anything anyone else has done in decades (except Morrison, of course!) And that includes the golden boy Geoff Johns, who at his best can write a passable Superman story such as this week's Superman issue. Seriously, the biggest name writer you have, and his best Superman is nothing more than "passable". You need to keep Pak onboard. Give him whatever he wants. Cars. Money. Women. Men? Who cares, no one will judge so long as he sticks around and keeps knocking out this level of quality.

Acton Comics by Pak. It's Action Pak'd!
    THIS ^I unbelievably support this notion. Pak has time and time and again proven he can handle writing Superman and give him the "oomph!" he so deserves. Not only does he follow along the trail Morrison left behind, he does it so endearingly. I agree with you, Ascended in that DC should see what a gifted writer they have with Pak and just give the guy the keys to the Superman titles and let him have at it for the next couple of years. I can only imagine the creative stories he would bring to the table in each of his books. Make it happen, DC .
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Quote Originally Posted by JustJelly View Post
    I think 40 is just a Bizarro World one shot not an arc. But I am pretty happy that we're getting a real Bizarro here. Not Johns' B-Zero (who I kind of liked but died), or Lobdell's H'El (which he initially pitched as the new 52 Bizarro iirc). I love the silly, weird Bizarro.
    Oh, I'm also happy to be getting classic Bizarro too, I was just expecting that the Forever Evil version would be the only version we'd get in terms of the New 52. I was also expecting the clone's return would be dealt with in the Superman books, especially with Johns on the main book, but evidently that's not going to happen anytime soon...

H'El was supposed to be New 52 Bizarro !?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    H'El was supposed to be New 52 Bizarro !?
    I remember reading an interview with Lobdell where he said that when he came up with H'El and the idea of the H'El on Earth crossover he initially pitched H'El as the New 52 Bizarro but they said "no, this is H'El." Probably because they knew the Johns was going to create the New 52 Bizarro in Forever Evil and Lobdell didn't know that yet.

I wasn't really expecting the villain here to be Ultra-Humanite. Looking back, it makes sense, especially considering the psychic assault, but the villain just seems so... Lovecraftian in appearance.