Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Would Greg Rucka's WW: Earth One Have Been Like?

I'm aware of the circumstances that resulted in Rucka losing the Wonder Woman: Earth One project to grant Morrison. I've accepted that and Morrison is just as good a writer as Rucka, but sometimes I do wonder what it would have been like and how much of an impact it would have had on Diana. Basically this thread is for people to discuss what his project could have been like. Would it have been as good as Morrison's? Better? Worse? Please share your thoughts.

BANNED

it would be ready by now and very good;
    I don't know if it would be better than Morrison, but Rucka show better understament of sexuality than mr Morrison. I could do without his comments about the sexuality on the book.

I don't know that it would be ready by now. Hiketea was delayed from the time that it was announced. Also, his initial run on WW was delayed (Jimenez's run was a stop gap to cover that).

Also, I am pretty sure that the current status of the Morrisson title has more to do with the artist than it does with the writer.

Finally, Rucka pretty much rebooted WW when his run began with his own brand new supporting cast, gods, etc. Anyone who wants a Ruck based WW Earth One can pretty much just pick up the run or Hiketea. It isn't like editorial was interfering that much in what he wrote.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    I don't know that it would be ready by now. Hiketea was delayed from the time that it was announced. Also, his initial run on WW was delayed (Jimenez's run was a stop gap to cover that).

Also, I am pretty sure that the current status of the Morrisson title has more to do with the artist than it does with the writer.

Finally, Rucka pretty much rebooted WW when his run began with his own brand new supporting cast, gods, etc. Anyone who wants a Ruck based WW Earth One can pretty much just pick up the run or Hiketea. It isn't like editorial was interfering that much in what he wrote.
    no? it didn't seemed like that for sure. his run ended with many things open/rushed

In the podcast, Rucka briefly talked about his take on Diana, and it was fantastic. His Wonder Woman was a young woman who was itching to get off Paradise Island and find out what the rest of the world was like. He described a scene where the Amazons are doing some stargazing, looking up at the sky, while Diana aims her telescope towards the horizon, trying to see what lies beyond the confines of her home.

https://thanley.wordpress.com/2012/0...man-earth-one/

Fantastic Member

I don't understand why Rucka's story couldn't have come out as some other imprint, a standalone story with its own title. It's too bad, because Diana desperately needs more takes on her origin, seeing as she still doesn't have even one "definitive" story.

I'm looking forward to Morrison's take, though. I think he's a better fit for Diana, in that his work tends to be more bright and hopeful and humorous. Plus, he tries to get to the heart of what makes a character tick. In that regard, the Hiketeia was a big disappointment. A dark, despairing tale showing Diana hewed in by duty and the forces of tragedy. Not what I want from a Wonder Woman story.

If he's gotten over his dumb Batman fascination I'd be very open to seeing Rucka get to work on another WW project.

Probably like his run, except with an origin story.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    I don't understand why Rucka's story couldn't have come out as some other imprint, a standalone story with its own title. It's too bad, because Diana desperately needs more takes on her origin, seeing as she still doesn't have even one "definitive" story.

That's how I feel, do both Rucka's and Morrison's versions. Call Greg's "Wonder Woman:Ultimate" or Wonder Woman:Year Zero" or whatever and say it's out of continuity

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If he's gotten over his dumb Batman fascination I'd be very open to seeing Rucka get to work on another WW project.
    what batman has to do with anything? Rucka is one of the best ww writers, this is what counts. earth one wouldn't even have him on the book

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    In the podcast, Rucka briefly talked about his take on Diana, and it was fantastic. His Wonder Woman was a young woman who was itching to get off Paradise Island and find out what the rest of the world was like. He described a scene where the Amazons are doing some stargazing, looking up at the sky, while Diana aims her telescope towards the horizon, trying to see what lies beyond the confines of her home.

https://thanley.wordpress.com/2012/0...man-earth-one/
    Rucka is the guy. Hope he at least get back writing batwoman. now I remembered about JH williams III doing the art ahhhhhhh his art is so good, just like a paint

yeah we could have rucka and morrison books.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 02-05-2015 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    what batman has to do with anything? Rucka is one of the best ww writers, this is what counts. earth one wouldn't even have him on the book
    I honestly don't know why Rucka's run is held in high esteem.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I honestly don't know why Rucka's run is held in high esteem.
    maybe because it didn't finished how he wanted. DC cut him and he wasn't able to finish everything he did. I also think the maxwell editor mandated death is not very well liked by many fans.
    but even with that, it should be more appreciated

I hated his desire to put him with her, and while its just one thing its something I hate so much that its made me hesitant on him ever since. But without that I never had any qualms with him. I think his run is largely overrated but had no real issues with anything except that one.

maybe because it didn't finished how he wanted. DC cut him and he wasn't able to finish everything he did. I also think the maxwell editor mandated death is not very well liked by many fans.
    but even with that, it should be more appreciated
    I don't even think the Maxwell Lord thing was out of place from the rest of the run. My major problem is that, as a reader, I hate events mucking up the storylines in other comics.

Still the major thing I look at for a Wonder Woman run, what personally connects me to the character is the making enemies into friends theme, which is absent in Rucka's run. This could have been picked up latter in an unfinished portion of his work, but I can only pass judgement on what exists.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I hated his desire to put him with her, and while its just one thing its something I hate so much that its made me hesitant on him ever since. But without that I never had any qualms with him. I think his run is largely overrated but had no real issues with anything except that one.
    I'm not sure about his desire to pair WW with batman, for what I know he wanted Io to be ww love interest in his run. He said about batman that if he sleeps with somebody, he sleeps with everyone. Sure if he had to choose between batman and superman, he will choose batman.