Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Still the major thing I look at for a Wonder Woman run, what personally connects me to the character is the making enemies into friends theme, which is absent in Rucka's run. This could have been picked up latter in an unfinished portion of his work, but I can only pass judgement on what exists.
    Isn't that absent in most post-Crisis runs? Messner-Loebs and Azzarello are the exceptions. Hell, she didn't even have that great of a record pre-Crisis, either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    Isn't that absent in most post-Crisis runs? Messner-Loebs and Azzarello are the exceptions. Hell, she didn't even have that great of a record pre-Crisis, either.
    I think that azz rescued that on his run, it wasn't a defining element in many writers runs

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    I agree, though I haven't read to much of the pre-Crisis work with exception to William Marston of course. It also played a role in Gail Simone's run too. Also, this may be jumping the gun a bit, but it looks like Mrs. Finch is going to do this as well for Donna.

Its okay for a run not to have this and this does not mean they are not 'true' Wonder Woman stories. Something that interested Perez for instance was WW's view of death and she consistently brings it up, which is its own unique theme.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    no? it didn't seemed like that for sure. his run ended with many things open/rushed
    The end of his run was definitely truncated. But that was only the end. For the majority of his run, he pretty much wrote what he wanted. There were a few editorial "No you can't do that."s but not as much as one might suppose. Azzarello wanted Diana hooked up with Orion, TPTB said No. I think most people would still say that Azzarello was pretty much left alone. The word is that Rucka wanted to set Diana up with Io and possibly Batman. TPTB said No. But he still told his Veronica Cale story and his Medusa story and his decent into Hades story pretty much the way he wanted to.

The biggest difference between Azz and Rucka was that Rucka wanted to stay on the title and DC wasn't that enthused with the direction he was taking the character. Azzarello on the other hand, didn't want to stay on the title.He just wanted to tell one story.

But to the point of the post, Rucka's Diana was always seemed dutiful, depressed, and lonely. Even in the stand alone Hiketea. I have never heard him say anything that would make me think that he could write her in any other way. Morrisson, on the other hand, has publicly stated that he has evolved in his thinking about the character. I wasn't that crazy about his (lack of) angle on the character in the past, but I am interested to see what he has found of value in the character. Rucka, on the other hand, just makes me feel like it would be "More of the Same." At least, that is the impression I get.

I feel it was definitely Batman, not Io. Shortly after he was let go, he confirmed to some fans on a message board (can't remember which one it was), that his future plans had he not been taken off the title would have been to put Diana in a relationship with another well-known DC superhero. He wouldn't say who though as he said he didn't want to start a shitstorm (my word, not his) over something that wasn't going to happen anyway. I always assumed it was Batman, and then years later when he did WW: Blackest Night, it pretty much confirmed that's who he was talking about in my mind.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-06-2015 at 12:53 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    The end of his run was definitely truncated. But that was only the end. For the majority of his run, he pretty much wrote what he wanted. There were a few editorial "No you can't do that."s but not as much as one might suppose. Azzarello wanted Diana hooked up with Orion, TPTB said No. I think most people would still say that Azzarello was pretty much left alone. The word is that Rucka wanted to set Diana up with Io and possibly Batman. TPTB said No. But he still told his Veronica Cale story and his Medusa story and his decent into Hades story pretty much the way he wanted to.

The biggest difference between Azz and Rucka was that Rucka wanted to stay on the title and DC wasn't that enthused with the direction he was taking the character. Azzarello on the other hand, didn't want to stay on the title.He just wanted to tell one story.

But to the point of the post, Rucka's Diana was always seemed dutiful, depressed, and lonely. Even in the stand alone Hiketea. I have never heard him say anything that would make me think that he could write her in any other way. Morrisson, on the other hand, has publicly stated that he has evolved in his thinking about the character. I wasn't that crazy about his (lack of) angle on the character in the past, but I am interested to see what he has found of value in the character. Rucka, on the other hand, just makes me feel like it would be "More of the Same." At least, that is the impression I get.
    well Rucka barely talks about his WW run, so i'm not sure they let him write what he wanted. it didn't seemed like he had a good time writing it. His run ended very much like the young justice 2nd season, full of potential.
    Veronica cale I don't remember very well, but I didnt felt it had a good conclusion.

it was a mistake for DC fire rucka, he could have had more issues to finish everything.

I didn't get WW was so depressed or even alone. she wasn't looking for anyone, she was on a transition on her life. she was older, very experienced. I can see why she looked depressed, but she wasn't.

Rucka wrote WW in a continuity, it is very different from writing himself her origin, her place in the world. Morrison seems interesting, but he said things that made me worried with his sense of women sexuality. It's not like he has a good story of writing women well, specially WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I feel it was definitely Batman, not Io. Shortly after he was let go, he confirmed to some fans on a message board (can't remember which one it was), that his future plans had he not been taken off the title would have been to put Diana in a relationship with another well-known DC superhero. He wouldn't say who though as he said he didn't want to start a shitstorm (my word, not his) over something that wasn't going to happen anyway. I always assumed it was Batman, and then years later when he did WW: Blackest Night, it pretty much confirmed that's who he was talking about in my mind.
    If that is true and he was going to have batman as her love interest, it is a big loss for all batman/ww fans that waited so much for it happen,. if someone could make it work, it is Rucka.
    I still doubt it is batman, after Hush he and catwoman story got a lot serious, with her knowing the secret. also with his comments about batman sexual life, it seems less likely.
    blackest knight seemed more like a callback on JLA to unlock the ring
    Last edited by Blacksun; 02-06-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Y'know, what's weird is that when Batman guest starred early in his run, Bruce told Alfred (after the latter suggested that he and Diana should totes hook up) that not every relationship between two people of the opposite sex has to be defined by romance. It was like Rucka was pointing out the stupidity of his premise, but didn't take his own advice.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Y'know, what's weird is that when Batman guest starred early in his run, Bruce told Alfred (after the latter suggested that he and Diana should totes hook up) that not every relationship between two people of the opposite sex has to be defined by romance. It was like Rucka was pointing out the stupidity of his premise, but didn't take his own advice.
    The head and the heart aren't always on the same page. That's especially true for Batman given his personal life and previous romantic entanglements, so I don't think it's weird at all for Bruce to tell Alfred, himself and others "don't be ridiculous that would be a terrible idea" only to end up following through anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by T. Arashikage View Post
    The head and the heart aren't always on the same page. That's especially true for Batman given his personal life and previous romantic entanglements, so I don't think it's weird at all for Bruce to tell Alfred, himself and others "don't be ridiculous that would be a terrible idea" only to end up following through anyway.
    well Batman "i'm so lonely", has 23874 robins and batgirls

Incredible Member

Forgive my ignorance here, but what is this about Greg losing out on WW Earth One? I didn't even know he was in the running....I thought this was always Grant's project....the one-shot, right? Can someone kindly bring me up to speed.

Still the major thing I look at for a Wonder Woman run, what personally connects me to the character is the making enemies into friends theme, which is absent in Rucka's run.
    In fact, I would say Rucka did the exact opposite. He put a lot of early emphasis on her friendship with other heroes, but probably as a setup for "Sacrifice" in which everyone ended up hating her for it.

Fantastic Member

Still the major thing I look at for a Wonder Woman run, what personally connects me to the character is the making enemies into friends theme, which is absent in Rucka's run. This could have been picked up latter in an unfinished portion of his work, but I can only pass judgement on what exists.
    He did redeem Vanessa, though. She had been turned into a villain by Jimenez, and Rucka brought her back.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Forgive my ignorance here, but what is this about Greg losing out on WW Earth One? I didn't even know he was in the running....I thought this was always Grant's project....the one-shot, right? Can someone kindly bring me up to speed.
    It was brought up in a podcast interview with Greg some years back, after his departure from DC. Originally he and J.H. Williams III were going to be doing WW: Earth One, Greg even had the workings of a script done enough to give a scene example; and then, Dan Didio called Greg up out of the blue and told him that he'd given the project to someone else. Greg in return told Dan that he couldn't work for him anymore, that he had taken certain jobs for DC with the understanding that WW: Earth One was his in return, and that promise had been broken. It was the last straw that led to his departure from DC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by T. Arashikage View Post
    It was brought up in a podcast interview with Greg some years back, after his departure from DC. Originally he and J.H. Williams III were going to be doing WW: Earth One, Greg even had the workings of a script done enough to give a scene example; and then, Dan Didio called Greg up out of the blue and told him that he'd given the project to someone else. Greg in return told Dan that he couldn't work for him anymore, that he had taken certain jobs for DC with the understanding that WW: Earth One was his in return, and that promise had been broken. It was the last straw that led to his departure from DC.
    OUCH. Makes sense now. It is a real shame DC has burned bridges with him. Thanks for explaining that.

I don't even think the Maxwell Lord thing was out of place from the rest of the run. My major problem is that, as a reader, I hate events mucking up the storylines in other comics.

It's going to be difficult to pull this off in a realistic manner if the enemy in question has gone past the point of no return. Redemption stories are good but only when done right.