Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

BTAS can be excused for not going with the Gaiman portrayal of Ivy's powers as it wouldn't have fit with the Noir approach, which is as chauvinistic male fantasy as genres get.

Mighty Member

As others have mentioned, the Bruce/Barbara relationship, which even Timm admitted they did just to gross people out.

While Killer Croc himself was fine, it also indirectly led to him becoming known as a stupid, dimwitted villain due to Batman's portrayal of him in "Almost Got'Im".

A third of the episodes were just lousy. The would usually be because of the preachy morals, dumb original villains, a boring premise, or just something that didn't work well. Ones I didn't care for much include "Prophecy of Doom", "Moon of the Wolf", "Batman In My Basement", and "The Cat in the Claw". I didn't care much for the show's versions of Catwoman and Batgirl, really.

Not really Batman related, but some of the portrayals in JL/JLU were also terrible, like the Shade, Sinestro, and Hawkman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

General DCAU
    - Lack of Hal and Barry
    - Sinestro and Star Sapphire really sucked
    - The portrayal of the Wonder Woman mythos, especially Diana and the villains.
    - Peter David Aquaman
    - Hawkman

There was nothing I didn't like about BTAS.

The greater DCAU though once it branched out? That...will take a lot more thought because I have a lot of problems with the hallmarks of that verse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    I enjoyed the New Adventures. Worth the price of admission if only for the previously stated Over the Edge, as well as Legends of the Dark Knight and Girls Night Out.

And of course, World's Finest.

Some of the designs were not necessarily my favorites.

Here here.

I'd still be watching that show.
    The Christmas episode was also good. Especially the end with Gordon and Batman having their annual New Year's coffee.

And let's not forget Nightwing, with his mullet and theme song.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    BTAS can be excused for not going with the Gaiman portrayal of Ivy's powers as it wouldn't have fit with the Noir approach, which is as chauvinistic male fantasy as genres get.
    True in several ways, but noir fiction was also very early in portraying female characters as capable and intelligent in their own right. There is a case to be made that everyone in a noir story are portrayed as dark stereotypes of base humanity, and that the female characters are simply part of that. That still leaves the problem of enforcements of stereotypical traits in men and women, but that's a different question.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    - The portrayal of the Wonder Woman mythos, especially Diana and the villains.
    Now, to be fair, I honestly wonder if Timm and company (or, indeed, any adaptation) could have avoided that no matter how hard they tried. The Wonder Woman mythos are so splintered (both at the creator and the fanbase level) that it's virtually impossible to find any portrayal not pelted with some accusation of "this run is terrible and has set feminism back 30 years!!!1".

Then again, maybe someone in production was just a really, really big Artemis fan.

I don't care much for what they did to Tim Drake. They pretty much destroyed his future, making him some fat repair guy that transforms into the Joker.
    "Batman couldn't make it. Sunshine depresses him." - Tim Drake.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RubberLotus View Post
    Now, to be fair, I honestly wonder if Timm and company (or, indeed, any adaptation) could have avoided that no matter how hard they tried. The Wonder Woman mythos are so splintered (both at the creator and the fanbase level) that it's virtually impossible to find any portrayal not pelted with some accusation of "this run is terrible and has set feminism back 30 years!!!1".

Then again, maybe someone in production was just a really, really big Artemis fan.
    IDK, at the very least they could have not made Diana such an unpleasant warrior woman who loves Batman, and not made Cheetah and Giganta pathetic chumps, thus adding fuel to the annoying "Wonder Woman villains are lame" meme.

If Perez can do it then Timm can definitely do it.

A lot of the BTAS and JLU episodes were terrible in my opinion.

Superman:TAS was the most consistent out of them all, maybe because when Superman was fighting his villains they can do more with the action since there are less limits with the character.

Did not like the Joker new animation style in TNBA

I loved the Justice League show. I actually loved Jon Stewart and Hawkgirl's relationship.
    Favorite characters: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Ozymandias, The Riddler, Hellboy, Renee Montoya.

Terry being Bruce's son.

Even now it just doesn't sit well with me.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

-Epliogue episode for JLU revealing the whole thing for Batman and Terry which I thought was just plain dumb.
    -Shift in the art style, worked well mostly for Superman but not so well for Batman
    -Downplay on some of the other costumed heroes in the series.
    -No Stripes
    -Lack there of of the JSA which they did a sort of episode for.
    -GL missing Kyle and Hal!
    -Wally not acknowlaging Barry.
    -The whole Batwoman situation being three women.
    -Andrea being a sub in for Julie Madison, and apparently staying an assassin for hire.
    -Summer being Vicky Vale pretty much.
    -All the females swooning over Batman in a lot of cases.
    -Lack of supporting casts members in JLU
    -Scarecrow Change! Argh Hated the redesign for him.

All I can think of now...
    Plus side was some intimate shows, the Ivy/Harvey situation, and I loved what they did with Riddler.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    True in several ways, but noir fiction was also very early in portraying female characters as capable and intelligent in their own right. There is a case to be made that everyone in a noir story are portrayed as dark stereotypes of base humanity, and that the female characters are simply part of that. That still leaves the problem of enforcements of stereotypical traits in men and women, but that's a different question.
    Women in noir cannot escape objectification despite being independent and capable. Could you imagine the shriveled when deprived from sunlight Poison Ivy from Black Orchid in BTAS? Providing meta commentary on the desirability of female depictions in noir and other 20th century pop genres? Every time we saw her incarcerated in Arkham or Blackgate on the show, she looked lovelier than ever, fitting perfectly into the femme fatale stereotype.

Having said that, House and Garden was a REAL revelation and one of my favorite episodes in the show simply because it broke free from the noir/femme fatale traps and gave Pamela Isley the human being some much needed fleshing out. It's for that reason I buy the theory that that episode was the swan song for the real Poison Ivy in DCAU and the TNBA version was just her clone all along. Ivy's final and masterful act of epic trickery before her poignant exit from the game, getting back at the world that was so obsessed in defining and caging her.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 02-18-2015 at 04:51 AM.