Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Star Wars: Darth Vader, #1

The original Dark Lord of the Sith stars in his first ongoing series!
    Ever since Darth Vader made his first on-screen appearance, he became the one of the most popular villains to ever haunt an audience's dreams! Now, follow Vader straight from the ending of A NEW HOPE (and the pages of the new STAR WARS comic book) into his own series, showing the Empire's war with the Rebel Alliance from the other side! Writer Kieron Gillen (Uncanny X-Men, Journey Into Mystery, Iron Man) and artist Salvador Larroca (Invincible Iron Man, X-Men: No More Humans) bring us a peek behind the mask of evil!

Full article here.

Well, this is the one Ive been waiting on. Hopefully the hardcover comes out sooner rather than later.

Astonishing Member

i really like the art here

This looks incredible! I think I'll have to pick this one up.

That being said, wasn't the whole point of hiding Luke on Tatooine that it was the one place Vader would never go? I mean, I guess at this point it doesn't matter, since it's post-ANH and Luke is long gone, but there's dad in Jabba's Palace. Vader's right there. On Tatooine.

You got lucky, Kenobi and Yoda. You got real lucky.

Yeah, I know. I know. "No such thing as luck." Sure, it was "the will of the Force."
    Last edited by Darth Board; 02-06-2015 at 09:58 AM.

BANNED

Gillen and LaRocca? Even bigger draw that Aaron and Cassady on SW.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

This looks very good. Props to the creative team for quelling my interest as Vader was forgotten by moi after the Prequels.

I may try to trade some digital codes for this.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Super excited for this. The art looks GREAT, so much better than the Flagship Star Wars title.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Board View Post
    This looks incredible! I think I'll have to pick this one up.

That being said, wasn't the whole point of hiding Luke on Tatooine that it was the one place Vader would never go? I mean, I guess at this point it doesn't matter, since it's post-ANH and Luke is long gone, but there's dad in Jabba's Palace. Vader's right there. On Tatooine.

You got lucky, Kenobi and Yoda. You got real lucky.

Yeah, I know. I know. "No such thing as luck." Sure, it was "the will of the Force."
    There's also the reasonable assumption that he'll figure out who Luke is by the end of the current storyarc in Star Wars. If that's the case, he may well just be coming to Tatooine specifically for information with regards to him.

Oh my god, yes. I will read. I will buy.

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    There's also the reasonable assumption that he'll figure out who Luke is by the end of the current storyarc in Star Wars. If that's the case, he may well just be coming to Tatooine specifically for information with regards to him.
    Right. If you think about it, by the time epV comes around, he already knows who Luke is, by name. We are not shown how that happens between 4 and 5. So with this story, and what's happened in the SW Aaron title, I'm sure a big part of the two stories will be showing how Vader comes to find this out.

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkAndSteel View Post
    Right. If you think about it, by the time epV comes around, he already knows who Luke is, by name. We are not shown how that happens between 4 and 5. So with this story, and what's happened in the SW Aaron title, I'm sure a big part of the two stories will be showing how Vader comes to find this out.
    The simple answer for Vader knowing Luke's name in Ep5 is that the rebellion made a big hero out of Luke, thereby causing the spread of his name across the galaxy as the guy who brought down the Death Star.

The Empire wouldn't exactly need a big spy network to get this information.

It certainly wouldn't require Vader revisiting Tatooine and visiting a gangster who had no reason to know Luke's name other than the usual intergalactic gossip that Vader was already tapped into.

Am I the only one disturbed by what Marvel has been doing with Star Wars? Marvel seems hell-bent to "despecialize" everything about the trilogy, particularly in Ep5 and Ep6.

We already have seen way too many instances of stealing from (chronologically) future scenes from the movies. AT-ATs, Speeder-bikes, Falcon as "trash," Falcon eaten by parasites/scavengers/whatever, even having the rebellion use Jabba's sailbarge design as a space craft. Worse, they used Lando's disguise outfit! (The "negotiation-turns-into-attempted-slaughter" comes from Ep1). And there's NEVER been any indication that Vader has the power to stop an AT-AT leg from coming down. He's never exhibited that level of power. If he had that level of power, he just needed to force-push Luke's X-Wing into the side of the trench instead of wasting time trying to crash him the hard way.

To me, this is not an homage. It's a total ripoff of ideas and concepts that are introduced later in the storyline. Maybe it's just lazy writing... (I swear, Star Wars 1 and 2 read like any average fanfiction ever made. Absolutely nothing new, just rehash in a fanboy way.) ...but it has the effect of "stealing the thunder" of coolness that is introduced in later movies.. Marvel is frolicking down a path that is best trod lightly.

Now Vader is going BACK to Tatooine and nothing good could come of it. For one, Jabba's power comes from the fact that the Tatooine is beyond the Empire's attention. Vader's boots in the sand kill that (ask Lando). And really, if Vader goes poking around he's gonna have to be able to dig up some juicy stuff or he's gonna look like a clueless putz. And if he does dig deep, he's going to have knowledge that will totally undermine the scenes in Ep5 and 6. He'll have to learn about the baby given to the Lars, and where and who it came from, which leads to knowledge of twins, and certainly back to Obi-Wan and the Jedi Council, which leads us to Yoda--someone Vader gives no thought to in the movies. If these connections are known, then Obi-Wan back in action probably means Yoda is involved somehow now since he was involved back then, especially since Luke is a Jedi in training and Obi-Wan is dead. This will raise the huge question why Vader didn't go to Dagobah immediately, or at least after he fights Luke on Bespin. Leaving this alone allows Vader to reasonably forget about Yoda, or to believe he's not a part of it. As it was, Vader thinks only Obi-Wan was involved in the training of a stranger. As it was, at the beginning of Ep5 Vader is looking for a rebel leader who is "strong with the force" but by no means a Jedi. That avoids the Yoda question in the time between Ep4 and Ep5 (which at one point was at least 6 months, maybe 2 yrs, not sure if that has been changed). The time between Ep5 and Ep6 is much shorter, giving Vader very little time to do a side trek to Dagobah to settle a score or prevent more training. (Yoda is so far from Vader's attention that we see no reaction from him when Yoda dies.) Vader must remain ignorant of these connections or it hurts the plots of the movies.

Marvel isn't taking this stuff very seriously, not as seriously as Dark Horse did. They don't seem to be thinking much about how these comics connect (or fail to connect) with the films. And fans will HATE Marvel if they jerk this stuff around like that.
    Last edited by fumetti; 02-12-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Fantastic Member wickedmountain's Avatar

This looks very good the art is great to