Default Hal and Sinestro VS Thor's Rogue Gallery

Who could they beat?

Astonishing Member

Give us some Rogues. Thor's fought some cosmics to schmucks like Mr. Hyde.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

They could beat the hell out of King Cobra, Mongoose and Grey Gargoyle. And it's hilarious to think that those guys were ever "rogues" of Thor's.

As flying people, they should do just fine against the brute/brick class of foes, like Ulik and Algrim/Kurse, and even fully-powered Wrecker (though he did have some plot-device action with the bar a couple of times).

It would be interesting to see what would happen if ring energy touched Absorbing Man - that could go really badly for the Lanterns.

They do not want to mess with Celestials, Gladiator, Ego the Living Planet or beings like that - though it's hard to call them precisely "rogues."

Surtur is to be avoided at all costs.

They would get ribboned by Destroyer or Perrikus and his crowd.

Mephisto? That would depend on prep and where it all goes down.

Loki or Enchantress could do some horrible things to the Lanterns with some distance or some prep, but in the Arena, you'd have to favor the pair of Lanterns over Amora certainly and probably Loki as well (though he is impossible to put down).

Sentry almost has to count as a rogue now, and they don't want any part of his crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Sentry almost has to count as a rogue now, and they don't want any part of his crazy.
    Nah, neither Hal nor Sinestro is blonde.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    They could beat the hell out of King Cobra, Mongoose and Grey Gargoyle. And it's hilarious to think that those guys were ever "rogues" of Thor's.

As flying people, they should do just fine against the brute/brick class of foes, like Ulik and Algrim/Kurse, and even fully-powered Wrecker (though he did have some plot-device action with the bar a couple of times).

It would be interesting to see what would happen if ring energy touched Absorbing Man - that could go really badly for the Lanterns.

They do not want to mess with Celestials, Gladiator, Ego the Living Planet or beings like that - though it's hard to call them precisely "rogues."

Surtur is to be avoided at all costs.

They would get ribboned by Destroyer or Perrikus and his crowd.

Mephisto? That would depend on prep and where it all goes down.

Loki or Enchantress could do some horrible things to the Lanterns with some distance or some prep, but in the Arena, you'd have to favor the pair of Lanterns over Amora certainly and probably Loki as well (though he is impossible to put down).

Basically this. Thor tends to fight a lot of guys way above his weight class, so generally you can expect Hal or Sinestro to do about as well as he does. It's not like Thor's taking Surtur without the rest of Asgard backing him up, for example.

Wasn't Grundy once a GL villain? So even Hyde should put up a little bit of a fight.

Hyde's strongest incarnation is not even close to Grundy's strongest incarnation though.

On top of that, Grundy was specifically a thorn to Alan Scott, who was weak to wood and Grundy was made of plant matter. Irrelevant to Hal and Sinestro.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Hyde's strongest incarnation is not even close to Grundy's strongest incarnation though.
    Eh, one of Hyde's main things is that his power level fluctuates wildly based on his state of mind and the quality and quantity of the serum he drinks. He's been strong enough to... not tank, precisely, but not be all that hurt by some hard shots from Mjolnir. And, on the other hand, he's been KTFO by Daredevil. I absolutely LOVE Daredevil, but anybody he can hurt, even with all of his pressure-points and such, should be reduced to atoms by a shot from Mjolnir in rage.

Yeah, but some of Grundy's incarnation have been powerful enough to straight-up physically overpower the likes of Superman.
    Sure, a non-blitzing, PIS-ridden Superman as usual, but that doesn't change the physical prowess.

Astonishing Member

Clever Lanterns can eliminate most of these folks at the Hyde level. It's a shame that the retcons over the years have diminished the exotic powers of the rings. Early on, the rings could spew antimatter - that vaporizes most of the folks who seem problematic - perhaps even some versions of Superman. One doesn't have to make a giant fist to punch Hyde. One could run a thin probe up his noise and through his sinuses into his brain. Or use such just to lift him into space.

Lanterns are PIS prone - all the time.

Yeah, Modern Day Lanterns are nothing more than *Dudes who create some strange-shaped constructs to beat each other up*

Boy do I miss the time where they used their rings for Time Manipulation, Kryptonite Creation etc

Something to bear in mind against the more cosmic rogues is that Sinestro can, from what I understand, more or less summon Parallax.

I wonder if Hal could beat Hela?

The Lanterns had crazy exotic stuff continue well into the Goeff Johns run, and a bit of it rolled over into the Nu52 as well. I haven't read the Nu52 much since Johns left, so I'm not sure where they currently stand on that junk. They hadn't really done the cosmic scale stuff in terms of power when last I looked though.