Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Darth Vader #1

The original Dark Lord of the Sith stars in his first ongoing series!

Ever since Darth Vader made his first on-screen appearance, he became the one of the most popular villains to ever haunt an audience's dreams! Now, follow Vader straight from the ending of "Star Wars: A New Hope" (and the pages of the new STAR WARS comic book) into his own series, showing the Empire's war with the Rebel Alliance from the other side! Writer Kieron Gillen and artist Salvador Larroca bring us a peek behind the mask of evil!

Full preview here.

I guess it is pointless to resist (my son).

$5?! Pretty easy to resist that.

BANNED

I really hope the Star Wars unvierse doesn't migrate into the Marvel Universe.

I could see Disney pulling that on the off chance the new Star Wars wave doesn't take off.

BANNED

Hot damn, this looks splendacular! I'll have to drop something, though I don't know what. Well, this lands in March so I have time to decide.

Holy crap, this might be the best Larocca work ever. He should do less-human stuff more often.

Interested to see where this goes. Wouldn't have called 'Vader goes to chinwag with Jabba' as a first step.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post

I could see Disney pulling that on the off chance the new Star Wars wave doesn't take off.
    I couldn't, there's no way it won't succeed financially. The new SW movie could be two hours of Mark Hamill staring at a wall, and it would still make over a billion dollars.

Anyway, this looks fantastic(Bib Fortuna!), but I'm not paying five dollars for it.
    Last edited by sprior93; 11-14-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Kieron Gillen written Darth Vader ongoing??? YES! YES! YES!

FIVE BUCKS??? You bastards.

That better be for just the first issue and it better be oversized. For chrissakes Marvel... Disney owns you and you make a ton of money off of movies and licensing yet you can't cut your old school comic readers a break with all these $4.99 books and NO $2.99 AT ALL after She-Hulk??? There's just no excuse anymore with well over half of DC's line still at $2.99, and almost all of their new books (Deathstroke, Gotham Academy, Lobo, Arkham Manor) starting at $2.99. On top of that all of DC's weeklies are $2.99, and the weekly Marvel announced (Wolverines) is $3.99. C'Mon Marvel, you can do us better than that.
    Last edited by Floyd Fenris; 11-14-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Once upon a time, before the days of the MCU, this creative team would probably have been announced on a flagship X-Title.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Fenris View Post
    That better be for just the first issue and it better be oversized.
    I wouldn't expect that.

Larocca's art is looking really good here. Really like what the colorist has done as well.

Artwork looks great but that price. The article says it is for #1 yet the issue number given at the bottom of the image is #0. The price would make sense with an oversized #0.

I'll get it for Jabba.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    $5?! Pretty easy to resist that.
    Nevermind. That's way too high a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Fenris View Post
    Kieron Gillen written Darth Vader ongoing??? YES! YES! YES!

FIVE BUCKS??? You bastards.

That better be for just the first issue and it better be oversized. For chrissakes Marvel... Disney owns you and you make a ton of money off of movies and licensing yet you can't cut your old school comic readers a break with all these $4.99 books and NO $2.99 AT ALL after She-Hulk??? There's just no excuse anymore with well over half of DC's line still at $2.99, and almost all of their new books (Deathstroke, Gotham Academy, Lobo, Arkham Manor) starting at $2.99. On top of that all of DC's weeklies are $2.99, and the weekly Marvel announced (Wolverines) is $3.99. C'Mon Marvel, you can do us better than that.
    I'm sure it will have extra pages. Almost all of Marvel's $4.99 books are longer than 20 pages, usually in the range of 32-40. It also depends on how much you value that digital copy. I like reading in print, but the convenience of digital is nice, so I like that I don't have to pay double to get that with Marvel's books. Plus you can trade them if you didn't like the book or don't really want/need that issue digitally.

And Ms. Marvel is still $2.99.

EDIT: Unless you don't like a book, the $4.99 book is often a better buy in terms of pure dollar spent per page, at least in terms of what the Big 2 are offering. $2.99/20pgs = $0.1495/pg. $3.99/20pgs = $0.1995/page. At 26 pages, a $4.99 book beats the $3.99 book and at 35 pages, it beats the $2.99 book (and effectively ties the $3.99/28pgs book).

SECOND EDIT: Either way, I'm looking forward to giving this a try. It will likely end up on my trade-wait list, simply because that's been my preferred method for Star Wars books for some time.
    Last edited by robreedwrites; 11-14-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Art looks great. Vader and Jabba hanging out is awesome. 5 bucks? Meh, it's probably a 32 page comic. It will drop down to 4 bucks after the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post

Disney keeps their brands separate except for special crossover events. You have not seen Pirates of the Caribbean or Goofy in Marvel Universe. Star Wars will not be pulled into the MU.