Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    When has Hollywood recently catered to white people by turning a heroic minority character white? And white hegemony? Really? As long as we segregate ourselves and blame others for simply existing and succeeding, there will be no prosperity. And I already addressed your Green Lantern not being a "white people superhero."
    You addressed it by bring up Hal Jordan, but Hal Jordan isn't the only Green Lantern so you didn't address anything actually. It was a cute distraction attempt though.

Here is a list of characters that Hollywood has whitewashed since you apparently don't know american history very well.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...d-whitewashed/

Scarlett Johansson has recently been cast in "Ghost In the Shell" remake...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/summer...b_6466498.html

BANNED

Taking an established character and completely changing them is absolutely forced.
    Marvel had been paying Sam Jackson for the right to use his likeness for their Nick Fury character in comic books for years before "Iron Man"

Again, what exactly about Sam Jackson as Nick Fury, which had already been well established in Marvel Comic books felt forced?

Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisennerd View Post
    How did Jackson as Fury seem forced, exactly?
    It wasn't because it was introduced first with Millar's Ultimates, anyone outside of comics didn't know shit anyways, so no it didn't seem forced. but again Fury isn't as Iconic as FF.

I mentioned Jackson as an exception.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that shit is forced in comics/film especially with minorties and gender. There is actually a term for this if you're unaware.

Here is a link for ya. --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokenism
    Last edited by Jesse_Custer; 02-28-2015 at 10:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse_Custer View Post
    It wasn't because it was introduced first with Millars's Ultimates, but again Fury isn't as Iconic as FF.

I mentioned Jackson as an exception.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that shit is forced in comics/film especially with minorties and gender. There is actually a term for this if you're unaware.

Here is a link for ya. --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokenism
    You said it seemed forced, I asked you how and then you said it wasn't...

You'll never get over the "must be a token" mind set if there are always limits placed on how many non-whites there can be. Michael B Jordan won the role of Torch based on talent, but if you automatically assume he was given the role based on his skin, you are downplaying & invalidating that he's a talent who earned the role.

Spectacular Member rhymeswithparc's Avatar

I like how the poll uses the term "colour blind"; I'd love to see what happens when that 'blindness' is directed in a direction that isn't as favoured? Unless colour blindness can be a selective thing, they should use the words they mean.

You said it seemed forced, I asked you how and then you said it wasn't...

You'll never get over the "must be a token" mind set if there are always limits placed on how many non-whites there can be. Michael B Jordan won the role of Torch based on talent, but if you automatically assume he was given the role based on his skin, you are downplaying & invalidating that he's a talent who earned the role.
    That's the funniest thing I heard all day. And for that I thank you.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

You addressed it by bring up Hal Jordan, but Hal Jordan isn't the only Green Lantern so you didn't address anything actually. It was a cute distraction attempt though.

Here is a list of characters that Hollywood has whitewashed since you apparently don't know american history very well.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...d-whitewashed/

Scarlett Johansson has recently been cast in "Ghost In the Shell" remake...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/summer...b_6466498.html
    You're argument doesn't hold up since most of the movies in that list were shot before the 21st century. And the others were either stinkers (The Last Airbender), the race was not specified and people only drew conclusions based on subtle descriptions (Hunger Games), or their virtually unknown fringe films.

And you accuse me of not knowing American history. I'm not the one dodging the question about how minorities are currently being oppressed legally.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

You're argument doesn't hold up since most of the movies in that list were shot before the 21st century. And the others were either stinkers (The Last Airbender), the race was not specified and people only drew conclusions based on subtle descriptions (Hunger Games), or their virtually unknown fringe films.

And you accuse me of not knowing American history. I'm not the one dodging the question about how minorities are currently being oppressed legally.

you can't just say "this doesn't count because it wasn't a good movie"...

and to ask the questions you are asking, you clearly don't know american history. You're making up half your arguments as you go along or creating straw men argument for me to defend, arguments I didn't even make.

That's rude, I don't like being straw manned. You don't want to have a straight discussion, then don't pretend to do so. Good night.
    Last edited by Heisennerd; 02-28-2015 at 10:20 PM.

BANNED

when did I say minorities were legally oppressed? Why are you trying to create straw man arguments?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse_Custer View Post
    I didn't say Fury was forced. I could plead guilty to bad wording, or you could plead guilty to misinterpretation. I guess I could've probably worded it differently since you obviously seem to need things overly explained due to the weakness of your argument.

Again.. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know it's token. Politically correct or not. I don't give a shit.
    what's the weakness of my argument?

I asked you why it seemed forced in reply to you saying, "It seems forced but it didn't take me out of the story"

Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

what's the weakness of my argument?

I asked you why it seemed forced in reply to you saying, "It seems forced but it didn't take me out of the story"
    lol@ the alteration of my quote. Argue with someone that doesn't have a brain in their head and can't recognize shit for what it is. I'm done here because this thread can remain a sanctuary for the unconscious

Keep it civil.
    Discuss the topic, not each other's motives.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I don't know that there's been a lot of truly "color blind" casting. Maybe Johnny Storm as the director just wanted to work with that actor but for others, it seems like deliberate choices to go for Sam Jackson or Jason Momoa and work the role around the type of characters they are known for. Which I'm fine with.

I don't think there is anything intrinsic in Aquaman that has to be white. You could claim the white-nerd aspect is a part of Peter, or Miles being black matters as a reflection of Peter being white. But some characters just are white by default.