Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

I think ... I think Burnham could've done R.I.P. well. I don't know that I would've thought it a few days ago but I did just read Nameless.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House done by a Brian Bolland-type (Garcia Lopez or Perez or Jimenez would all be fine choices) because that's how Grant wrote it, and even though it is what it is because of McKean's amazing work, I always thought it was a historic enough work to deserve the "Original Cut Old School Edition".
    I'd love an old school edition version of Arkham Asylum.

Though what I'd like even more is to have a re-lettered version of it. My eyes can't cope with all that bleeding-red Jokerscript. I can't read what he's saying half the time, which is detrimental to the impact of the story.

BANNED

Batman R.I.P by Art Baltazar
    Batman Hush by Emma Rios
    The Dark Knight Returns by Kate Beaton
    Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader by Tula Lotay
    Death and the Maidens by Sergio Toppi

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I like Burnham, but I think his colorful more cartoonlike style fit the superspy 60s-esque Inc. I'm not sure he could do "dark enough" (for me) for RIP, or Black Glove, the Club of Heroes Agatha Christie arc by JH Williams. Even Burnham's 666 story in Inc, while still really good, is missing some dark edgy element of Kubert's Batman 666.

I like that Morrison's run offer some different artists some more lighter or darker than the others.

RIP is tough...it's dark and yet it still has the colorful silly stuff, so I can't completely disagree with wanting Burnham, but can't fully agree either. Quitely and Burnham for me feel like, while they'd do a great job on RIP....it would be missing something that I liked about Daniel's.

I'm tempted to think JG Jones or Jae Lee. Keep the feel of Daniel's darkness and kind class it up. JG Jones would have been interesting, and then to read FC...would have fit.
    After the nightmarish shit Burnham/Fairbairn do in Nameless, and I'm even more convinced by their superiority.

Tony Daniel was just awful. His posing, his staging, his fight choreography, character acting...its all 90s Image house style junk. He even makes Batman coming out a grave look muddled and non-iconic somehow...like how do you botch that with this generic 90s pin-up you turned in instead? Its a crime such a major part of Morrison's Batman run looks so terrible. Especially because it often has some of the best superhero artists in the business otherwise(Kubert, JH Williams III, Quitely, Stewart, Irving, Paquette, Burnham, etc). I skim read RIP on re-reads nowadays.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Tony Daniel was just awful. His posing, his staging, his fight choreography, character acting...its all 90s Image house style junk. He even makes Batman coming out a grave look muddled and non-iconic somehow...like how do you botch that with this generic 90s pin-up you turned in instead? Its a crime such a major part of Morrison's Batman run looks so terrible. Especially because it often has some of the best superhero artists in the business otherwise(Kubert, JH Williams III, Quitely, Stewart, Irving, Paquette, Burnham, etc). I skim read RIP on re-reads nowadays.
    I wonder if it was somewhat intentional. Morrison said RIP was the "final exam" for grim n gritty (Miller) late 80s/early 90s Batman (and Batman passes mostly but also fails some). I wouldn't put it by Morrison to hope to get a house style trash that reeked of early 90s.

I'm more a writing-focused guy, so I certainly couldn't possibly only skim read RIP, especially as it's Morrison. You're tougher than me there.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Batman Year One by Darwyn Cooke

Fantastic Member

I actually popped in here specifically to suggest Burnham for RIP over Daniel and saw I'd been beaten to the punch. I've been rereading Morrison's run over the last few days, and Burnham came in perfectly for what functioned, essentially, as an end to the whole Batman mythos. Since I feel those threads really kicked off in RIP, I think his art might be a better reflection of its tone.

I wonder if it was somewhat intentional. Morrison said RIP was the "final exam" for grim n gritty (Miller) late 80s/early 90s Batman (and Batman passes mostly but also fails some). I wouldn't put it by Morrison to hope to get a house style trash that reeked of early 90s.
    Which I can also see, and is why I'm begrudgingly okay with Kubert at the beginning of the run despite not loving his art -- it fits a Batman shifting away from the status quo. A full jump into Burnham mode wouldn't quite let it function as the ending it does.

But with RIP, if he really wanted to invoke that, man, what about going all in with someone like Sylvestri? That's basically the trick he pulled for the end of his New X-Men run, and it worked beautifully there. Daniel just didn't quite hit that extreme for me; at least not in a way that felt like an element of the story.

As much as I enjoy Frazier Irving, I'd have loved for Quitely to have done the entirety of Batman & Robin as well. But, schedules.
    Last edited by Cipher; 02-10-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I want to read Batman Incorporated by Jim Steranko and the Return of Bruce Wayne by Gil Kane!