Default Made in China Omnibi?

I was just set to trade in my early ASM Paperback Masterworks towards the first omnibus, and was shocked to see "made in China" on a $99.99 Marvel collection. Imagine my surprise when I got home and noticed the FF Omnibus I had recently bought was as well.

I have just recently gotten into omnibus buying, and this is distressing. The Chinese printer do color great, and offer low prices, but I'm my experience, the binding is horrid, often starting to separate as you are reading it, and the books have ZERO tolerance for steam/moisture, often warping easily. Chinese omnibi typically sell for much less than Marvels $100+ tag, which is an acceptable tradeoff. I cannot justify paying premium archival rates for what is essentially a disposable reader edition.

Is this is the new status quo at Marvel? How about DC? I will be switching back to softcover ultimate/epic/complete collections, and the recently discontinued paperback masterworks.

Lastly, can anyone with recent editions of these books confirm the country of origin? Thanks

Green Lantern by Geoff John's Omnibus
    Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus
    Last edited by Anjohl; 02-06-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Marvel Omnibus have had great sewn bindings since about 2009, and I hate to break it to you but all books ever published have zero tolerance for steam/moisture.

Amazing Member

China omniboo are ok. The only thing I don't like is the unattractive "made in china" text on the dustcover. That should be hidden in the first page where they got all the legal text.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Holy crap, welcome to 7 years ago. Starting with Iron Man Vol 1 in 2008 all Marvel omnibuses and most OHCs have been printed in China, which allows them to have a flexible sewn binding that makes big books possible to read.

Chinese printing is what SAVED the omnibus line. Want to know what an AMERICAN book looks like?

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of Marvel's trades are printed in China as well so you're SOL.
    Last edited by CrazyOldHermit; 02-07-2015 at 01:21 AM.
    Miller was right.

Being printed in China isn't a problem in and off itself. I own some fantastic quality books that were made in Asia from other companies. The problems you should be worried about are (1) Marvel pays the printer to make a lower quality product that it then charges the same or higher prices than it did a few short years ago and (2) the lack of quality control at RR Donnelly China, the printer Marvel uses.

All the comic publishers are pretty much using China to print their hardcovers, but Marvel has decided to increase profit margins by foregoing quality. This can be seen in the cheap paper used in these $100+ books as well the cheap paper covers that have replaced the faux leather covers from a few years ago. Also, the quality control is just not there for the books printed by RR Donnelly China. Last year I received one omnibus with over half a dozen pages that were torn at the factory right down the middle of the page! Another book had glue overspray that forced me to pry the pages apart resulting in torn pages and a very used look after I pried the pages apart! I and others could go on and on with problem books we've received from RR Donnelly's printing plant in China.

I stress that it's not just not Chinese books that are the problem, because I've never had a problem with Chinese made books from other publishers like Dynamite, Fantagraphics, Dark Horse or IDW. It's just that Marvel cuts corners to increase their profit margins by using cheaper materials and not using a QC team at the printer.

On a slightly different tangent I would argue that Marvel's bindings aren't that great. It's nice that they open wide so that you don't have gutter loss, but they fall open due to a lack of support for the big textblocks used in these huge omnibuses and not due to a superior quality binding. I just hope my books stay together long enough to enjoy a second or third or fourth reading. A lot of people post pics here of books that couldn't stand a first reading before showing problems with wear.

I'd also take issue that books have zero tolerance for moisture. Unless you live in an extremely arid environment like the desert, there's always some moisture in the air. The better quality the paper, (i.e., thicker), the better the moisture resistance I would imagine. I have books that are 30+ years old that don't suffer the curling and waviness that some of these books printed on thin modern paper do weeks after printing.

Thanks for the backup Greg! You said what I was trying to much more succintly.

I have not bought a single marvel or DC paperback printed in China, as I specifically check fornthat before buying. I am shocked that they would try that with an archival format aimed at more quality sconscious buyers.

I would maybe buy a Chinese Omnibus if it was $39.99-$49.99, but not $99.99, the same as quality american/canadian printings with solid bindings, and thick covers as discussed above.

So, has anyone bought the GL by JJ omnibus? I REALLY want that one, but I will have to pass if its chinese.

And this is not to condemn them, my buisiness has me importing from there all the time, but there are certain things you cant buy out of there, namely:

- books
    - guitars
    - cars

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post

I have not bought a single marvel or DC paperback printed in China, as I specifically check fornthat before buying. I am shocked that they would try that with an archival format aimed at more quality sconscious buyers.

I would maybe buy a Chinese Omnibus if it was $39.99-$49.99, but not $99.99, the same as quality american/canadian printings with solid bindings, and thick covers as discussed above.

So, has anyone bought the GL by JJ omnibus? I REALLY want that one, but I will have to pass if its chinese.

And this is not to condemn them, my buisiness has me importing from there all the time, but there are certain things you cant buy out of there, namely:

- books
    - guitars
    - cars
    I don't think you're listening. Being printed in China is not a problem.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    On a slightly different tangent I would argue that Marvel's bindings aren't that great. It's nice that they open wide so that you don't have gutter loss, but they fall open due to a lack of support for the big textblocks used in these huge omnibuses and not due to a superior quality binding. I just hope my books stay together long enough to enjoy a second or third or fourth reading. A lot of people post pics here of books that couldn't stand a first reading before showing problems with wear.

I'd also take issue that books have zero tolerance for moisture. Unless you live in an extremely arid environment like the desert, there's always some moisture in the air. The better quality the paper, (i.e., thicker), the better the moisture resistance I would imagine. I have books that are 30+ years old that don't suffer the curling and waviness that some of these books printed on thin modern paper do weeks after printing.
    Having such a flexible spine is the superior binding. The text block being unsupported is why Marvel books are so great. It what actually lets read monsters like the Roger Stern omnibus and I'm pretty sure reading is what books are all about.

As for humidity, I live in Vancouver and anyone who lives here can tell you we have humid summers (which are getting hotter and more humid every year it seems). And this past summer not one of my twelve omnibuses (or any of my other books) experienced any waviness or deformation.

But if you feel your Chinese-made omnis with flexible binding are no longer sufficient to the task of sitting on a shelf, I'll be glad to take them off your hands for you!

- books
    - guitars
    - cars
    Marvel has been producing omnibuses in China since 2008 and until 2013, when the covers changed from imitation leather to art-on-cover, nobody had any complaints. They left DC's books in the dust and were the gold standard of these large books. In fact people were advised against buying the pre-2008 ombecause because of how crappy their binding was.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I don't think you're listening. Being printed in China is not a problem.
    As someone who has an extensive book collection, I can unequivocally state that it is definitely a problem. Chinese bindings rarely last through a reading, and besides, for $100, the work should be done in a country where workers are paid more, and thus the quality control is higher.

Chinese books are not archival quality. 100% of cheap books in book stores, and on the comic rack are chinese printed. Even the Koreans are doing a much better job, using a much higher quality of materials. Again, if I am buying a quality of components befitting a $40 collection, than I expect to pay no more than that, not $100, the same price they charged when the books were printed stateside. Move labor offshore all you want, but pass at least the vast majority of the savings to ME, not to the CEO.

As someone who has an extensive book collection, I can unequivocally state that it is definitely a problem. Chinese bindings rarely last through a reading, and besides, for $100, the work should be done in a country where workers are paid more, and thus the quality control is higher.

Chinese books are not archival quality. 100% of cheap books in book stores, and on the comic rack are chinese printed. Even the Koreans are doing a much better job, using a much higher quality of materials. Again, if I am buying a quality of components befitting a $40 collection, than I expect to pay no more than that, not $100, the same price they charged when the books were printed stateside. Move labor offshore all you want, but pass at least the vast majority of the savings to ME, not to the CEO.
    Most of us have an "extensive book collection" and have varying qualities from all over the world. We are collectors. I think the point is that if marvel (or anyone) released a crappy book then they probably ordered it to a certain spec. If it was a
    "China is crappy problem" then the pressure is even MORE on marvel to not order from there for the sake of customers, but the fact is quality is not always the priority or the fault of the printer. If marvel told the printer "make it higher grade paper, use different glue" the printer would say "sure." They're not some moustache twirling villain stealing marvels cash. They can do better if they are billed to.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

From my experience Omnibees done in China are way better than their US counterparts.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by silkcuts View Post
    From my experience Omnibees done in China are way better than their US counterparts.
    I was wondering if he wasn't happy with the quality of the Chinese books then how on earth is he happy with the American ones?, the few American made ones these days are some of the worst low quality productions i've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Most of us have an "extensive book collection" and have varying qualities from all over the world. We are collectors. I think the point is that if marvel (or anyone) released a crappy book then they probably ordered it to a certain spec. If it was a
    "China is crappy problem" then the pressure is even MORE on marvel to not order from there for the sake of customers, but the fact is quality is not always the priority or the fault of the printer. If marvel told the printer "make it higher grade paper, use different glue" the printer would say "sure." They're not some moustache twirling villain stealing marvels cash. They can do better if they are billed to.
    I think you've nailed it! Marvel wants to pay as little as possible for these $100+ books and not a penny more in order to max out their profits. They count on fanboys to buy them regardless of quality, thinking we'll buy anything. Other publishers like Fantagraphics have proven the Chinese can make a decent book if held to a higher standard. The Chinese aren't the mustache twirlers in this scenario.

My China printed MMWs are some of my highest quality books, imo.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."