Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Midnighter appreciation thread

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So who's keen for the midnighter series? I literally can't tell you how excited I am about this. I started following the writer, steve orlando, and he really seems to get it.

Plus, midnighter and Apollo were the very first gay couple I ever saw way back when no gay characters were allowed to appear anywhere (unless it was for an Oscar bait movie and only then if they got killed off brutally).

I just can't wait. This will mark my triumphant return to the dcu (besides batgirl)

So how keen are you?

Except an one issue Stormwatch cameo in I, Vampire the only Midnighter stuff I've read is in Grayson so I would certainly consider myself a newly converted fan!

I'm certainly interested in the upcoming title, I will have to look into the series more when more information and preview art comes out for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.

I'm pretty excited about this! Midnighter can be a fascinating character when writers really dig into him. The Grayson writers have been doing great things with him recently and I'm really glad DC is giving him another shot. Fingers crossed!

I really hope Apollo has a big role in this new series. Their rock solid relationship and mostly angst-free love for one another has always been one of the big draws for me to the characters. Makes them much more than just murderous Batman and solar battery Superman.

Roll on scary leather man!

Yeah I wonder what the current status of Apollo is at the moment. It's funny he hasn't really popped up yet. Maybe since the new reboot their relationship didn't work out?

I do love that they have a solid relationship but like all characters it might be interesting for them to have other love interests as well.

Who do you reckon could play him in a movie? It would have to be Daniel Craig wouldn't it.

For the new solo Midnighter, hopefully, Midnighter can find new boyfriends.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Yeah I wonder what the current status of Apollo is at the moment. It's funny he hasn't really popped up yet. Maybe since the new reboot their relationship didn't work out?

I do love that they have a solid relationship but like all characters it might be interesting for them to have other love interests as well.

Who do you reckon could play him in a movie? It would have to be Daniel Craig wouldn't it.
    Apollo made an appearance in Grayson. They seem to still be in a relationship (kind of), but Midnighter has been doing his solo job.

I hope the post convergence Midnighter will be a reboot and erase the old history with stormwatch so Midnighter can move on to newer things.

Love the character, so pretty pumped. It's a bummer that his profile rises as Batwoman's wanes though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sanderling View Post
    I'm pretty excited about this! Midnighter can be a fascinating character when writers really dig into him. The Grayson writers have been doing great things with him recently and I'm really glad DC is giving him another shot. Fingers crossed!
    Cue scary music.
    And that ladies and gents is the million dollar question. When Middie is written well he rocks. To me he is like a cross between Wolverine and Captain America. A good looking thug with a moral compass. The problem is when certain writers who either can’t write, don’t get the character or understand butcher the character.
    Like Mark Millar’s snide mocking interpretation. Or Ed Brubaker and Garth Ennis PC/girl slash interpretation. They don’t get the fact that the guy is an ex hard core special ops soldier. He is not soft and he is neither is he a knuckle dragging meat head. He is the kind of character that requires a lot of nuance. I hope that they put a half decent writer on his book. Warren Ellis who got me interested in the character would be great.

Appollo showed up briefly in an issue of Grayson to stop Midnighter from torturing someone. He told him that he needs to get back to ‘Stormwatch and get back to me’. So I assume that they are still together. It’s just that Midnighter is on his mission and doesn’t care about anything else.

LOL! Amazing. When I saw Daniel Craig in QoS I said that he was essentially playing the Midnighter. While Pierce Brosnan is closer to Batman.

I loved the character from Warren Ellis and Byran Hitch's The Authority, even if succeeding runs fell short for me. I'm glad they got rid of his horrid New 52 costume.

Never heard of Steve Orlando before, but he seems quite enthusiastic about writing Midnighter and ACO is an amazing artist. Finally Midnighter might be fulfilling his potential, really excited about the new series.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Here's a classic Midnighter moment from Ellis/Hitch's Authority.

Haha oh god I love him and Ellis and millers runs on the authority

Spectacular Member

The announcement of the ongoing has me interested in DC again. And in doing that I found out he is in Grayson so I will be picking that up.

Midnighter and Apollo are probably my favourite Wildstorm characters so I hope this ongoing doesn't end up cancelled after a year. Grifter was meant to be big in New52 so hopefully Midnighter can be big in Post-Convergence.

I am still annoyed that DC went to all the trouble to promote Green Lantern as coming out as gay when they still had Midnighter and Apollo. I am straight but one of the best things about Midnighter and Apollo is they are violent ass kickers and are in a relationship together. How that is not enough to have them heavily promoted is anyone's guess.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I know you're joking, but that could actually be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    I hope they don't go there, not only to avoid the drama, but also because I think Apollo is such a great character on his own and I want to see more of him. I love his combo of happy laid-back personality and utter willingness to incinerate you without a second thought. Plus his powers always look so cool on the page.