Page 196 of 287 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 4303

I don't know that he holds them back in the books. I definitely doubt the ability of any movie studio of making selling him in live-action; without drastically changing the character. for starters, the guy's actual last name is von Doom. you might be able to get away with that in a Pixar film. but how can adults be expected to take him seriously as a major league adversary? imagine if Mysterio's really name was Quentin McTerror.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I don't know that he holds them back in the books. I definitely doubt the ability of any movie studio of making selling him in live-action; without drastically changing the character. for starters, the guy's actual last name is von Doom. you might be able to get away with that in a Pixar film. but how can adults be expected to take him seriously as a major league adversary? imagine if Mysterio's really name was Quentin McTerror.
    In books he dominates the story whenever he's in it and seems to have to be presented in such a way that even when he loses he wins. Don't get me wrong that is part of what makes him a great villain, but that type of villain needs to be used occasionally. Doom has been used too often by the Fantastic Four. It's gotten to the point where we know more about Doom and his personality than members of the team and that's ridiculous to me. Imagine if we knew more about Lex Luthor than we ever did of Superman. It's not a surprise that many consider him greater than the team when he is often treated better.
    It's time for a long break with the Doom stories, especially after Secret Wars. Have him do his own thing and be an antagonist to other heroes and teams, make the Fantastic Four stop relying on him as it benefits nobody. Both sides just end up regressing.

I have nothing to say on possible films as that's a different medium with its own trials. I don't know what they can and can't make work, we'd just have to wait and see.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    In books he dominates the story whenever he's in it and seems to have to be presented in such a way that even when he loses he wins. Don't get me wrong that is part of what makes him a great villain, but that type of villain needs to be used occasionally. Doom has been used too often by the Fantastic Four. It's gotten to the point where we know more about Doom and his personality than members of the team and that's ridiculous to me. Imagine if we knew more about Lex Luthor than we ever did of Superman.
    you have a point. it's just that they've neutered the Four's other villains (killed Diablo, even). can they afford to lose him.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    you have a point. it's just that they've neutered the Four's other villains (killed Diablo, even). can they afford to lose him.
    As I said in my rant: If the Fantastic Four can't survive without Doom then they should no longer have a book.

A superhero and superhero team will always have their defining villain, but they should not be over-reliant on that villain to the point where they can't survive without them. Especially when it's gotten to the point where the villain is much more popular than the protagonists. He's more developed than most of them too.
    Doom can survive without the Fantastic Four, so the FF have to grow and be able to survive without him too.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

That's an intriguing variant by Bagley in that he's back in the classic armor. I do think a redesign wouldn't hurt.

Here's a variant by artist Pxeong Jun Park for next week's Marvel 2 in One Annual

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-06-2018 at 09:39 AM.

As I said in my rant: If the Fantastic Four can't survive without Doom then they should no longer have a book.

A superhero and superhero team will always have their defining villain, but they should not be over-reliant on that villain to the point where they can't survive without them. Especially when it's gotten to the point where the villain is much more popular than the protagonists. He's more developed than most of them too.
    Doom can survive without the Fantastic Four, so the FF have to grow and be able to survive without him too.
    I said this in the Doom thread but I think Hickman's Fantastic Four didn't lean on him too much. He did have that one solo outing about the Parliament of Doom but I wouldn't say he overshadowed the FF. Hickman added things like the Council of Reeds, which started out looking benevolent but we later found out that wasn't necessarily true about all of them. The Future Foundation was perfect for the Fantastic Four with Reed and Sue being Marvel's most prominent parents. And I hope they bring back Dragon Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I said this in the Doom thread but I think Hickman's Fantastic Four didn't lean on him too much. He did have that one solo outing about the Parliament of Doom but I wouldn't say he overshadowed the FF. Hickman added things like the Council of Reeds, which started out looking benevolent but we later found out that wasn't necessarily true about all of them. The Future Foundation was perfect for the Fantastic Four with Reed and Sue being Marvel's most prominent parents. And I hope they bring back Dragon Man!
    Dragon Man was one of the best parts of that run.

I'm really hoping he makes a return as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Dragon Man was one of the best parts of that run.

I'm really hoping he makes a return as well.
    Ah...another Dragon Man fan! We must have more of little Bentley too! There was another thing I liked in Hickman's FF is that weird cult that was linked to Annihilus and the Negative Zone. I was also glad that Reed's father played a prominent role and it wasn't the Nathaniel from DeFalco's run.

One day I hope someone remembers that Wyatt Wingfoot exists.

Ah...another Dragon Man fan! We must have more of little Bentley too! There was another thing I liked in Hickman's FF is that weird cult that was linked to Annihilus and the Negative Zone. I was also glad that Reed's father played a prominent role and it wasn't the Nathaniel from DeFalco's run.

The FF has a long list of concepts that have come from their book and Marvel could certainly do worse than to rely on some of them for additional flavor.

Hickman's run had that sweetspot of having Doom but using him sparingly, but it wasn't after an event like Secret wars like this book will be. While Secret Wars was a couple years ago, it was the last thing with the FF in it and it was completely about Doom's rivalry with Reed. It was a great conclusion to that dynamic imo and should not be touched in in a very long time, I'd be alright with Doom appearing in the FF book occasionally if it was hero Doom. As that dynamic is new and can lead to interesting things, even then it should still be very infrequent. But if Doom is back to being a bad guy as it seems then he should not appear in a FF book for at least a few years.

That much I can agree with. They should always strive to be better.

He was in Fraction's run. He spent Valentine's Day with she-hulk and helped old alternate reality Johnny Storm cope with losing his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    You already have a dog! Where is he, in doggie heaven?

He might be in actual Heaven, whatever that is. (not real Heaven, with The One as Jack)

New updated solicit

FANTASTIC FOUR #1
    (W) Dan Slott (A) Skottie Young, Simone Bianchi, Sara Pichelli (CA) Esad Ribic
    FOUREVER Part One
    BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT – THE WORLD’S GREATEST COMIC MAGAZINE IS BACK!
    Since the end of SECRET WARS, there’s been a gap in the Marvel Universe. A void no other team can fill. And it’s time for the world to move on. But can it? A life-changing decision by the Thing! A momentous declaration by the Human Torch! A clarion call-to-arms that summons Doctor Doom! And a signal in the sky that heralds the return of hope to the Marvel Universe! All this, and Alicia Masters adopts kittens! So cute! Plus, the Impossible Man!
    AND BONUS STORIES ILLUSTRATED BY SIMONE BIANCHI AND SKOTTIE YOUNG!
    IF YOU READ ONLY ONE MARVEL COMIC THIS MONTH, THIS IS THE ONE!
    Rated T In Shops: Aug 08, 2018
    SRP: $5.99
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...tastic-four-1/

It looks like there are going to be some bonus stories in FF #1 which is really cool. Seems like Marvel is going all out.

I'm guessing Young's has to do with Frank and Val?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman