Page 257 of 287 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 4303

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    FF fans have to admit that the Fantastic Four are not as popular as they were 30 years ago and their popularity just continued to fall. It's a simple fact. If they were popular Marvel would have been unable to cancel their book, just look at the X-Men who were too popular for Marvel to cancel without extreme backlash.

The Fantastic aren't that popular, the time away and recent return are a chance to rebuild their popularity. Things need to change and the mistakes from before shouldn't be repeated. One such mistake was the team not impacting or being involved in the MU outside of their book like they should. Their rebuilding of the multiverse should be mentioned by other characters, especially ones that universe hop. The team both together and individually should cameo, guest appear, and team-up with other heroes in other books often. Make them really involved in the MU and hard to ignore.
    Unfortunately, I am inclined to agree that the Fantastic Four, while maintaining a loyal fan base are definitely not what I would consider to be popular characters at this point in time. Just looking at a lot of comments from Youtube videos that talk about the Disney/Fox merger, a lot of comments are "I don't really care about the Fantastic Four, but Doom and Silver Surfer are cool" or "The Fantastic Four are boring". People seem much more excited about the X-Men returning home than the F4.

No, the FF are not that popular. Marvel needs to be careful with how they market them but they definitely need to find a way to make them relevant. I think planning a big event and having the FF be at the core of the conflict, not merely on the periphery is a way to go about that. They need to be major figures in the MU that you cant simply ignore

Mighty Member

The problem with the Fantastic Four is that they're supposedly a product of their time with Reed and Sue being the most "boring." After all, in the 1960s, it was weird for superheroes to need to worry about the rent, their investment in the stock market, and having to care for an actual family. With the rise of putting an emphasis on the "human" in "superhuman," those ideas feel like a thing of the past. It's why Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm have always been seen as unique characters not only in design but also in character. Sue is the "boring" responsible sibling while Johnny is the awesome reckless one who gives the audience some sense of youth. Ben is the rock monster with a million stories that can be told from that.

Then there are Franklin and Val. Both are powerful beyond belief, just in different ways. One can break reality with ease; the other is smart beyond belief. They're hard to write well because of their age and personalities. In early FF stories, Franklin was nothing more than a ticking time bomb that his parents needed to control. It's easier to write a character who is smart beyond belief but can't do anything with it than a character who is powerful beyond belief yet can do something out of nothing.

That's from what I've seen. It's not like it reflects my sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    Unfortunately, I am inclined to agree that the Fantastic Four, while maintaining a loyal fan base are definitely not what I would consider to be popular characters at this point in time. Just looking at a lot of comments from Youtube videos that talk about the Disney/Fox merger, a lot of comments are "I don't really care about the Fantastic Four, but Doom and Silver Surfer are cool" or "The Fantastic Four are boring". People seem much more excited about the X-Men returning home than the F4.
    I see that sentiment all the time. Doom is more developed than the Fantastic Four, which is a shame. We know his history, his motivations, his personality, how he responds to many different situations. He cameo's in lots of books, a future version of him is in guest appearing in the current Thor book. Each member of the Fantastic Four should be treated as well as Doom is by Marvel. Develop Sue's personality, Let Johnny grow and mature, make Ben one of the main Marvel heavyweights again. And let them all appear in the MU often, not just once every few years or in the background of an event.

The current run by Slott has the most eyes on it than any other FF run has had in a very long time. This paired with upcoming Disney purchase makes now the best time to try and reignite the FF's popularity. I hope that Marvel does not squander it.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No, the FF are not that popular. Marvel needs to be careful with how they market them but they definitely need to find a way to make them relevant. I think planning a big event and having the FF be at the core of the conflict, not merely on the periphery is a way to go about that. They need to be major figures in the MU that you cant simply ignore
    A Fantastic Four event is a long time coming. It would show that the team is one of the main players of the Marvel Universe. The Avengers and X-Men have had many events over the years and the FF should be treated the same.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    The problem with the Fantastic Four is that they're supposedly a product of their time with Reed and Sue being the most "boring." After all, in the 1960s, it was weird for superheroes to need to worry about the rent, their investment in the stock market, and having to care for an actual family. With the rise of putting an emphasis on the "human" in "superhuman," those ideas feel like a thing of the past. It's why Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm have always been seen as unique characters not only in design but also in character. Sue is the "boring" responsible sibling while Johnny is the awesome reckless one who gives the audience some sense of youth. Ben is the rock monster with a million stories that can be told from that.

Then there are Franklin and Val. Both are powerful beyond belief, just in different ways. One can break reality with ease; the other is smart beyond belief. They're hard to write well because of their age and personalities. In early FF stories, Franklin was nothing more than a ticking time bomb that his parents needed to control. It's easier to write a character who is smart beyond belief but can't do anything with it than a character who is powerful beyond belief yet can do something out of nothing.

That's from what I've seen. It's not like it reflects my sentiments.
    Reed has a personality when it's not limited to him just spouting technobabble. I think he's at his best when you highlight this child-like excitement he gets when he finds and learns something new. Plus he can come across a bit abrasive, but that's just a result of his intelligence being so much higher than most.

Sue's personality needs to be more than just "mother". In her appreciation thread I talked about Marvel Knights 4, which has my favorite depiction of Sue: "She was fun, not nagging, made jokes, was confident, kicked ass, and had a lot of heart. I wish writers used that run as the base for Sue's personality and develop it even further, make her personality even more interesting".

I don't understand why the FF are saddled with being dated in the 60s when other teams and heroes made during the same period aren't.
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-15-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Because they're a classic nuclear family. By the end of the 60s, they were set up as Dad (Reed), Mum (Sue), Son (Franklin), Uncle (Johnny), and honorary Uncle (Ben). Most of the other Marvel heroes aren't that, they're more dysfunctional, very few are even married.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

True. The X-Men crew that debuted in the 60s bombed. FF's dynamic worked and it's only competition was probably Avengers until the X-Men revamp where the mutants all over the place.

Unused FF proposal by Alex Ross.

I. have. No. Words.
    FF 1.jpg
    FF 3.jpg
    FF 4.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Wow!!! Alex Ross rules...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

But I don't understand why it hasn't been used at least as some variant...

Marvel! Give Ross a lot of money and make him do the art for a whole FF mini!!! Instant classic guaranteed!
    Last edited by Abe; 10-15-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Yet, many of those same fans probably LOVE Incredibles. Something else is going on.

Secret Wars 2 was arguably a "Fantastic Four event", maybe it was the wrong idea to take them off the canvas.

Maybe moving out of Secret Wars was where they should have pushed the new phase or direction.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

* Secret Wars (2015)
    There's already a Secret Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Because they're a classic nuclear family. By the end of the 60s, they were set up as Dad (Reed), Mum (Sue), Son (Franklin), Uncle (Johnny), and honorary Uncle (Ben). Most of the other Marvel heroes aren't that, they're more dysfunctional, very few are even married.
    As Oberon said, the Incredibles are a nuclear family yet that hasn't harmed them. Plus, the FF aren't really a nuclear family anymore when you count those from the Future Foundation that they adopted.

Secret Wars was kinda sorta an FF event that was under the guise of an Avengers event.
    Last edited by Crimz; 10-15-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!