Page 12 of 287 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    Well, I certainly wish they'd start doing that at the Hobby Lobby here. It scares me to think that at a store like that, presumably, the comics are predominantly for those who like to do a craft called 'upcycling', which is basically taking old comics and cutting them up for decoupage, scrapbook, jewelry, and other various projects. Would definitely have to save the FF ones I don't have from that fate if any of them are spotted.

Ollie's is another store chain that is AWESOME for comic book goodies, both comics themselves (when the Ollie's near me opened last year, they had the $6 comic bundles with TONS of 70's, 80's, and 90's back issues) and toys/various collectibles. Thanks to them, I've managed to nab Reed, Johnny, and Doom Bonkazonks, Ben and Victor 'Hot Wheels', and a Super Hero Squad Thing car.
    Wait, no, Ollie's was definitely the one was I was thinking of. One of my favorite back-issues I've gotten through is through there and involves Doctor Doom! The Punisher deals with him this time. One of these days, I'll find part two...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Wait, no, Ollie's was definitely the one was I was thinking of. One of my favorite back-issues I've gotten through is through there and involves Doctor Doom! The Punisher deals with him this time. One of these days, I'll find part two...
    Is that the one where the Punisher stole a portrait of his parents or something like that?

Anyway, a couple more stores that have those superhero plaques in my area are Mejiers (wish I got the one of FF #45) and Gordman's. Whatever company makes them, they seem to issue new ones periodically. I got the one of Amazing Fantasy #15 for my nephew's bedroom. I also have seen a couple featuring Steranko's Captain America covers 110-111 and Kirby's Captain America #100.

A Happy Memorial Day to all American FANtastics!!

"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking

Fantastic Four Hi Res.
    by Inhuman00

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Fantas...-Res-455697128

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

Reminds me of Alan Davis.

Yes, despite the 4 emblems being 'different', and the children having a presence (albeit minimally), this is a masterpiece. Just when I think DeviantArt couldn't amaze me enough already, along comes gorgeousness like the above. Thank you, THANK YOU for sharing it, CJ.

While I'm at it, I must say that I absolutely LOVE, among the myriads upon myriads of details, the facets of Ben's rocky hide and Doom's mask/armor, the incorporation of Johnny's emblem and hair, and just how stunning Reed and Sue look. Just absolutely golden all around, as can just about always be expected from Alan Davis, definitely my pick for the last truly great FF artist thus far. And Inhuman00 did a phenom job inking it to boot.

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

I'm seriously considering collecting Byrne's run of the FF as a personal birthday present, though I'm still debating between going the omnibus route or just tracking down the Visionaries volumes. It's been a long time coming for me, and as a fan, I want to dig into this run and enjoy every bit of it. I've also considered reading Jonathan Hickman's run from the beginning, since I really liked the one volume I got to read from his tenure.

If money is an object, Rozen, I'd actually recommend going after the first Byrne FF Omnibus over the first four or five Visionaries volumes. The first Byrne FF Omnibus collects the entirety of, at least IMO, the first and BEST half of the Byrne run, FF #232-260 (although I wish it had included FF #261-262) AND some quite fab bonuses (like Byrne's pre-big kahuna run issues, including three favorites of mine in FF #214 (my personal most favorite Johnny 'solo' story) and FF #220-221). THE true FF desert island book, at least for me, and, more often than not, it can be found on Amazon's marketplace and eBay for between $40-$50 ($40-30 off the original price!).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Reminds me of Alan Davis.
    It is Alan Davis. I think the DA artist inked it.

So far behind, and have to go mow the grass. Will catch up later!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Smile

Yes, despite the 4 emblems being 'different', and the children having a presence (albeit minimally), this is a masterpiece. Just when I think DeviantArt couldn't amaze me enough already, along comes gorgeousness like the above. Thank you, THANK YOU for sharing it, CJ.

While I'm at it, I must say that I absolutely LOVE, among the myriads upon myriads of details, the facets of Ben's rocky hide and Doom's mask/armor, the incorporation of Johnny's emblem and hair, and just how stunning Reed and Sue look. Just absolutely golden all around, as can just about always be expected from Alan Davis, definitely my pick for the last truly great FF artist thus far. And Inhuman00 did a phenom job inking it to boot.
    Miss Fantastic, This Post is why you are such a Great Poster, Especially for the FF, you get into detail and the heart of the FF and the Mythos very well and Greatly Appropriate to a Great extent, it is an Honor to Know how much you loved the art their, Very Glad I found it indeed! :-)

When it comes to Art of Any Short I am Very Picky and I don't choice anything, it has to portray a good representation of who is in it and what it is about. What I liked about this FF one was the Mythos feel combine with the Montage of all the most Important members of the FF Mythos and the Artwork had Indeed a Jack Kirby Era Greatness feel to it as well, at it was to me, Very Strong that artwork was indeed! ;-)

Very Nice to Enjoy it with you and the other FF Faithful Indeed! =)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I'm seriously considering collecting Byrne's run of the FF as a personal birthday present, though I'm still debating between going the omnibus route or just tracking down the Visionaries volumes. It's been a long time coming for me, and as a fan, I want to dig into this run and enjoy every bit of it. I've also considered reading Jonathan Hickman's run from the beginning, since I really liked the one volume I got to read from his tenure.
    If money is an object, Rozen, I'd actually recommend going after the first Byrne FF Omnibus over the first four or five Visionaries volumes. The first Byrne FF Omnibus collects the entirety of, at least IMO, the first and BEST half of the Byrne run, FF #232-260 (although I wish it had included FF #261-262) AND some quite fab bonuses (like Byrne's pre-big kahuna run issues, including three favorites of mine in FF #214 (my personal most favorite Johnny 'solo' story) and FF #220-221). THE true FF desert island book, at least for me, and, more often than not, it can be found on Amazon's marketplace and eBay for between $40-$50 ($40-30 off the original price!).
    Excellent points, Miss Fantastic. Plus, the Ominbus are oversized, so the pages / art is actually larger.

But, of course, Rozen, it depends on how you read these things and if you want to scan panels for posting. You can't scan the Omnibus very well. And it a BIG book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Excellent points, Miss Fantastic. Plus, the Ominbus are oversized, so the pages / art is actually larger.

But, of course, Rozen, it depends on how you read these things and if you want to scan panels for posting. You can't scan the Omnibus very well. And it a BIG book.
    Thanks for the input, both of you. I hope I can still find the omnibus locally.

On another note, I finished reading Dark Reign: Fantastic Four today. As a lead-in to Jonathan Hickman's tenure on the team, I actually had a lot more fun with it than I'd expect. I'm a fan of Hickman's Avengers, but it took a long while to get where it's going, with a lot to play attention to. Compared to that, this was a pretty much a far cry for me. There was a lot of interesting moments with looking into the multiple universes and seeing Reed build up on his epiphany (which also makes his role in Civil War a little more sensible, but I still have my issues). That one bit with Franklin and Norman Osborn when he was being in by Valeria was also hilariously awesome (all of issues 4 and 5 were pretty awesome, too).

Hopefully, I can get into the rest of the run, as soon as I get a proper reading order.

I was at a half price books and grabbed issues #22-#25 of Volume 3, I think? Chris Claremont/Salvador Larroca - Since I wasn't reading F4 at the time, I was curious about what Val was originally like when she Valeria Von Doom. Art preferences aside, those 3 issues were actually kinda fun - I kinda assumed they'd be terrible. I'll probably hunt out the rest of the issues from that time, I'm curious to read how that Val ends up being baby Val again.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by zlbenson View Post
    I'm curious to read how that Val ends up being baby Val again.
    The scene itself is surreal to say the least, because it just came out of the blue without any foreshadowing that I recognized whatsoever.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The scene itself is surreal to say the least, because it just came out of the blue without any foreshadowing that I recognized whatsoever.
    haha right on. I have the gist of it, because of course I've read the wiki page at some point, but that's just the broad strokes I don't really know how it all comes together.

One nice thing about only being on the F4 bandwagon for the last 4 or so years, is that there is so much I still get read for the first time. Similar to when you finally discover a band that has a deep catalog! It's such a treat!

I also grabbed Essential F4 volume 7 (and Doc Strange Essential Vol 2) so that's sitting on my to-read pile.