Page 13 of 287 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zlbenson View Post
    haha right on. I have the gist of it, because of course I've read the wiki page at some point, but that's just the broad strokes I don't really know how it all comes together.

One nice thing about only being on the F4 bandwagon for the last 4 or so years, is that there is so much I still get read for the first time. Similar to when you finally discover a band that has a deep catalog! It's such a treat!

I also grabbed Essential F4 volume 7 (and Doc Strange Essential Vol 2) so that's sitting on my to-read pile.
    I like that attitude. So many people these days don't see a long history as a good thing. The fun part is reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I like that attitude. So many people these days don't see a long history as a good thing. The fun part is reading it.
    I can see how it can be somewhat daunting to start, that's why I don't begrudge these companies all their #1's and jumping on points. But yea once something grabs ya and you develop a fondness for a particular character its fun to have a library to go back to. In-continuity or not, doesn't matter to me as much, as long as characterization is recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Miss Fantastic, This Post is why you are such a Great Poster, Especially for the FF, you get into detail and the heart of the FF and the Mythos very well and Greatly Appropriate to a Great extent, it is an Honor to Know how much you loved the art their, Very Glad I found it indeed! :-)
    *feels quite highly honored* Well, thank you CJ! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Thanks for the input, both of you. :-) I hope I can still find the omnibus locally.
    You're most welcome, Rozen! :-) And if you can't find it locally (I hope you do), then try my earlier suggestion of getting the first Byrne FF Omnibus from the Amazon Marketplace. Even if you don't have Prime and can find an Amazon fulfillment seller, you only pay $4 shipping, when I think is not bad for an uber-collective and weighty volume.

Quote Originally Posted by zlbenson View Post
    One nice thing about only being on the F4 bandwagon for the last 4 or so years, is that there is so much I still get read for the first time. Similar to when you finally discover a band that has a deep catalog! It's such a treat!

I also grabbed Essential F4 volume 7 (and Doc Strange Essential Vol 2) so that's sitting on my to-read pile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Thee and me, Pat...I don't understand nor care for the mentality of 'Nothing is sacred...especially if it's too old!!' that is even more prevalent now than it ever was beforehand. It's one of THE reasons I believe entertainment in general, not just comic publishing, to be in such dire straits lately...in cinema alone, seemingly everything is a sequel or especially remake/supposed 'improvement' on a 'too old' franchise.

But readers/fans like ZL make me that much more slightly optimistic for the world and the FF still thriving in it...as do outfits like TwoMorrows Publishing, who do their darndest to keep the memory of Jack Kirby alive and well. I say that because I very recently bought a quite nifty book called Lee and Kirby: The Wonder Years from TwoMorrows (as well as the 'Part Two' accompaniment, The Jack Kirby Collector #60), which focuses on the rise and fall of The Man and The King's working relationship throughout the course of their legendary FF run. I wholeheartedly recommend both to any and everyone wanting to delve into the history of the FF that goes beyond the comics.

Both the book and magazine also celebrate the FF's 50th Anniversary. The 40th Anniversary offering, TJKC #33, is also highly recommended as well.

And the cool thing about TwoMorrows is when you order from them, they give you a free digital copy in addition to the print, making it so if you want to frame the magazines to show off the always awesome wraparound covers, you can just like I've done with mine. 8)
    Last edited by Maven; 06-02-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Good Day Miss Fantastic, hey I had 2 questions:

1.) Are you Reading the Current FF series that is out Right Now and if so are you Enjoying it?

2.) I have had it on my Pull List at My Local Comic Shop since it came out and have been catching up with it recently, fell behind on reading it, so I wanted to post my reviews of each issue, was wondering if it was ok I post my Reviews here Miss Fantastic, Like to Share my Views if that is ok and think of no place better then here?
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Good Day Miss Fantastic :-), hey I had 2 questions:

1.) Are you Reading the Current FF series that is out Right Now and if so are you Enjoying it?
    *sighs* I was afraid I would be asked this... *sighs again*

No, I'm sorry to say that I am not reading the current FF and I'm waiting for the TPB because I honestly find it too depressing and blasphemous...too much focus on everyone BUT the FF, and when the focus is amazingly on the FF, it's just woe after woe after woe...even if someone is pulling the strings behind those woes.

[POTENTIAL SPOILER?]I actually like and subscribe to the suggestion that it is quite possibly the Mad Thinker, as I've read elsewhere...when he is not playing with androids, he most certainly has the penchant for calculated events.[/POTENTIAL SPOILER?]

I don't know what is more glaring...those damned red uniforms (blue is and should have been the FF's only color) or everybody but the FF being in the limelight. I fear the title in its current state will remain unreadable for this Fantastic as long as at least Valeria and the Future Foundation remain unobliterated. That's right, I want them gone, and have for sometime (in Val-Ware's case, since her very genesis in 1999, as a matter of fact...maybe that's what Prince was singing about...).

For the record, speaking of said bugbears, I don't completely outright hate Hickman's run...I LOVE how he wrote Reed (I say it A LOT...the most positive spotlight Reed has easily seen since the Byrne run) and invented the Interdimensional Council of Reeds. Which in turn inspired me to call my collective group of individual Reed toys my Desktop Council of Reeds. Here's the latest incarnation, now with a bobblehead lovingly given to me by my boyfriend and Indiana Jones (or Idaho Smith, as he's called in 616)-esque decoration I thought made a nice touch.

But just about everything else in Hickman's FF world I can't help but play the "I reject your reality and substitute my own." card as much as I do with just about all creative runs since the much too short-lived Lobdell/Davis run...ESPECIALLY Millar and Fraction. My complete judgement of Robinson's FF (NOT Robinson himself...as I've said before, I like the dude in all of his coolness and niceness, and he is an utter joy to follow on Facebook) is on reserve until the end of the current arc. But very obviously, I have not been super thrilled, to say the very least, of what I've witnessed thus far.

2.) I have had it on my Pull List at My Local Comic Shop since it came out and have been catching up with it recently, fell behind on reading it, so I wanted to post my reviews of each issue, was wondering if it was ok I post my Reviews here Miss Fantastic, Like to Share my Views if that is ok and think of no place better then here?
    But regardless of my opinion, however 'minority' it may be (What can I say? It's lonely at the top...), you certainly have every right and some to post your reviews here, CJ.
    Last edited by Maven; 06-02-2014 at 10:51 AM.

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

If it makes you feel better Miss F, I'm tradewaiting the book too. I like the FF, I think they're alright. I trade wait everything these days due to decompression and price. I don't mind the decompression as much as I do the price. I can't afford $3.99 for a single when there are at least 6 marvel books I want to try, FF, New Warriors, Invaders, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel (though that's 2.99) and Mighty Avengers. I'd rather buy a trade, even in digital. I feel like i'm getting my money's worth that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    I fear the title in its current state will remain unreadable for this Fantastic as long as at least Valeria and the Future Foundation remain unobliterated. That's right, I want them gone, and have for sometime (in Val-Ware's case, since her very genesis in 1999, as a matter of fact...maybe that's what Prince was singing about...).
    Ha! What you hate, is what I love the most about the current F4! It's all good.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    *sighs* I was afraid I would be asked this... *sighs again*

No, I'm sorry to say that I am not reading the current FF and I'm waiting for the TPB because I honestly find it too depressing and blasphemous...too much focus on everyone BUT the FF, and when the focus is amazingly on the FF, it's just woe after woe after woe...even if someone is pulling the strings behind those woes.

[POTENTIAL SPOILER?]I actually like and subscribe to the suggestion that it is quite possibly the Mad Thinker, as I've read elsewhere...when he is not playing with androids, he most certainly has the penchant for calculated events.[/POTENTIAL SPOILER?]

I don't know what is more glaring...those damned red uniforms (blue is and should have been the FF's only color) or everybody but the FF being in the limelight. I fear the title in its current state will remain unreadable for this Fantastic as long as at least Valeria and the Future Foundation remain unobliterated. That's right, I want them gone, and have for sometime (in Val-Ware's case, since her very genesis in 1999, as a matter of fact...maybe that's what Prince was singing about...).
    1st Off Miss Fantastic I am really sorry I had to make you talk about book you did not want to talk about.

I was mainly curious on your points of view on the story and did not know if you had started reading or not or where not reading at all. Thanks for your views and opinions on why you are not into the book and why you are not happy with it, trust me when I say I know how you feel and indeed been where you have been and still somethings go their as well with certain stories published. No fan should have to read or enjoy a book about their team if they do not like the book, for whatever reasons they don't, so indeed you have full right and support in not liking what you don't my dear, thank you for your honest opinion.

I hope GREATLY for the Best in better FF incarnations in the future for you and hope things get better for you as a True Blooded FF Fan Indeed.

Again, I am sorry to cause you discomfort, was not my intention, Hope Better books indeed come along.

But regardless of my opinion, however 'minority' it may be (What can I say? It's lonely at the top...), you certainly have every right and some to post your reviews here, CJ.
    No Opinion is a Minority and indeed you have FULL RIGHT to it my dear, thank you for it.

I will be rethinking about the Reviews, honestly I have been finding Many Things that Make me like the FF more and what made me like them in the 1st place, but that is me, not a well versed in FF lore and history as many here, but I give my best with what I know.

So I will re-think about reviews or not, but know that I will show what good I see in the book coming out of FF.

I consider how Huckman writes Reed one of the highlights of what I've read so far, too. Sure, it can be fun to pick on the negative and more unfortunate parts of his character, but few actually take the time to explore and put him in a positive and human light. Thankfully, Hickman is one of those writers. Can't wait to see the Council of Reeds!

I also have my issues with James Robinson's run, but I don't know how it compares to Fraction's handling (I never read it), so I can't compare. Still, it's a decent read and it's starting to pick up for me, even if the dynamics are a bit tired. I'm glad I'm also not alone in thinking that the red costumes are a total eyesore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I consider how Huckman writes Reed one of the highlights of what I've read so far, too. Sure, it can be fun to pick on the negative and more unfortunate parts of his character, but few actually take the time to explore and put him in a positive and human light. Thankfully, Hickman is one of those writers. Can't wait to see the Council of Reeds!

I also have my issues with James Robinson's run, but I don't know how it compares to Fraction's handling (I never read it), so I can't compare. Still, it's a decent read and it's starting to pick up for me, even if the dynamics are a bit tired. I'm glad I'm also not alone in thinking that the red costumes are a total eyesore.
    I think Reed a favorite of Hickman and it shows in his run. And yes, on the positive and human light. That's exactly what Hickman does for Reed. The Council of Reeds is pretty amazing ... and scary. LOL!

I'm still wondering WHY we haven't gotten any inkling about the red costumes. I know it's coming, but we're five issues in and it's starting to feel like that tiny pebble in your shoe that is becoming more and more noticeable... or irritating.

BANNED

I managed to play hooky from the yard work this evening and went to 2nd and Charles, a sort of used book store chain. I saw these and grabbed them! They actually have different images (mostly) on the cards, including panels and classic covers. And the only other character than the FF, is Doctor Doom! Well worth the $6.

I have those cards! Got them off eBay for about $7 (did a dollar better than me) just before Christmas last year. Particularly love how A LOT of the art used on the cards, not all but a lot, is Jack Kirby. Although I think Doom should have been utilized on the joker cards instead of a few of the regular 52.

Was browsing around on the John Byrne Draws Tumblr, as I like to do every now and then, and happened upon the following, which was done sometime during this year.

Between this and other FF commissions of Byrne's throughout the last decade, I do believe he still has a bit of a FF spark in him.

BANNED

On the old thread, Miss Fantastic posted a picture of Fantastic Four Chronicles, which I had never known about before. I recently was able to get a copy for myself, and
    just browsing through it, appears to have a lot of interesting articles, story summaries, character profiles, and all that other cool **** that makes the stories and characters
    seem more real. Unfortunately, it was printed in 1982 and there has never been a follow-up, but it's worth getting if you like in depth information. I also discovered that Fantastic
    Four is just one of five of these Chronicles. There are also ones for Avengers, Daredevil, Spider-Man, & X-Men. Mycomicshop.com has them in stock if anybody is interested, under
    "Fantaco's Chronicles" 1-5.
    th.jpg

Yes, indeed, I did once mention the OUTSTANDING Fantastic Four Chronicles...and here's a deservedly bigger version of that gorgeous Byrne painted/illustrated cover (as well as a story that should have been told).

And I still wholeheartedly second Pat's recommendation...that, Lee and Kirby: The Wonder Years, and Comic Creators On FF are the three books any and all FF FANtastics should get to delve into the history side of the team and their title.

BANNED

I want those cards so bad!!!