Page 43 of 287 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    With Reed, Sue, and Victor being such major players in Secret Wars and most probably intimately involved in the series conclusion, I'm not surprised that Marvel hasn't leaked any clues regarding post SW statuses for them.
    If it were just Doom then I wouldn't be surprised. It would be a major spoiler to reveal his status quo before SW #8 had hit the stands. We have been told that our Sue (I prefer that to saying 616 Sue) died during the last incursion. Reed's fate is up in the air at the point also. It would be a shame if Marvel dumped its most famous couple and one of if not the longest marriage in comics.

But Ben and Johnny are both restored so it seems in October. There current status in SW I think must be that they are dead or presumed missing. The Johnny that is the sun is the brother of royal consort Sue. Ben spoilers:
    is part of The Shield and he even has dialogue in Siege #1. But is this our Ben? not sure about that one just yet.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    If it were just Doom then I wouldn't be surprised. It would be a major spoiler to reveal his status quo before SW #8 had hit the stands. We have been told that our Sue (I prefer that to saying 616 Sue) died during the last incursion. Reed's fate is up in the air at the point also. It would be a shame if Marvel dumped its most famous couple and one of if not the longest marriage in comics.

But Ben and Johnny are both restored so it seems in October. There current status in SW I think must be that they are dead or presumed missing. The Johnny that is the sun is the brother of royal consort Sue. Ben
    The way I'm looking at SW is: if it's not Doom, Strange, or an occupant of the life raft or the cabal's ship, then they're a Doom-made dupe. We know Dr Strange has a book post-SW so his "death" in the last issue is either false, going to be reversed, or is meaningless. The big conflict between Reed and Victor (we know mini-reed's going to have his rubber butt handed to him by Squirrel Girl) and Sue and the kids are playing a part in that, if only inspirationally. What the conclusion actually means is something I don't know. Obviously Miami, Latveria, Madripoor, San Francisco, and other locations and over 7 BILLION people are being resurrected. I'm not sure any of the originals make it out of SW alive, although I am speculating that Dawn Greenwood will be the new Galactus.

It's the FF, for crying out loud! They restarted it once, they'll be at the forefront of restarting it again.

Excelsior!

'nuff said.

Amazing Member

The way I'm looking at SW is: if it's not Doom, Strange, or an occupant of the life raft or the cabal's ship, then they're a Doom-made dupe. We know Dr Strange has a book post-SW so his "death" in the last issue is either false, going to be reversed, or is meaningless. The big conflict between Reed and Victor (we know mini-reed's going to have his rubber butt handed to him by Squirrel Girl) and Sue and the kids are playing a part in that, if only inspirationally. What the conclusion actually means is something I don't know. Obviously Miami, Latveria, Madripoor, San Francisco, and other locations and over 7 BILLION people are being resurrected. I'm not sure any of the originals make it out of SW alive, although I am speculating that Dawn Greenwood will be the new Galactus.

It's the FF, for crying out loud! They restarted it once, they'll be at the forefront of restarting it again.

Excelsior!

'nuff said.
    If only that were actually true. Yes, perhaps at some point down the road the FF may be started up again, but it seems like their value as the premier or "first family" of Marvel, or the idea of their comic being anything approaching "the World's Greatest Comic Magazine" has degraded severely.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmhaight View Post
    If only that were actually true. Yes, perhaps at some point down the road the FF may be started up again, but it seems like their value as the premier or "first family" of Marvel, or the idea of their comic being anything approaching "the World's Greatest Comic Magazine" has degraded severely.
    I agree with this assessment. But I think its clear that there can be stories that people will buy. Secret Wars IS the continuation of the FF comic and New Avengers was basically an extension. So my guess is they don't want the FF to be a "family" per se. I think they will create a new "4". And they don't wanna spoil the surprise since the FF is pretty integral to the end of Secret Wars.

All-New Member

I am missing the Fantastic Four. But the characters have been old-fashioned for me. Why does Reed have to be drawn so old, yet Sue and Johnny so young, in comparison?

I started reading this magazine with issue 183, early 1977. It was a George Perez penciled issue and he remains to be one of my favorite artists today. I was 12 years old (yeah, I'm 51.). I remember also getting Marvel's Greatest Comics and wondering why there were two storylines going on. I didn't understand a lot about comics back then. I couldn't get on the internet and read up on wikipedia articles. The library had some trade books so that helped me figure some things out. I was bothered when the storyline back then had Reed Richards losing his powers and then the Fantastic Four breaking up by issue 191. I mean, I just started figuring out these characters, bought a subscription, and Marvel is tearing it all up on me!

Well issue 200 came in my mailbox and Reed Richards and Doctor Doom had the ultimate slug-fest. Secret Wars #9 had a great slug-fest too, but issue 200 was the ultimate for a 13 boy in rural Indiana. Comics sold for 35 cents back then but this issue was special and the 60 cent cost told you that! At the end of the battle, just Reed and Victor Von Doom, the mask is removed and Dr. Doom is driven insane.

Herbie the Robot came into the storyline, and popped in and out from time to time, John Byrne experimented with.various inkng methods and tried lettering as well. (Ugh). But his stories and art brought some real jewels to my mailbox every month. And, yes, issue 236 is a classic, though the heavy inking is a bit disappointing.

As I grew older, I continued my subscription and even picked up quite a few back issues. I don't have issues 1 through 5, but maybe someday I will have the entire run. The Jim Lee/Brandon Choi issues were quite spectacular. Sometimes I wish they could have just continued with that storyline. But Chris Claremont was hard for me to read. It just didn't seem like the characters I knew. It just seemed all so foreign to me.

There have been a few dry periods. Spances where simple stories were written with artists with mediocre talent took me for a right, testing my determination and patience. But I hung in there.

I must admit that I was thoroughly confused with the recent James Robinson/Leonard Kirk run. It.was never clear if it was before or after what Hickman was doing in the Avengers titles, and it couldn't be concurrent. And all the recent costume changes.... It made no sense,

Jonathan Hickman took us to a conclusion with epic stories and an awe-inspiring Secret Wars conclusion. I wish Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm could have been more meaningful. Throwing Johnny Storm as a sun was interesting, but went nowhere. And Ben Grimm as the Shield.... I don't know. I suppose they weren't even Earth 616 characters anyway.

I'll miss the Fantastic Four as a magazine. After all, it as been with me since I was 12. I realize it has grown tired in some ways and new readers aren't "engaging" with it anymore. Peter Parker/Spiderman isnt so much your neighborhood type anymore...isnt he in China now? Bruce Banner is in limbo more or less. The X-men from the 1960 s are here again, but theIr connection with the 60s is non-existent. Anyway, time moves us on.

But I still miss them.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsmithind View Post
    I am missing the Fantastic Four. But the characters have been old-fashioned for me. Why does Reed have to be drawn so old, yet Sue and Johnny so young, in comparison?

I started reading this magazine with issue 183, early 1977. It was a George Perez penciled issue and he remains to be one of my favorite artists today. I was 12 years old (yeah, I'm 51.). I remember also getting Marvel's Greatest Comics and wondering why there were two storylines going on. I didn't understand a lot about comics back then. I couldn't get on the internet and read up on wikipedia articles. The library had some trade books so that helped me figure some things out. I was bothered when the storyline back then had Reed Richards losing his powers and then the Fantastic Four breaking up by issue 191. I mean, I just started figuring out these characters, bought a subscription, and Marvel is tearing it all up on me!

Well issue 200 came in my mailbox and Reed Richards and Doctor Doom had the ultimate slug-fest. Secret Wars #9 had a great slug-fest too, but issue 200 was the ultimate for a 13 boy in rural Indiana. Comics sold for 35 cents back then but this issue was special and the 60 cent cost told you that! At the end of the battle, just Reed and Victor Von Doom, the mask is removed and Dr. Doom is driven insane.

Herbie the Robot came into the storyline, and popped in and out from time to time, John Byrne experimented with.various inkng methods and tried lettering as well. (Ugh). But his stories and art brought some real jewels to my mailbox every month. And, yes, issue 236 is a classic, though the heavy inking is a bit disappointing.

As I grew older, I continued my subscription and even picked up quite a few back issues. I don't have issues 1 through 5, but maybe someday I will have the entire run. The Jim Lee/Brandon Choi issues were quite spectacular. Sometimes I wish they could have just continued with that storyline. But Chris Claremont was hard for me to read. It just didn't seem like the characters I knew. It just seemed all so foreign to me.

There have been a few dry periods. Spances where simple stories were written with artists with mediocre talent took me for a right, testing my determination and patience. But I hung in there.

I must admit that I was thoroughly confused with the recent James Robinson/Leonard Kirk run. It.was never clear if it was before or after what Hickman was doing in the Avengers titles, and it couldn't be concurrent. And all the recent costume changes.... It made no sense,

Jonathan Hickman took us to a conclusion with epic stories and an awe-inspiring Secret Wars conclusion. I wish Johnny Storm and Ben Grimm could have been more meaningful. Throwing Johnny Storm as a sun was interesting, but went nowhere. And Ben Grimm as the Shield.... I don't know. I suppose they weren't even Earth 616 characters anyway.

I'll miss the Fantastic Four as a magazine. After all, it as been with me since I was 12. I realize it has grown tired in some ways and new readers aren't "engaging" with it anymore. Peter Parker/Spiderman isnt so much your neighborhood type anymore...isnt he in China now? Bruce Banner is in limbo more or less. The X-men from the 1960 s are here again, but theIr connection with the 60s is non-existent. Anyway, time moves us on.

But I still miss them.
    Thank you T-Smith for your post... I am not your age but I started reading FF a few years ago (the 20 cent ones) and moved on from there.

I have collected both omnibus' and have numerous FF issues #30 to #100... I love the FF and I can see why the bashful blue-eyed Thing was a fan favorite at the time. I not only love reading the older comics but I love the ads, the letters pages, the art, and the veeeeeerrrrrryyyyy long stories! People sure got a lot for their money.

I envy you being there at that time reading it all "New" as a kid... Don't worry though, I believe that the FF will come back someday stronger and as great as ever!!!!

Here's to your memories:

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Oh yes, good old George Perez, one of Marvel's greatest artists and possibly even as good as the legendary Jack "King" Kirby!

Not to malign Perez (or Kirby, or Buscema, etc.) but when it came to FF art, Joltin' Joe Sinnott was the man.

Correction, Joltin' Joe Sinnott IS the man.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmithind View Post

But I still miss them.
    Wish I could've grown up in you're time period!

I'm currently 19 and I first got into comics around 13. I tried reading current issues for a few years, but I had to stop. They just don't have the fun, feel good vibe of the classic back issues.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Correction, Joltin' Joe Sinnott IS the man.
    Byrne is the man!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Just the thread I was looking for.

The Fantastic Four are my favorite team and comic book in general, the few titles I'll stick with till the end.
    Currently re-reading Byrne's run and loving Robinson's.
    Not much else to say... for now at least.
    FANTASTIC run IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I LOVED Marvel Two In One back in the day. I think that's out in Marvel Masterworks ... I should look into that.

I've been enjoying Robinson and Kirk on Fantastic Four so far. I hope they both stay for a long run.

The Omnibus have their pluses and minus. They ARE heavy, and not scan friendly at all. But BIG pictures. Plus some of them have been re-mastered. I'll have to see if I can find that post where someone compared the MMW and the Omnibus.
    I did as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I said it in the old forum and i'll say it again.Fantastic Four is the heart and the genesis of MU and probably the best Lee work along with Spider-Man.
    Hear, hear!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Art wise,Kirby is so distinctive and unique,but i feel his art is amazing in titles like Thor or Fourth World,stories that have that cosmic weirdness.But for Stan's writing,i feel that FF are his magnum opus.
    Totally agree!