Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by billabonghotrod View Post
    I'm fully digital for all my monthlies and I enjoy it much more than owning a bunch of floppies. I use the samsung galaxy 12.2 tablet (which is bigger than a single issue and slightly smaller than an ohc) and the sony tap 20 aio (which is bigger than an absolute edition).
    WhoawhoaWHOA.

I am technologically behind because I had no idea they made e-readers/tablets as big as actual comics and OHCs.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I've been reading comics off my tablet for years. I still prefer an actual book, so I collect a lot of trades rather than singles. Plus trades and hardcovers look better on a shelf.

Spectacular Member

--I know some of you make money off of your variants, but the vast majority of modern comics have little to no resell value--so if your argument against digital is so you can make some money later, that's a best spurious.

--For me, the sheer volume of a thirty year collection is overwhelming. I certainly don't want it get bigger. I never learned how to prune my collection. I sometimes daydream about matches and lighter fluid.

--I still love oversized collections and hardcovers in general. But it'd be nice to stop getting floppies and maybe even trade paperbacks. Far less double dipping. And the end of having to organize my collection and spending tow hours to find what I am looking for.
    trying to be nicer

Hey, what part of Portugal are you from? Mainland or Islands? I myself come from Açores

Anyways, onto the actual topic I can't really read comics off a tablet , phone or PC. I mean , I could but it just isn't the same experience. I like having an actual collection , something to keep and put on a shelf that looks nice. It's the same thing with games for me, I can't go entirely digital , I can have some that are but everything? Cannot do it. I do understand why its appealing for some though it makes a lot of sense if someone doesn't have room for a big collection and or likes reading laying down, its just easier

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    Hey, what part of Portugal are you from? Mainland or Islands? I myself come from Açores

Anyways, onto the actual topic I can't really read comics off a tablet , phone or PC. I mean , I could but it just isn't the same experience. I like having an actual collection , something to keep and put on a shelf that looks nice. It's the same thing with games for me, I can't go entirely digital , I can have some that are but everything? Cannot do it. I do understand why its appealing for some though it makes a lot of sense if someone doesn't have room for a big collection and or likes reading laying down, its just easier
    There is a certain thrill for me in either finding a book in a store, or finding it online, ordering it, and then waiting for its arrival, that could NEVER be met by simply uploading onto a tablet. I only have a Kindle Fire, but I wasn't aware they have actual tablets as big as OHCs. That actually interests me some.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    --I know some of you make money off of your variants, but the vast majority of modern comics have little to no resell value--so if your argument against digital is so you can make some money later, that's a best spurious.
    That's not the argument at all actually...but if publishers and comic stores switched to digital only, they'd go out of business.
    Last edited by ultimate jezebel; 02-08-2015 at 07:56 AM.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    That's not the argument at all actually...but if publishers and comic stores switched to digital only, they'd go out of business.
    I would be willing to bet the digital sales would fly up. Comics are like crack, fans will do what they have to to get them. The store part of publishers/comic stores would be in trouble though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    Mainland (Porto). I bet comics are even harder to find in Açores!

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    Your logic is backwards.

If you have physical books that you aren't ever going to read, then you can sell them to make some of your money back!

You cannot resell your digital copies. They are not "disposable", because they are tied to your comixology account permanently.

For this reason, the only comics (or any media for that matter) you should buy digitally are those which you want to keep forever, because only then is the lack of resellability not a factor.
    I rarely sell comic books so that's not a big problem for me. I'm selling most of my comics because I don't feel the need to own them anymore, it's a one time thing. I wouldn't want to do it all the time while still collecting.
    That and on the long run Digital comics are arguably cheaper (I mostly buy stuff on sale).

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I would be willing to bet the digital sales would fly up.
    Has any (major) publisher created a book that's digital sales only to test this theory?

If not, methinks it's just not viable. Digital books can be pirated too easily.
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Watching The Wheels wrkngclasshero's Avatar

I read my monthlies exclusively digital. However I will buy a series I like in a collected edition as long as its in an oversized hardcover format or better. I don't do tpbs or even regular sized HCs. It helps in keeping my collection modestly sized.
    "A working class hero is something to be..." - J. Lennon

I don't like digital comics, cause for me... I am in front of some screen enough as it is (computer-tv etc).
    So I'm not going to exchange reading physical comics in a comfy chair to once again some type of screen (computer/ipad).

And I just like the look of pretty hardcovers on the shelves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    Has any (major) publisher created a book that's digital sales only to test this theory?

If not, methinks it's just not viable. Digital books can be pirated too easily.
    All books are easy to pirate. You can download every book DC has ever made and many people have. I've seen scans that are better than the ones sold. I still say if your only option was digital for all comics people who like comics would buy what is the only option. Publishing just 1 or even a few digital only books wouldn't really show anything as the comic buying market would still have hundreds of physical comic options to fill the void.

If/when we get a e-color kindle all my comic buying will be through amazon. Lucky for me my preferred digital dealer is the one that aligned itself with DC(my comic universe of choice). I do think were not to the point where you can drop physical books yet but that time is on it's way.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've seen scans that are better than the ones sold.
    Me too, on software such as ComicRack. On a 24' monitor, two pages can be opened at a time and it's actual comic-book size.

But I still prefer the hard copy.

Besides, I don't see anyone doing figures for digital sales of comics...I'm certain they're just a small fraction of overall sales (excluding the free codes that come with the actual comics).

I buy singles in digital form because I don't like floppies and don't have the room or desire to keep them. I buy the stuff I really like in collected format to have it properly. Digital doesn't compare to reading on paper for the same reason I don't believe there will be a time when comics go all digital.

This stuff is literal art as well as story telling.