Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool I've gone full digital for my comic book needs!

I'll post this here since I find this is the only place on this forum that doesn't have any trolls at all. That and CBR is missing a Comics General SubForum (what's up with that? :O).

This year I've gone full digital for all my reading needs. I've always been more of a reader than a collector, but since January 2007 I've been collecting comics in way or or another and I've amassed a considerable collection.
    Late last year I reached a point where I thought "I can count on both hands the books that I'm really ever going to read again", the truth is that there's just too many comics out there for me to be rereading the same ones again and again. Digital Comics have a disposable feeling to them, you buy them, you read them and you store them somewhere. No more long boxes, no more dusting shelf after shelf and frankly I just don't feel the need to own something I don't use, I've enjoyed (most of) my books and if I ever feel the need to read them again I can always just download them on my local comic book app.

It's also worth to mention that I live in Portugal, comics are a little more expensive and hard to find here, not to mention that with digital comics I can be up to date with monthly issues that I would otherwise only read in trade format or wait 1 month to get from my local comic shop. The price of digital comics (back issues) being substantially cheaper doesn't hurt my decision either.

I've been reading more now that I stopped focusing on collecting, I've been giving a chance to new series and I've actually saved up some nice euros. My next step will be selling my collection while saving about 5-10 collected editions I just can't part with. I plan on doing this with manga too on the long run.

So what about you guys, anyone has ever reach this point in their collecting career? What's your take on all of this?

007 girl.

My take is, I'll never replace actual books with digital versions. I love the look and feel of an actual original comic and want to hold it in my hands.

I do sometimes use digital format to preview a book I'm interested in, then go looking for the actual comics to buy.

I only collect digital versions if that's the only format. Like some of my adult XXX oriented comics - Carey, Queen of Escapology.

I'd rather own 10,000 actual comics or a bookcase full of HCs than a hard drive full of digi-comics...
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Spectacular Member

We have a few trolls here. I give it an honest effort every now and then.

I am happy that you have decided to go digital. It really is the most practical way of reading comics for yourreading enjoyment, as opposed to collecting them. I am in the process of making the leap myself.

What handheld device are you using?
    trying to be nicer

I find the scales tipping ever further towards digital when it comes to monthly issues on my pull. But i doubt ill ever give up collected editions.
    I simply get too much joy out of collecting HCs and having them displayed on a shelf.

I bought a 10" tablet (ezee or something like that) just for reading comics, It does the trick and it cost me less than 100€ so I can't really complaint Dr. Jay!

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I do a lot of digital reading but I buy physical copies of the good stuff and if theres something I know I can get physically I'll usually take a gamble and buy it blind so I can read it fresh in my preferred format.
    Miller was right.

Your logic is backwards.

If you have physical books that you aren't ever going to read, then you can sell them to make some of your money back!

You cannot resell your digital copies. They are not "disposable", because they are tied to your comixology account permanently.

For this reason, the only comics (or any media for that matter) you should buy digitally are those which you want to keep forever, because only then is the lack of resellability not a factor.
    Last edited by canadianaidan64; 02-07-2015 at 07:50 PM.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianaidan64 View Post
    If you have physical books that you aren't ever going to read, then you can sell them to make some of your money back!
    Yep.

I bought Edge of Spider-Verse 2 Variant for just under $225. Resold it today for $320! I made a whopping $95.

Digi-version is worth a couple of lousy bucks.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

Although its cheaper and has so many advantages, I could never go fully digital. I just prefer physical copies, both for reading and shelf display. Plus I always enjoying visiting various shops to hunt down the next book I need in my collection.
    However, I do have a digital account. Every month, Marvel offers some free #1s of various titles,and if I like them...I'll buy the physical trade.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

I ONLY do digital for issues that I cannot locate hard copies of, or if there is a current title I REALLY want to support, I'll buy the digi copy to read immediately, and then pick up my books from my LCS when I have time.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I'm all digital now for my ongoing reading and I love it.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

With all the free codes you get with Marvels $3.99 books I'm kinda in between. I buy physical copies of my own books and then trade for a digital copy of another book.

I do like collecting those big sexy hardcovers but I like to splurge on the odd comixology sale too.

I'm fully digital for all my monthlies and I enjoy it much more than owning a bunch of floppies. I use the samsung galaxy 12.2 tablet (which is bigger than a single issue and slightly smaller than an ohc) and the sony tap 20 aio (which is bigger than an absolute edition).

I get too much joy from paper, from collecting - but I don't rule out digital for trying out something, and I try not to buy too much and I sell or trade or give away stuff I don't think I'll want to reread.

I want to I really do and will pick up trades on my kindle when they are on sale but the back-lit screen is hard to read for long periods of time. I know it's my age and state of my eyes but if e-color ever became a thing like e-ink bam I'd go 100% digital. For books books I always go kindle as the ability to adjust font size is a life saver.

Reading printed comics are just better medically until we get better gear or someone grows me some new eyes.