Page 1 of 113 123451151101 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default A-FORCE... To Be Reckoned With... Appreciation/Celebration!!

WOW! If it wasn't already, it most definitely is NOW... OFFICIAL, that is, I'll be returning to my not-so-LCS after YEARS of... NOT doing so, due to lack of interest... compelling me to. I have been getting digital pretty regularly for a while though, mind you, mostly ANXF... and an occasional ANXM or UA. But thanks to the announcements of my girl Lorna joining her daddy's book — Cullen Bunn's well-received & much acclaimed Magneto solo, #17 in April and then #18+ starting in May for SW, under the "Last Days" banner — and then DC's upcoming & VERY promising Black Canary title — debuting in June! — and now THIS:

... well, my prayers have been answered, dreams really do come true, and I'm... IN HEAVEN! This'll be like the golden years for me, I haven't been this stoked in a long, LONG time! What basics we know so far & why I'm SO PUMPED:

Our Creators: Written by G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel, X-Men) and Marguerite Bennett (Angela: Asgard's Assassin) and drawn by Jorge Molina (X-Men)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    For Hero Worship in regard to the writers:

G. Willow Wilson - Known for her works for Vertigo (Cairo, Air, and The Unexpected Volume 2) and DC works (The Outsiders Mini she helped write, as well as the awesome mini for Vixen) and we all know her marvel stuff so that's that. She's also a poet and a prose writer with two books under her belt, along with working for various magazine publications.

Marguerite Bennett - A new voice in comics. She was a student under Scott Snyder (I believe Graduate classes) who eventually came into comics via working with him on some material for DC. She's written for DC exclusively so far in her comics area (A special Lois Lane issue of Superman, Injustice issues, Talon issues, Earth 2: Worlds End, Lobo and Batgirl.) I'm not sure about her short stories or prose work as, again she's really new to the whole writers scene.
    Our Known, Initial... Main Characters:
    She-Hulk (Avengers/F4 association; Strength representation)
    Dazzler (X-Men association; Energy representation)
    Medusa (Inhumans association; Enhanced representation)
    Nico Minoru (Runaways association; Magical representation)
    Singularity (Cosmic association; Nexus representation)

Rogue, Storm, & Wasp?

• Marvel’s Mightiest Women finally get their own explosive series!
    • In a secluded corner of the Battleworld, an island nation is fiercely protected by a team of Avengers the likes of which has only ever been glimpsed before…
    • Fighting to protect the small sliver of their world that’s left, the Amazing A-FORCE stands shoulder-to-shoulder, ready to take on the horde!
    The Premise, from USA Today: Female Avengers team comes to the fore with 'A-Force':
    • In Arcadia — what Wilson describes as "this feminist paradise" — a familiar threat to Marvel fans arises again and because of it, the new team of A-Force is formed to be the superhero standard bearer.
    • They... had a mandate to create a new character, and Wilson came up with Singularity. Instead of being a flesh-and-blood human, she's actually a cosmological event — according to Wilson, she is a pocket universe that gained self-consciousness during the radical upheaval of Secret Wars. ... She also doesn't have any real gender, yet Singularity chooses to be female. ... With her Wilson says they want to "strip it all the way down to the basics: What does it mean to be a woman and what would that look like to somebody who was learning about the human race as an outsider and is learning about what it means to have relationships with other people." ... In addition to giving her a "very cool power set," Wilson designed her to be an Avenger while also being, in effect, Avengers Mansion: Singularity can act as "a whole world within herself and she can also move between different worlds and dimensions like taking a walk," the writer says, "so she has access to all corners of the Marvel U in a way that other characters do not."
    • In picking the mainstays for the team, though, Wilson went for a little bit of everything choosing favorites of hers and other fans as well as anchors of different parts of the Marvel Universe. She-Hulk is an iconic stalwart who's been on the Avengers and Fantastic Four at various times, Medusa is the queen of the Inhumans, Dazzler is "everybody's favorite disco girl" from the X-Men and Nico Minoru was the resident witch of the Runaways. ... "This is an opportunity to put people who would normally have no reason to interact with each other on one team," Wilson says. ... She also looked for a wide range of abilities, unlike her current X-Men team where all of them are telepaths. ... Not only did she prefer characters who looked interesting on the page, Wilson says, "I want people whose power sets really build on each other so that there are specific limitations that can only become overcome by working together. Nobody's so overpowered that it gets boring and nobody's so underpowered that they have to be saved all the time. I wanted a balance visually and practically." ... What's also going to be interesting is working out the power structure of the group, Wilson adds. "You have several people on it who are used to being either they're own bosses or in a leadership position, and all of a sudden they're together."
    Other Articles:
    • Time: Why Marvel Decided to Create an All-Female Superhero Team
    • BuzzFeed: Women Are Taking Over Marvel One Comic Book At A Time
    • CBR: Bennett Assembles Battleworld's Mightiest Heroes In A-Force
    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Of Note, from CBR's Axel-In-Charge: The End of The Bendis "X-Men" Era, The Arrival of "A-Force":
    Finally, today's announcement of "A-Force" certainly has a lot of people very excited. We've talked a lot in the past about increasing representation at Marvel of both female characters and creators -- how major of a step do you view "A-Force" in that larger movement? And just to clarify: Will this be "the" Avengers book during the course of "Secret Wars," and is this the G. Willow Wilson-developed project that was teased back in December with the news that she was now exclusive with Marvel?

Alonso: Yes, during the course of "Secret Wars" and beyond. And yes, "A-Force" is what we were alluding to back in December. This plan has been hatching for some time. We are… I am very excited.
    And from CBR: Marvel Announces Female-Led "A-Force" from Wilson, Bennett, Molina:
    Heading up the lineup will be She-Hulk, Dazzler, Medusa, Nico Minoru, a "cosmically powered" new hero named Singularity as well as other heroes yet to be revealed. ... “We've purposefully assembled a team composed of very different characters -- from disparate parts of the Marvel U, with very different power sets, identities and ideologies," said Wilson in the announcement. "They'll all have to come together to answer some big questions: What would you sacrifice to succeed? What is being a hero worth?”

Discuss, contribute, & SPECULATE — LET the PRAISE BEGIN!!!!

Last edited by Heroine Addict; 03-07-2015 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Revise & Update #1

BANNED

Arcadia: #35, an island Domain in the Southeastern corner section of the SW Battleworld map

Arcadia, the dominion of Battleworld’s mightiest heroines! Enter a land only populated by the women who have earned the title of protector, savior and Super Hero. These are the champions of Battleworld who refuse to bow down to oppression and who will always stand against the forces of evil.
    Surrounded by:

In the West: #'s 25 - Valley of Flame, Where Monsters Dwell (the map shows Devil Dinosaur); 26 - The Hydra Empire, TBA; 28 - Hala Field, Captain Marvel
    To the North: #'s 27 - 2099, Marvel 2099; 36 - Bar Sinister, TBA
    Off to the East: #'s 31 - The Wastelands, Wolverine: Old Man Logan; 37 - Limbo, X-Men: Inferno
    And down South: #'s 38 - The Deadlands, Marvel Zombies; 40 - New Xandar, The Infinity Gauntlet; 41 - The Shield, TBA

Arcadia:
    • A mountainous district in the Peloponnese of southern Greece. In poetic fantasy it represents a pastoral paradise, and in Greek mythology it is the home of Pan.
    • It takes its name from the mythological character Arcas. In Greek mythology, it was the home of the god Pan. In European Renaissance arts, Arcadia was celebrated as an unspoiled, harmonious wilderness.

Pan:
    • In Greek religion and mythology, Pan is the god of the wild, shepherds and flocks, nature of mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music, and companion of the nymphs.
    • He has the hindquarters, legs, and horns of a goat, in the same manner as a faun or satyr.
    • He is also recognized as the god of fields, groves, and wooded glens; because of this, Pan is connected to fertility and the season of spring.

Nymphs:
    • A nymph in Greek mythology and in Latin mythology is a minor female nature deity typically associated with a particular location or landform.
    • Different from goddesses, nymphs are generally regarded as divine spirits who animate nature, and are usually depicted as beautiful, young nubile maidens who love to dance and sing; their amorous freedom sets them apart from the restricted and chaste wives and daughters of the Greek polis.
    • Although they would never die of old age nor illness, and could give birth to fully immortal children if mated to a god, they themselves were not necessarily immortal, and could be beholden to death in various forms.

Wikipedia Links to: Arcadia, Pan, & the Nymphs

Miscellaneous Musings & Random Ramblings: A Collection of Thoughts, Theories, Questions, & hopefully... eventually... Answers!
    Coming soon.

Last edited by Heroine Addict; 03-07-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Revise & Update #1

BANNED

Other Heroines (shown in the Jim Cheung cover for the first issue, but not the variant by Russell Dauterman): Jean Grey/Phoenix, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Spider-Woman, Elektra, Rescue, Spider-Gwen, Moondragon, Snowbird, Pixie, Aurora, Spectrum, Hellcat, Firestar, Vindicator, Jubilee, & Karolina Dean

And using this as a guide: Comic Vine: Marvel's Female Characters, Sorted by Number of Appearances...

MIA Heroines
    (so far): Invisible Woman, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, Mary Jane, Mystique, Polaris, Magik, Wolfsbane, Rachel Grey, Moonstar, Domino, Moira MacTaggert, Boom-Boom, Siryn, The Cuckoos, X-23, Husk, Karma, Magma, M, Armor, Valerie Cooper, Crystal, Sage, Surge, Dust, Betty Ross/Red She-Hulk, Mockingbird, Tigra, Maria Hill, Mercury, Black Cat, Valkyrie, Meggan, Sif, Marrow, Moonstone, Frenzy, Sharon Carter, Danger, Hepzibah, Lady Deathstrike, Enchantress, Dagger, Blink, Misty Knight, Spiral, Bling!, Cecilia Reyes, Skids, Destiny, Namorita, Jessica Jones/Jewel, Songbird, Stature, Clea, Sersi, Jane Foster, Gamora, Shanna, Jocasta, Kate Bishop, Colleen Wing, Hollow, Yukio, Mantis, Diamondback, Sabra, Silver Sable, Namora, Darkstar, Dorma, Agatha Harkness, Spitfire, Molly Hayes, Luna, Quake, Peggy Carter, Firebird, Venus, Hazmat, Shuri, Echo, Squirrel Girl, Angela, Threnody, Phyla-Vell, Jennifer Kale, White Tiger...
    responsarbre... Captain Universe!
    Sutekh... Elsa Bloodstone... Finesse... Thena... Kamala / Ms. Marvel... Miss America Chavez... Anya/Spider-Girl... Julia/Spider-Woman 2... Adept...
    CJStriker... Female Thor...
    Songbird/Diamondback... Sun Girl (Selah Burke)... Hope Summers, Transonic, Julie Power... Ultimate Bombshell too!... Wallflower & Mariko Sunfire... Hummingbird & Water Snake. ... The shape shifting blonde Texas girl from the Order!
    SickAlice... Lyra and Gunna Sijurvald, aka Troll...
    Reviresco... Princess Fen... Betty Dean... Loa (Alani Ryan)... Tamara Rahn... Andromeda... Marrina
    RLAAMJR.... the Dora Milaje
    Ravin' Ray... Hippolyta and Thundra...
    Darkspellmaster... some of the MC 2 girls too please... The twins, American Dream, Spider-girl, oh gosh I can't think of the speedster's name! Her too please!
    Tiamatty... Veil... Silk, Alejandra the female Ghost Rider, Purple Girl (or Persuasion...), Radiance... Ren Kimura... Annabelle Riggs... Frankie Raye Nova... Puck II, Nemesis.
    James Hunter... Arana... Silhouette... Wind Dancer... Iron Cross II... Mania...
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 03-07-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Revise & Update #1

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Anything with She Hulk and Medusa in prominent roles and gets Dazzler and Storm back to looking like they should (plus has a lot of my fav heroines and hopefully more besides) gets my vote.

I really hope Sue is in it, but this does have potential.

She-Hulk possibly leading an Avengers team is enough to have me on board but everything is just extra awesome.

I'm going to get this, BUT HEAR ME MARVEL: Pretty please find a place for Meggan Braddock on this team. She is too awesome to be used as seldom as she is.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

I wonder if Singularity has anything to do with the Black Vortex.

BANNED

By the USA Today article Singularity sorta sounds like a couple of characters we have seen before but never have been used as much. However, the article did at least make curious about the character. At first this was a hard sell for me because the team as a whole didn't draw me in but hearing a little bit more about Singularity I'm at least going to be keeping an eye on the title. Who knows maybe I'll pick up later in the run or in trade.

Thanks for the links Hero Worship.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Hope Captain Universe and Tigra show up!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking Cheers to A-Force and The New Thread!

Since the Announcement of A-Force on February 06, 2015, one of the things that Ran threw my mind was that we are Going to NEED an Appreciation Thread for this team Sooner Rather then Later!

Low and Behold, Hero Worship, You made the Hype and Dream that Came the other Day into CBR Reality! I Give all My Grandest Thanks to You for Starting Up what is Sure to become an Amazing Fan-Base Community that will Form around this Thread, Hero Team, Creative Team and The Book!

The way the thread started out is Really Amazing, I am Impressed by the Level of Detail and Info given by you about the Book already! You Love and Joy for this book really shows my friend. All the Major Articles, the facts to the Arcadia, Pan and Nymphs and all the News Like how book will go with Secret Wars, what the Author wants to get at with the story and the showing of the Book on ABC's The View! Talk about a Read Carpet both for the Intro of this Thread and for the Book in the General Public, Makes me Smile!

A-Force is a Dream Come True Book for me as well, it was one of my 2 Most Hoped Dreams that Marvel would make One Day and It has Come to Pass at a moment I and I believe most others did not see coming or even forget it could Even-Happen. It is indeed a Grand Moment and 02/06/2015 will be a Marked Moment in History already IMO that marks the Start of New, Grand Legend in the Comic Book World!

Congrats and Thank You for Starting This Thread Hero Worship!

BTW, the Name A-Force has Really Grown on me in the last Day, so count me in on Liking the Name! ;-)

Also, Grand and Clever Name Idea for the Thread; A-Force.....To Be Reckoned With! Very Clever My Friend!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

It's a dream come true for me too. I have thought about an all female Avengers lineup. I'm just disappointed I'm not writing it.

But G. Willow Wilson's involved. Even better and I want to read this. Hell, this announcement makes for a great belated birthday gift for me.

Molina is a very slick artist. Should rock!

I want explosions, badassery, snark, and a hyperactive plot with kinetic action. Character choices/actions matter more than talking heads. And I know Wilson and bennet know this.

I am eager to see the approach they take, in terms of spotlight issues, 2 parters, large arcs, etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    I'll wish it well but I won't be buying it. No problem with the characters but I've not read anything by Marguerite Bennett that I've liked & not a fan of Jorge Molina's art.
    No worries, it's all good, we all can't be - and shouldn't have to be - tuned into the same things... variety is the spice of life! And being unfamiliar with Ms. Bennett's work, I'll have to reserve judgement on her skills for now, but... not for much longer, lol. When it comes to the VERY talented - IMO - Mr. Molina however:

... I'd normally just say, let the pictures speak for themselves, but in this case...

... feel the need to add that...

... I think...

... he's perfectly...

... IDEAL!

... for this project.

I love Hickman's run but a lot of it has been no win situations and hero vs hero stuff. This could have a different premise and watching these characters come together could be a much needed breath of fresh air for some readers.

Also I enjoy Molina's work and am really happy to see him doing some high profile work.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider