Page 61 of 113 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I like X-Men X-Pert

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    But just finished reading the latest issue and...spoilers:
    the traitor's Loki isn't it? I mean, she's not in the pile on the last page, it looks like her silhouette on the throne; but I'm willing to bet it's a 'not all it seems' moment and her motives aren't clear-cut. Pretty mundane actually, Medusa going into the power struggle feels like a much more interesting development, I was disappoint that was a bait-and-switch
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I've thought it would be Lady Loki from the very first issue, considering the inciting incident robbed her of Miss America Chavez... losing a child can drive anyone to extreme acts.
    end of spoilers

So... I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd be excited to be right... spoilers:
    Still, she's kind of the really obvious choice, especially now that Medusa's bit the dust.
    end of spoilers
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

I think Loki is kinda too obvious. But she did disappear like, the second the sentinel attacked. Just poof, gone. But it seems weird I still am kind of hoping Loki is just there as a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post

As a major fan of the power couple.
    I love this picture so much. It screams "Time to go to work"

Anyone not use their digital code for this yet? Wanna trade for something I have

BANNED

WOW! LOVED IT!! For me, this series has improved, got more interesting, & come closer to the ideal I first imagined with each consecutive issue!!!

I don't even know where to start, I still have such a high - a EUPHORIA! - from the experience of reading/seeing it late last night. I wanted to post immediately, but was so tired - a lil' buzzed to boot, lol - that I decided to wait. Well, I've now had the chance to savor A-Force #3's CHOICE offerings, and I'm READY... to unleash my unbridled, exuberant enthusiasm, shameless as it may be. OK, here we go...

spoilers:
    ... personally, I didn't have much of a problem with the opening pages, like Tiamatty did. As CJStriker & Fokken pointed out, Jen's inner monologue summarizing the events of #'s 1 & 2, was REALLY tight: "... wizard-staff-up-his-butt vizier..." indeed, lol. The Sentinels are always a nice surprise, as they're worthy - and can even be challenging - cannon fodder, especially in numbers, so I also liked the tussle between Jen & them. The idea that they identified her as a non-mutant, but still designated her as "abnormal" - grrr... - and wanted to apprehend her as a result, was the touch of a deft hand, and much to my liking in particular. Then we get Valkyrie, Sif, & Gamora (in that order, personally, but fond of all), the new Warriors 3, who contrasted nicely & worked perfectly as adversaries & sparring partners for our She-Hulk. Oh Jen, how my heart expands for you with every issue, so glad you kicked their asses before escaping back through the portal. Again, it's the subtle things, like the lil' ribbon Singularity gave S-H still being on her wrist as she elbow-smashes Gamora in the face, and tosses V & Sif 'round like rag dolls. NEXT, it's inside the dimensional gateway, and... the ART! OMG, Jorge you're truly are a delight, and an absolute BOON to this book - don't EVER leave, PLEASE! The panel with the close-up of her eyes, reflecting the distorted, brightly hued, kaleidoscope-like imagery was filled with wonderment & the most brilliant, IMO, but the whole thing was just SO well done.

Now we're back in/on Arcadia, at the "plaza" no less, and here's where my growing admiration for GWW/MB's dialogue & colorful, descriptive flourishes ("... water blue as heartache" anyone?) pops once again. Dazzler's "Could be a temporal shift as well as a spatial tear.", to Nico's "One more time?", followed by Ali's response of "Maybe time passes differently there." was yet another example of their exceptional knack for making characters both endearing & distinctive at the same time. And this was quickly followed up by a touching lil' bit between Medusa & Singularity, rather surprisingly, with another quirky quote from M: "You are a little Magpie, aren't you?" That alone warmed me up to the sometimes icey Queen of the Inhumans, not to mention the smile & lock of hair gifting. But our ladies don't get much time for a reunion, 'cause no sooner does She-Hulk return from the dystopian 616 Manhattan domain, then those 3 crazed, ruthless Thor Corp psychos come followin' right after her and... IT's ON!!

A seeming BETRAYAL, full of awe-inspring combat!... Another noble, heartbreaking sacrifice, this one apparently FATAL!... EVERYBODY's on the run!... Soldiers gather, in preparation for the oncoming battle, and opposing forces start making SERIOUS moves! (WTF they want with WANDA/singling her out for?! - Threat?! - Who's responsible for that?!... Gotta be Doom!)... STORM, in all her goddess glory!... Singularity steps UP, in a wild, wierd, & WONDERFUL way! And all of THAT... were the best, BEST, BEST PARTS!!!
    end of spoilers

... which I'll go into detail on in my next round. Trust me, I'd continue if I could, BUT... after 2 nights of partyin' & about only 8 or 9 out of 60+ hours sleep, I'm just plain EXHAUSTED, and can barely keep my eyes open. Even as hyped as I am to keep at it, I can't fight it much longer, I need SLEEP! I'll be back though, probably tomorrow night, right after I get home from work... to pick up RIGHT where I left off!
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-13-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hero Worship View Post
    WOW! LOVED IT!! For me, this series has improved, got more interesting, & come closer to the ideal I first imagined with each consecutive issue!!!

I don't even know where to start, I still have such a high - a EUPHORIA! - from the experience of reading/seeing it late last night. I wanted to post immediately, but was so tired - a lil' buzzed to boot, lol - that I decided to wait. Well, I've now had the chance to savor A-Force #3's CHOICE offerings, and I'm READY... to unleash my unbridled, exuberant enthusiasm, shameless as it may be. OK, here we go...

spoilers:
    ... personally, I didn't have much of a problem with the opening pages, like Tiamatty did. As CJStriker & Fokken pointed out, Jen's inner monologue summarizing the events of #'s 1 & 2, was REALLY tight: "... wizard-staff-up-his-butt vizier..." indeed, lol. The Sentinels are always a nice surprise, as they're worthy - and can even be challenging - cannon fodder, especially in numbers, so I also liked the tussle between Jen & them. The idea that they identified her as a non-mutant, but still designated her as "abnormal" - grrr... - and wanted to apprehend her as a result, was the touch of a deft hand, and much to my liking in particular. Then we get Valkyrie, Sif, & Gamora (in that order, personally, but fond of all), the new Warriors 3, who contrasted nicely & worked perfectly as adversaries & sparring partners for our She-Hulk. Oh Jen, how my heart expands for you with every issue, so glad you kicked their asses before escaping back through the portal. Again, it's the subtle things, like the lil' ribbon Singularity gave S-H still being on her wrist as she elbow-smashes Gamora in the face, and tosses V & Sif 'round like rag dolls. NEXT, it's inside the dimensional gateway, and... the ART! OMG, Jorge you're truly are a delight, and an absolute BOON to this book - don't EVER leave, PLEASE! The panel with the close-up of her eyes, reflecting the distorted, brightly hued, kaleidoscope-like imagery was filled with wonderment & the most brilliant, IMO, but the whole thing was just SO well done.

Now we're back in/on Arcadia, at the "plaza" no less, and here's where my growing admiration for GWW/MB's dialogue & colorful, descriptive flourishes ("... water blue as heartache" anyone?) pops once again. Dazzler's "Could be a temporal shift as well as a spatial tear.", to Nico's "One more time?", followed by Ali's response of "Maybe time passes differently there." was yet another example of their exceptional knack for making characters both endearing & distinctive at the same time. And this was quickly followed up by a touching lil' bit between Medusa & Singularity, rather surprisingly, with another quirky quote from M: "You are a little Magpie, aren't you?" That alone warmed me up to the sometimes icey Queen of the Inhumans, not to mention the smile & lock of hair gifting. But our ladies don't get much time for a reunion, 'cause no sooner does She-Hulk return from the dystopian 616 Manhattan domain, then those 3 crazed, ruthless Thor Corp psychos come followin' right after her and... IT's ON!!

A seeming BETRAYAL, full of awe-inspring combat!... Another noble, heartbreaking sacrifice, this one apparently FATAL!... EVERYBODY's on the run!... Soldiers gather, in preparation for the oncoming battle, and opposing forces start making SERIOUS moves! (WTF they want with WANDA/singling her out for?! - Threat?! - Who's responsible for that?!... Gotta be Doom!)... STORM, in all her goddess glory!... Singularity steps UP, in a wild, wierd, & WONDERFUL way! And all of THAT... were the best, BEST, BEST PARTS!!!
    end of spoilers

... which I'll go into detail on in my next round. Trust me, I'd continue if I could, BUT... after 2 nights of partyin' & about only 8 or 9 out of 60+ hours sleep, I'm just plain EXHAUSTED, and can barely keep my eyes open. Even as hyped as I am to keep at it, I can't fight it much longer, I need SLEEP! I'll be back though, probably tomorrow night, right after I get home from work... to pick up RIGHT where I left off!
    A VERY, Very, Very Good Breakdown of the Issue Hero Worship, Everything you Said I have the same opinion on with my view and feelings I got from the Issue as well!

The Moments for the cameos where nice to give more of a fleshing out of the World, who is in it and all.

Right now I have been reading as MANY of the Secret Wars books as I can get my hands on and it is near a majority of all the stories I have Read, Barn a few I have not gotten yet. A-Force, without a Doubt, even from the Main Secret Wars, is by Far without a-doubt now in my mine the BEST Secret Wars Book being made during this WHOLE Event! That is saying allot too, so many of the other stories have been Far Greater then I had hoped for, but A-Force right now is in a League of its own! =D

I still have to wait to compare House of M, but until then A-Force wins by a Huge Margin and Honestly this 3rd issue sealed the deal for me.

I like the Fact that you pointed out the Artwork to the Issue, IMO it is the Best Ratio to the Written story molding of any book right now. Each panel gives the best complement to the word bubbles, the story, the emotions of the moment and to the world at large. The art alone gives across emotions with little words needed while past word bubbles set-up perfectly for that moment; case in point the Singularity Hug to Nico, Anyone that has read the book knows the weight of that moment. ;_;

Their is much to say about the book, but it is indeed the little attention to details and moments that really make it shine in a way that makes it more then just a straight on told story, but an experience in itself I only get from Anime in a good comparison. When Singularity was playing with Medusa's Hair is an Excellent Example of this simple moment, but adds SO MUCH Weight to Singularity and her character.

Other small touches, like the Ribbon on She-Hulks wrist had so much weight to it as well, it gave a good serial-feeling of emotion and story telling in just that ribbon alone, that was indeed heavy in such a good way. This book has such a good Anime feel of story to it, that is what makes it stand out IMO. Allot of the Art and Story symbolizes that for me, the Ribbon being a small piece of that Anime feel. It felt like it came right out of a Sailor Moon episode, it was that cool and good of an add on to the story overall!

Overall Awesome, Awesome Book that Feels it the Most Richiness of Story from it Outside of the Main Secret Wars main book. IMO, THIS is Why A-Force will live on in All-New, All Different Marvel! ;-)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I get a feeling that since Stephen Strange had some doing with stuff going down in the main book for SW, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave some magic knowledge inheritely to various, or maybe all, Barons so that they could identify where their border ended and another began. That would explain her knowing the portal is arcadian.
    The thing is, that's the sort of thing that needs to be explained. You can't just have characters figure something out without letting the reader know how. It's possible it'll be explained in an upcoming issue, but as it stands, it's her knowing something just because the plot demands it. And that's lazy writing.

The writing is pretty poor (I'm going to blame Bennett in my brain space. I mean Wilson can be anvilicious, but such random plotting she does not do), but the book is carried by the great cast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I-I just. I just don't understand what creative team in their right mind would refuse to include a cameo from the first female Avenger ever.

Just an effin panel.
    Well, we still have 2 issues to go yet of the SW series, and then there's the ongoing. Don't worry, JANET Van Dyne as Wasp will make an appearance, I'm sure of it. I believe it's not a matter of if, just when. I agree though, the sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    There's:
    spoilers:
    Black Bolt, Kamala Khan, Black Panther (not sure if T'Challa or Shuri), Squirrel Girl and her squirrels, Colossus Thor, Nightcrawler Thor, Emma Frost and Scarlet Witch (together with Black Bolt), and Kate Bishop Hawkeye & Anya Corazon & Spider-Gwen.
    end of spoilers
    Dang! Somehow I missed Doreen & TT, so I'll be on the lookout for them on the next read-through.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Mayhaps it has something to do with her 616 kidnapping/disappearance/lack of reemerging?...
    That's been debunked though. Can't exactly remember if it was Alonso or Brevoort, but they confirmed there's plans for her in the post-SW ANADMU, they just weren't ready to reveal them yet. What remains to be seen though, is if that Wasp will be Janet... and it DAMN WELL BETTER BE!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Saga View Post
    For some reason, I'm enjoying this female ("centric") titles, especially A-Force. Singularity is so cute, you must be dead inside if you do not like her.
    I too, have found my already existing penchant for female characters GREATLY intensifying over the last few years, almost approaching exclusivity to some degree. Probably because even now, I still don't feel that they're treated fairly & with the same regard as their male counterparts. I've ALWAYS found them more interesting though, and the ratio disparity was most likely a factor from the get-go.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-14-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Earth's Mightiest Hero RafDanvers's Avatar

Adam Hughes A-Force #1 hip hop variant! Omg! Carol f*** Danvers queen! Captain Marvel looks fierce!image.jpg
    My heroines: Captain Marvel Psylocke

my pull list: The Mighty Captain Marvel - Ultimates 2 - Uncanny X-Men *I run @captmarvelnews and @psylockenews on Twitter! Join us!

Axel in Charge posted preview of A-Force #4

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Awesome! What costume did Emma wear? Also has Rogue appeared in full yet? You would think she would play a role in this book with all the covers she's been on.
    For Emma, something akin to her classic Hellfire White Queen look. My excitement from seeing her, Wanda, & BB together was probably why I missed Doreen & her squirrel posse getting ready to defend Arcadia against Falcon Thor & Beta Ray Bill, in the panel above. Sadly, no Rogue in full yet, that I recall. But like JVD's Wasp & even my beloved Polaris, I think the odds are in our favor, and they'll all hopefully appear by the end of #5's final battle face off with the:

... ONSLAUGHT of ZOMBIE HORDES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    ... I just want a (Wasp) cameo in A-Force, too much to ask?
    Not at all, but... have FAITH, I'm confident she'll show up... and pray that Lorna will too!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I am dead inside. ...
    You must be! Only a heartless, soulless being couldn't LOVE:

Quote Originally Posted by porcelainfire View Post
    Have they also found out who, if any, of the 616 characters is Singularity? I found it strange they just gave Kitty Pryde these cosmic powers and she looked uncannily like Singularity, just to throw it out for a new character.
    ... I'm thinking it's a new character, just like they've said she is many different times, namely a pocket universe given consciousness who actually has no real gender, but chooses to be female.
    What SLG said.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    Axel in Charge posted preview of A-Force #4
    What a pretty preview!

Gotta say I'm lovin' the art for this series.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    ... But just finished reading the latest issue and...spoilers:
    the traitor's Loki isn't it? I mean, she's not in the pile on the last page, it looks like her silhouette on the throne; but I'm willing to bet it's a 'not all it seems' moment and her motives aren't clear-cut. Pretty mundane actually, Medusa going into the power struggle feels like a much more interesting development, I was disappoint that was a bait-and-switch
    end of spoilers
    Yes, I think she may be the traitor. It would make sense, all things considered, from what we've been shown so far. But as you & others have mentioned, that also makes it fairly predictable. What could come as a surprise though, are her motives. I'd be okay with it I guess, as it would probably be done well, but would prefer something a bit more shocking myself.

Which just might happen, going by that bait&switch from this ish, that you touch upon & felt letdown by. However... I LOVED IT!!! I thought it was a GREAT moment for spoilers:
    Medusa
    end of spoilers, very dramatic, and I TOTALLY fell for it! It was the best part of the whole book for me, I experienced a gamut of palpable, conflicting emotions as it all went down. It made her even more fascinating than I was already finding her, and I was truly, TRULY saddened by her apparent fate. It was a definite instance of, "Awww... REALLY, are you kiddin' me?! That SUCKS!", for me.

spoilers:
    I've thought it would be Lady Loki from the very first issue, considering the inciting incident robbed her of Miss America Chavez... losing a child can drive anyone to extreme acts.
    end of spoilers

So... I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd be excited to be right... spoilers:
    Still, she's kind of the really obvious choice, especially now that Medusa's bit the dust.
    end of spoilers
    Good point about MAC, but what if... she was responsible for THAT too! How awful, cold, & cruel would that be?! But regardless, there is that obvious thing we've ALL voiced concern over, and that's why I think it just may NOT very well happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I think Loki is kinda too obvious. But she did disappear like, the second the sentinel attacked. Just poof, gone. But it seems weird I still am kind of hoping Loki is just there as a red herring.
    Yeah, 'cause we've suspected it since issue #1, so it'd be pretty anticlimatic if we turned out to be right. And they reinforced it a lil' this ish too, having her idly standing in the window with a look of malicious mischief on her face, as the warning alarms sounded & a flying Cap'n M answering the call of duty was reflectively shown. But IS it all just a ruse, and are we being played?... Only time will tell.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-14-2015 at 05:42 PM.