Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Going back-to-basics with the DC Trinity

DC Comics will be keenly focused on going back-to-basics with its legendary characters, like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, while also reinventing key characters, such as Black Canary, Bizarro, Cyborg and Starfire, with a new contemporary tonality to ensure a diverse offering of titles. Top writers and artists, as well as emerging fresh voices, are on board to help create an expansive lineup of comics that appeals to a broad audience of fans.
    http://www.warnerbros.com/studio/new...us-dc-universe

What does that mean ?

BANNED

Nothing, it's PR talk. All the trinity have the same creative teams as before, save Superman on one of his two books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Nothing, it's PR talk. All the trinity have the same creative teams as before, save Superman on one of his two books.
    On this, we agree. They aren't even changing Superman's costume back, yet they're claiming a "back to basics" approach. Riiiiiight...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by True Herald View Post
    On this, we agree. They aren't even changing Superman's costume back, yet they're claiming a "back to basics" approach. Riiiiiight...
    I can't take anyone who wants Superman's red trunks back seriously

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    I can't take anyone who wants Superman's red trunks back seriously
    Yet you take all the other ridiculous, unbelievable aspects of superheroes seriously. The concept of Superman's red trunks -- based on real life circus strongman trunks, by the way -- are no sillier than a grown man dressing up like a giant Bat and thinking that that's going to scare anyone rather than making them laugh uncontrollably.

Fantastic Member

It's believable, but i just dont like it. Why do you want it? The closest anyone gets is saying that its tradition, and thats not a really good reason.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    It's believable, but i just dont like it. Why do you want it? The closest anyone gets is saying that its tradition, and thats not a really good reason.
    This very press release gives a good reason: Truth in advertising.

Claiming a "back-to-basics" approach to Superman while using a costume that's not "back-to-basics" is misleading, if not an outright lie. I bet that if they were claiming "back-to-basics" while using the Electro-Supes outfit, more people would understand.

BANNED

Just like Nuperman, he's "Ready for the Next Century!"

Radical changes to a well-known character! Now, THAT'S "back-to-basics"! Right??

Yea Yea Yea they say things like this almost every year.

BANNED

They said the same thing when they were doing the actual reboot, and I consider it more back-to-basics to have a Superman more action-focused and pro-active than a "farmboy at heart", dressed in a costume his mother made him.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    They said the same thing when they were doing the actual reboot, and I consider it more back-to-basics to have a Superman more action-focused and pro-active than a "farmboy at heart", dressed in a costume his mother made him.
    But Necromancer, the costume is all a character in comics is. Doesn't matter if his personality is done right or his stories are good, as long as he's not wearing the classic (pukes guts out at uttering that horrid word) costume, than he is and pardon my French here a worthless, pile of s*it.

BANNED

Yet you take all the other ridiculous, unbelievable aspects of superheroes seriously. The concept of Superman's red trunks -- based on real life circus strongman trunks, by the way -- are no sillier than a grown man dressing up like a giant Bat and thinking that that's going to scare anyone rather than making them laugh uncontrollably.
    You don't know what I take seriously
    And I highly doubt anyone would laugh uncontrollably at Batman--especially when he's trained himself to be intimidating. The red trunks served no real purpose besides looking dumb and having a death grip on his crotch. You have 70+ years worth of red trunks, time to get over it pal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    You don't know what I take seriously
    You take superhero comics seriously enough, or you wouldn't be currently participating on a superhero comic book message board. Much less participating in a discussion about Superman's trunks.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Welcome to Wonderland, GrandKaiser. Population: YOU.

And I highly doubt anyone would laugh uncontrollably at Batman--especially when he's trained himself to be intimidating.
    See, there you go, taking superhero comic book concepts seriously. Told you you were "One of us!"

The red trunks served no real purpose besides looking dumb
    No more dumb than giving a character WORLD-RENOWNED for his invulnerability for 7 decades ARMOR, just because Jim Lee can't help but throw a ton of unnecessary lines on an elegantly simple design. "KISS: Keep It SIMPLE, Stupid!"
    Last edited by True Herald; 02-08-2015 at 11:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    But Necromancer, the costume is all a character in comics is. Doesn't matter if his personality is done right or his stories are good, as long as he's not wearing the classic (pukes guts out at uttering that horrid word) costume, than he is and pardon my French here a worthless, pile of s*it.
    The costume is just one example of how the character is not "back-to-basics".

But I'm not surprised that someone sporting a KC Superman avatar isn't concerned about a back-to-basics Superman or his outfit.

BANNED

You take superhero comics seriously enough, or you wouldn't be currently participating on a superhero comic book message board. Much less participating in a discussion about Superman's trunks.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Welcome to Wonderland, GrandKaiser.

See, there you go, taking superhero comic book concepts seriously. Told you you were "One of us!"

No more dumb than giving a character WORLD-RENOWNED for his invulnerability for 7 decades ARMOR, just because Jim Lee can't help but throw more lines on an elegantly simple design. "KISS: Keep It SIMPLE, Stupid!"
    No offense but are you high? What are you even talking about? We've all read Alice in Wonderland I don't know what that has to do with this conversation. I meant that I can't take YOU seriously. It's not about whether or not I take comics seriously. The red trunks were dumb. They really were, and now these guys look like actual superheroes. If you're so obsessed with the past read the old comics. And honestly Superman wearing underwear outside of his pants shouldn't be a deciding factor in whether or not the stories are good. I don't why you're so fascinated by Superman's crotch area but if it bugs you so much there are always red markers.