Page 17 of 745 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Goooo Lorna!!! Seeing that image brings me great joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    Here's a quick look at Lorna's sprite in the Days of Future Past game.
    You can find it in stage 7.

I'm only up to stage 5 so far. I'd probably be through the whole thing by now if it was my primary game, but I'm playing a different one within my huge backlog at the moment.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by M2. View Post
    Figures I drop the book at the worst time, just for the next issue to be better than ever, so I buy the digital and have to wait on my physical copy again.

This issue has potential to be one of those major Polaris issues that we'll need to add to the old list of essential Polaris reading material. We shall see. While she is representing Serval, Lorna has already proven in this ANXF run that she is driven and passionate and will stand up for what she believes in regardless of her orders. Certainly the perfect set up for a memorable and passionate speech by Polaris, Queen of the Mutants.
    I wouldn't call her queen of mutants, greatly as Magneto is the self appointed king...that'd just be weird, and only Magneto and those that followed him would consider her a princess or anything close to it.

That's super cute

I really liked Lorna from between UXM #250-#280 when she had her secondary mutation and became super strong. It would be fun to see her maybe temporarily transform into that form again.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I really liked Lorna from between UXM #250-#280 when she had her secondary mutation and became super strong. It would be fun to see her maybe temporarily transform into that form again.
    I don't believe that was a secondary mutation, I believe it was a product of Zaladane and Shadow King's tampering with her. It was meant by Claremont to be Lorna's new power long term along with a new code name, though I would have preferred Polaris stay Polaris the Mistress of Magnetism and not be Lorna-Hulk smash. I didn't like it then and I wouldn't like it now.

It would be nice to see a what if story here she kept those powers permanently.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I don't believe that was a secondary mutation, I believe it was a product of Zaladane and Shadow King's tampering with her. It was meant by Claremont to be Lorna's new power long term along with a new code name, though I would have preferred Polaris stay Polaris the Mistress of Magnetism and not be Lorna-Hulk smash. I didn't like it then and I wouldn't like it now.
    I didn't exactly care for per power swap during that period, but it was nice to see Lorna in the spotlight again during that period.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    I didn't exactly care for per power swap during that period, but it was nice to see Lorna in the spotlight again during that period.
    That was pretty much because Claremont couldn't promote her as one of his empowered x-women when she had energy based powers similar to Storm at least during his first run (not his second). It was pretty clear in that era the view was that it was a zero sum battle between Storm and Lorna where either Polaris looks good or Storm look good and we saw which side he choose.

That would have been fine if that had been a new character, but he took a pre-existing character created in the 60s and warped her personality 180 degrees into being the anti-Storm.

Issue #146 and Claremont's run with her on Genosha shows he can write Polaris well when he wanted to and lets say during his original run rarely wanted to until Polaris was no longer the Mistress of Magnetism. When she had She-Hulk powers then Claremont had no problem writing her empowered... make of that what you will.

Last edited by jmc247; 05-26-2014 at 02:52 PM.

I wonder what her exact height was during her super strength phase.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

I've never been a Storm fan so I would have vastly preferred if Lorna had been on the team in her place, but I guess that's all in the past.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I've never been a Storm fan so I would have vastly preferred if Lorna had been on the team in her place, but I guess that's all in the past.
    With Storm added to the team the best thing for Lorna would have been to join Magneto in that era and be the opposite vision of the X-Men's Jean/Storm. But, writers/editors had already burned that bridge in their minds with the robo-Magneto retcon. If not for that she could have been not in competition with Storm and Jean like Claremont wanted and of course they would have fought, but not with Lorna being constantly a mind controlled slave or Lorna spending her time in limbo as a fembot.

I can say this much: in terms of race issues, it's much better that Storm and Polaris weren't in each other's places. If Claremont had done that, and everything that happened to Lorna during the Claremont era was done to Storm instead, we'd rightfully be pointing to those issues as highly questionable and potentially racist content. In that sense, the makeup that took place is a good mark for Claremont.

However, the dynamic Claremont chose for Lorna didn't need to happen to any already established character in the first place. He could've made a brand new character to fit his needs, or he could've written Lorna in a much more imposing, powerful manner in the same way he managed to make Jean Grey look powerful with the Dark Phoenix events. He had options, and this was what he decided to pick. He's sticking by it, too, as shown in his depiction of Lorna during X-Men Forever.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)