Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    I agree with you and Soulsword. Lorna founding her own ideologically unique team somewhat divorced from the main branch but with a predominant focus on mutant politics, for me, is about the only way forward for the character. At this point I think it's just a matter of time.
    I agree that her involvement in mutant politics is the only real way forward for the character to get out of the rut.

Hopefully she doesn't get lost in any upcoming shuffle. Not that it matters a great deal but I knew her stint as "leader" in XMB was going to be lackluster/a dud mainly because that writer hasn't demonstrated an understanding of the fulcrum or core fundamentals of Lorna's character and he doesn't seem all that much interested in having her potentially supersede Magneto in terms of prominence imo.
    There has been a rather major lack of understanding of her core fundamentals as a character and it hobbled her past year on Blue rather significantly I would agree. It could have been the run that showed that Magneto and Polaris can both exist at the same time while both being philosophically interesting in their own right. Imagine them talking about what they felt about Genosha's destruction or mutants in the world of man? But, it was not to be.

Bunn's Magneto had vastly more interesting conversations with Xorn in Uncanny X-Men. There were some nice scenes, but the Lorna and Magneto conversations have been extremely light on the deep stuff that would be remembered in 10 or 20 years.

Not to derail the thread but I just finished re-reading Morrison's run and I had the pleasure of reading Ambient Magnetic Fields again and I thought it was somewhat tragic that Morrison didn't spend more time working with and on Lorna's character as she seemed like the type of individual that he'd have a propensity towards writing exceptionally. What did you think of Morrison's depiction of Jean Grey--not to derail the thread?
    I was recently reading an article from this time in 2002 by Morrison and he spelled out some of his thoughts, but in no interview has he gone in depth on the topic of that story line and why he did some of the things he did there which proved so pivotal for the character which is the biggest yet untold story of her history as she approaches her 50th anniversary.

NRAMA: Speaking of one of those villains of the X-Men’s “family,” is the “ultimate Magneto” storyline still in the works? If so, how? From all appearances, it looks like Magneto was killed in the early moments of the attack on Genosha.

GM: “Yes. Magneto was killed in Genosha but that doesn't mean his influence can't be felt. Che Guevara was killed in Bolivia in 1967 but he still sells T-shirts.

“Much of the second year of New X-Men is looking at what happens to superheroes when there are no more villains left to fight and where struggles become more ambiguous and deadly; in the aftermath of Magneto's death and the destruction of Genosha, the mutant race is thrown into confusion and self-doubt. Old boundaries crumble, new alliances are forged and it becomes harder to tell the good guys from the bad.

“What happens when there's a moral vacuum left to be filled? When there's no more Magneto left to oppose Xavier's dream, where will the inevitable opposition come from? And could it be that Xavier's 'dream' is in dire need of someone to oppose it? “Getting rid of Magneto was necessary to clear the decks for new possibilities and more frightening threats.”

NRAMA: Will Havok and Polaris return?

GM: “Havok appears in Chuck's book and Polaris turns up in New X-Men #132, the Genosha story.

https://sites.google.com/site/deepsp...on-talks-filth
    Austen had his plans already spelled out to write Lorna like she was in 1991 X-Factor, marry her to Havok and dump her in limbo. That one issue by Morrison proved the pivot point of Austen's entire run. It bothered Austen a fair bit that in his view the best ideas for Lorna he didn't come up with, but he did decide to really try to build upon.

Hi Chuck, I really liked your work on Uncanny X-Men, especially with what you did with Polaris. You turned her from a character that was always in the background who I hardly ever noticed into one of my favorite characters and you managed to give her character a nice edge. One thing I was wondering is how the decision to make Polaris Magneto’s daughter again came down? Was that Morrison or your idea?

Austen: I believe it was Grant’s. But the roots went much further back, though others can tell you specifically when and where, what issues, what the circumstances were, which page, what panels, what characters, the costumes they were wearing, who lettered it, and possibly even the type of printer it was printed on.

There was a storyline done years ago where she was ‘revealed’ to be Magneto’s daughter, but then it was undone, or proven not to be true, or only happened in one of Scarlet Witch’s continuity-scrubbing bubbles, or something. Maybe in the Neal Adams Roy Thomas run. I researched it at the time, but I’ve since forgotten. I needed to memorize someone’s phone number, and that’s the only brain space I had available.

Apparently Grant made a decision to go back to it, but I’m not sure whose actual idea it was: his, Marvel’s, or God’s acting through them both as a conduit—I assume his, because he was Grant Morrison, and he had the power, the power of Hoodoo—all I can tell you is that the germ of the idea wasn’t mine.

I had intended to use Polaris in my run from the beginning, keep her much as she’d been when I’d read about her in X-Factor and other places, then eventually marry her off to Alex, happily ever after—at least until some other writer came along and made them related to Satan. It was a surprise to me when she appeared in Grant’s X-Men—crazy, muttering to herself, and wandering in the radioactive mud. We’d just had coffee the previous day, and she seemed fine. Just shows how you can miss the little signs.

Once she’d appeared as Nutso Profundo I had to rewrite some of my scripts, and went with Lorna the edgier, more volatile and unpredictable Looney Tunes with a heart of gold. It made a certain amount of sense, and I agree with you, she became more interesting than she had been. CURSE YOU GRANT MORRISON AND YOUR GENIUS! He was always making me look bad for my lack of imagination. I think he did it on purpose.

If Lorna had been on Genosha when it was destroyed, that kind of devastation likley would have changed her, deeply, although I’m sure she still could have had kids, a marriage, and sold Tupperware in her spare time if only I had let her. I decided not to, because I’m a dick, that way.

So it wasn’t planned, it wasn’t actually my idea, but I ran with it and thought it was a good direction and an interesting one. And, tellingly, people both credit, and blame me for the change.

If you liked it, I did it. If not, it’s Grant’s fault.

See how easy that is?

http://web.archive.org/web/200806122...enonline.com/?
    What Austen did was unique in the annals of Lorna's history, in that vast bulk of writers simply won't take and follow up on a great idea when handed to them that doesn't happen to be their own and certainly not change everything they have planned and make another writers work the pivot point of their run for the character.

I will tell you New X-Men 132 by Grant Morrison and Uncanny X-Men 443 by Chuck Austen at the time did receive a huge deal of criticism from start of the 1990s X-Factor fans.

Case in point

However, those issues got the character out of the rut she was stuck in, crystallized what the character is about and set the characters popularity on fire and in the end provide the fundamental core to the Lorna being written right now in The Gifted. Oh, Matt Nix as well originally was going to kill Lorna off first episode then was going to write her as a sort of girlfriend character in his own words to accentuate Eclipse's story. Eventually after thinking about it he and others on the show realized what they have here is really a pearl covered in a lot of crappy comic depictions that just use the character to further other characters stories.

Uncanny X-Men 443 and New X-Men 132 did not use her to further any other characters stories and instead dealt with the issue of her and legacy. The two issues combined became the entire basis for The Bandlands WATXM episode and lives on in TV. While its more for kids then the source material, TV writers and producers have proven pretty good at being able to peel away good ideas from shitty ones for Lorna.

I believe Morrison's high level of interest in Emma Frost and Jean kind of precluded Lorna being a regular on the title, but it would have been nice if there was more crossovers as Austen did write Emma Frost well and vice versa for Morrison and both for Lorna clearly.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-13-2018 at 04:33 PM.