Page 712 of 745 FirstFirst ... 212612662702708709710711712713714715716722 ... LastLast
Results 10,666 to 10,680 of 11164
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I hope Lorna and Emma can get together. In the absence of Mags I think Emma is a good partner for her. ...
    Emma'd be a good place to start, and there have been some hints indicating it could very well, already be in the works. I mean, it's possible to surmise, ALL roads - - have been leading to it, for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Emma'd be a good place to start, and there have been some hints indicating it could very well, already be in the works. I mean, it's possible to surmise, ALL roads - - have been leading to it, for a while.
    Agreed, Lorna building a relationship with Emma is certainly an important next step with the foot in the door.

ThanX, JMC & Rivka.

That was my worry, but the comparison is only applicable in a broader, more general sense. First, Lorna wouldn't go public & embrace the world stage, at first. She might even criticize Jean for it, thinking of it as hubris, that it endangered Mutants who aren't capable of defending themselves. SO... nor would she & her lot, become wanted criminals (right away), as a result.

Second, there'd be no NuGenosha, or anything of that immensity & prominence... again, at first. Lorna would be trying to set-up a fail-safe system, consisting of many, COVERT locations, that housed diverse, multi-purpose operations. Instead of tackling Mutant/human relations head-on, from the outside in, Polaris & her clandestine co-conspirators would take a more stealth approach... and weave their web from within, to effect change. Think less forming a team, and more putting particular people, in specific places. Like the HFC, only less corrupt, but likely yet AGAIN... only at first. Things rarely work out as planned, after all.
    Those are some very good ideas Heroine. But, yes Lorna is much bigger on the idea of security in numbers and arms for a territorial homeland rather then a mutant nation existing everywhere pushing various governments to try to respect the rights of mutants something the character came to believe deep down will not happen on its own in one of her few great runs over the years.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-21-2018 at 08:36 AM.

From Skyler Samuels of Emma Dumont. It looks like Hellfire is going all in with the elaborate dress.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-21-2018 at 09:03 AM.

too in gif

Stunning! I'm so excited for season 2!!!! I love you, Emma Dumont for being the most outgoing and promotional person portraying my favorite character ever...we are so fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    Stunning! I'm so excited for season 2!!!! I love you, Emma Dumont for being the most outgoing and promotional person portraying my favorite character ever...we are so fortunate.
    She goes all out with the promotion when allowed. I think she is on a tight leash right now in regards to possible spoilers. Skyler Samuels took that picture. But, I think the leash will come down more around SDCC. The Gifted writers say they are coming to SDCC and are going to bring down the house.

Anyway the Cuckoos vs X23 before they work together are the number one comic retailers are pre-ordering.

http://blog.comichron.com/2018/06/x-...ys-hc.html?m=1

People want to know why many comic Lorna’s storylines don’t tend to sell well (Morrison and Austen’s had no problem selling) they should really consider the problem is not the character the problem it is the depiction. Comic Lorna has been utterly crippled by nostalgia for bad eras in her history under great writers. That comes down to comic Lorna’s issue vs Laura.

The Gifted Lorna doesn’t have that problem.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-21-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    She goes all out with the promotion when allowed. I think she is on a tight leash right now in regards to possible spoilers. Skyler Samuels took that picture. But, I think the leash will come down more around SDCC. The Gifted writers say they are coming to SDCC and are going to bring down the house.

Anyway the Cuckoos vs X23 before they work together are the number one comic retailers are pre-ordering.

http://blog.comichron.com/2018/06/x-...ys-hc.html?m=1

People want to know why many comic Lorna’s storylines don’t tend to sell well (Morrison and Austen’s had no problem selling) they should really consider the problem is not the character the problem it is the depiction. Comic Lorna has been utterly crippled by nostalgia for bad eras in her history under great writers. That comes down to comic Lorna’s issue vs Laura.

The Gifted Lorna doesn’t have that problem.
    I am actually interested in the X-23 series now due to Cuckoos' presence. I may even stomach the odious Gabby
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Remember Emma’s idea last year of mixing Lorna and Laura. Marvel is now are mixing Wanda and Laura in a comic series this year.

As for X-23 and the Cuckoos it is the kind of synergy that actually has excited fans and the pre-sales show that. Hell even I am thinking about buying it as well.

The X-Men’s most popular eras tend to happen to coincide with depictions of Lorna that are never going to motivate similar numbers of fans or really any significant number of fans to buy comics she is in.

There are aspects of The Gifted Lorna and early 2000s Lorna that make her captivating to the masses and a character who can sell comics that can’t be replicated simply by making Lorna look tough while bathing in 80s/90s era Lorna nostalgia. One can decide for oneself if that was an issue last arc. I know what I think.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-21-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    more cosplay Florka House of M
    Thank you Juan.

Some of the most even handed Lorna/Magneto one has seen to date can be found in certain HoM minis especially by Chris Gage. That reminds me I hadn't finished my review of alternate universe depictions of Lorna. TAS, WATXM, HoM and The Gifted yet to go. I should really do HoM next.

Thanks Jmc247
    new Gifted polaris gif

BANNED

... Those are some very good ideas Heroine. But, yes Lorna is much bigger on the idea of security in numbers and arms for a territorial homeland rather then a mutant nation existing everywhere pushing various governments to try to respect the rights of mutants something the character came to believe deep down will not happen on its own in one of her few great runs over the years.
    ThanX, JMC. And yeah, she doesn't have faith & trust in people, like that. She eXpects the worst, and will do what must be done, to try & prevent it from happening. I don't believe she's completely without benevolence, tho, she's not that far gone.

ThanX, JMC. And yeah, she doesn't have faith & trust in people, like that. She eXpects the worst, and will do what must be done, to try & prevent it from happening. I don't believe she's completely without benevolence, tho, she's not that far gone.
    Governments run nations and ordinary people aren’t their governments, but at the same point in time mankind has a responsibility to reign in their governments excesses and care and often do not do so. She understands the difference. It’s easier to trust a person then it is to trust people. Remember Mutant controlled Genosha was an island of humans and mutants.

Mind you that side of the character really also hasn’t been touched on in a very long time at least in the comics. The character doesn’t think like a blog standard x-character on such issues, but because she has been so divorced from them I can forgive many current readers who haven’t watched The Gifted for having a kind of generic in every way picture of the character. Reconnecting the character to these parts of her character that haven’t been developed much in a long time is vital to rebuilding.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-21-2018 at 08:12 PM.

As a bit of an expert on Lorna depictions I will just say for comic Lorna it entirely depends on the writer as there has been if anything more variation in Lorna's depiction then even Magneto's.

You don't want Evilneto trying to rule the world back. Well neither do I. But, I also am not a fan 'generic hero' Lorna and on Blue you can decide for yourself what she has been. She has been not interested in mutant issues or much of anything else other then getting to know dad and saving her ex which doesn't make for a well rounded mix.

Not all writers agree on her basic morality and philosophy on using force and even last run PAD was trying to merge his early 90s Lorna with popular early 00s Lorna in ways that worked and in ways that didn't. Early 00s Lorna if anything was more politically radical at times then The Gifted Lorna after her stint on the Acolytes and the genocide of the Genoshan population.
    Agreed. But what do you think should be her base-line philosophy now? It seems that writers impose a personality on Lorna to fit whatever team they're writing, whatever dramatic "hole" they need to plug. Thanks for correcting me about the Jean direction in RED. That is totally true, Lorna is different from Jean, and Lorna should NEVER be a Xavierite! (Jean is the embodiment of Xavier's teaching, if not a total fan of the man himself, given his behavior in the past.)

I've been reading about Polaris for almost 50 years! (Which I've mentioned before, I know.) I had a set idea of who and what she is, and you (JMC) and other Polaris fans have helped me understand her character so much better over the last dozen years we've been online. And it seems we agree that Lorna's basic point of view, what should be her base-line, (her "cornerstone" to quote Westworld), her SELF, doesn't often come through in the comics. I like how Cullen Bunn has handled her; I like seeing her be tough, and cynical, but still try to reach out to her father, to understand him.

From the start--from the 60s, my view of her was: a scholar, a latent mutant who had to be kidnapped, mind-controlled, tricked to get her to be a costumed "hero" or "villain" because she really did NOT want any part of that life. I loved how she told Xavier to shove it. It seems to me Lorna didn't want to be involved in that life until X-FACTOR and then it was because Havok was involved. It seemed to me that it wasn't until Magneto established a mutant haven on Genosha that she wanted to explore her powers, she wanted to learn how to use them better, but she still didn't have a plan to join an X-team. It was only after she learned she was Magneto's daughter, and the Genosha mutant genocide happened, that she became more radicalized. But she still went to Xavier first. I know, real-world, writers, editors, didn't know what to do with her for years. But in-universe, I see it as a steady progression toward acceptance of her mutant powers, of Magneto as her father (and what that legacy entails), of her responsibilities as a super-powered being, and her identity as a mutant. She's making progress! (Real-world--thanks to fans, to good writers and editors who keep Lorna on the front-burner, and now thanks VERY MUCH to "The Gifted" and Emma Dumont's portrayal.)

Okay, so I never saw comic book Lorna as being a mutant nationalist, but certainly more of a hard-liner than Xavier and Jean. Not as doctrinaire and utilitarian as Magneto, but more of a mutant activist than Storm, Kitty, et.al. of the current X-Men. Would she fit on an X-Factor team willing to do "what it takes"? GIFTED Polaris yes, but not comic book Polaris. Do you think comic book Polaris should move more in the direction of Emma Dumont's activist, independent Polaris?

From the start--from the 60s, my view of her was: a scholar, a latent mutant who had to be kidnapped, mind-controlled, tricked to get her to be a costumed "hero" or "villain" because she really did NOT want any part of that life.
    That was Claremont's retroactive take on it and his goal was to replace Lorna with his X-Men (first Storm and many others) on the team. The second x-woman by the end of his run was not seen to even be an X-Man at all and nothing is going to change that.

In a similar vein the revel that Magneto in her original story was a robot it wasn't intended by her original writers oh and Lorna wasn't a mind controlled puppet in thrust her original story-line it was a very 1968 struggle.

1960s Lorna did want to be a mutant and make a difference in the world. They set the 1968/1969 story to be a what your father wants vs what your heart wants. And, she was a pretty hard assed queen of mutants for her day until they (most likely editorial) decided first to reverse her parentage then retcon the Magneto in the storyline.

I am not going to get my anger hat on for Claremont's run with Lorna. I respect the man immensely for what he did with the x-line, but the reason Lorna was taken serious at all for decades is his run, his mechanizations to avoid a West Coast X-Men team with her on it in the early 80s and if his run continued there would be no Polaris Mistress of Magnetism today as he was dead set on replacing her powers which he did before editorial gave her to PAD and told him to return her powers.

There was nothing per say wrong with Lorna being limboed by wanting to research the physical world, but the execution of it. Well, I had a big problem there. Well, I won't go on a spiel only to say not helping people wasn't her desire, it was Havok's and she acceded to it because their relationship and her feelings for him.

Last edited by jmc247; 06-22-2018 at 01:07 PM.