Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keep working at it and improvement will come. The best Lorna heavy fan story I have read in many many years and it’s a very long one in many parts is Genosha: Rebirth.

http://cmbeta.wikidot.com/plot:61/p/2

http://cmbeta.wikidot.com/plot:61/p/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunabelle0 View Post
    Just wanted to say, hello! I write Lorna for that. Your thoughts made my day. But I've been writing Lorna on there for about a year now. It's actually an RP Mush client. So I'm only in charge of writing Lorna there and the rest is written by others. I've been reading this whole forum in hopes of finding inspiration and to make sure I have Lorna's relationships/ characterization right. The in depth analysis here and critical examination of her character has helped me immensely and I've tried my best at mixing comic plot lines (and fixing them) with some of The Gifted.
    Its nice to have you around, hopefully we can learn some from your work. That is the kind of research and devotion it takes to do a complex character like Lorna justice. Your first few chapters with her I felt were slowly getting their bearings before starting to hit its stride. These things take time and effort and don't come overnight. Its too much to expect greatness overnight, but continuing to try means slow and steady improvement.

Trying to tie together and link together separate universes stores is not so easy. There are many x-fans online who see two separate universe depictions of Lorna and well...

Here is the way I look at the same topic. WATXM Lorna present was a 16-17 year old who was raised cloistered on Genosha. In terms of shall we say worldliness, leadership skills, and shall we say life experience they were quite low as she never had the time nor the opportunity to develop these things. Then everything is wiped out in fire.

She had very much a favorable view of her father as the one who raised her and cared for her. Her vision and dream was effectively expropriated from her father. In contrast The Gifted Lorna is just about 30 and never had Magneto in her life and hates that effectively decided on passing on being a part of her life. The Gifted Lorna lived on the streets and had to survive a nasty life were effectively the government policy became a slow elimination of mutants.

The Gifted Lorna on one level wanted nothing to do with the life of the man who dumped her on her head when she was a kid, but things natural to the character set her path. Things such as personality, emotionality and devotion to others. I think your collaborative fic captured that.

Both WATXM Lorna and The Gifted Lorna share a similar emotionality and they are fiercely protective of those they care about. TAS Lorna was fiercely protective really of only one man and an absolute dick to Bobby and that was her world. For WATXM Lorna who she cared about was mainly her family then vaguely the other mutants on Genosha. For The Gifted Lorna who she cares about is above all Eclipse and her unborn child followed by all the mutants she trained like Andy and all the mutants she saved and worked with.

On two key areas of Lorna's personality being emotionality and caring about others deeply the characters are more alike then meets the eye for characters that seem opposite. WATXM Lorna and The Gifted Lorna are different, but when one looks deeper what drives each it wasn't wholly different.

Lorna's base persona and emotionality (under most iterations of the character) is not one to bring a knife to a gun fight or turn the other cheek to being struck and far less so having those she cares about being struck. In terms of the character for any fan fiction writer I would say the most important thing is understanding her base personality and emotionality and working from there. Once one understands those two things then one can graft the character into a new environment that will naturally lead the character in directions on the basis of that set up while being broadly speaking in character.

The worst mistakes in writing Lorna are two fold... just copy and pasting her depiction from one nostalgic era without trying to get the whole package or just writing her to accentuate other characters and writing other characters by means of using her. I will say Lunabelle your writing of Lorna didn't suffer from either of those problems.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-10-2018 at 01:59 AM.