Page 718 of 745 FirstFirst ... 218618668708714715716717718719720721722728 ... LastLast
Results 10,756 to 10,770 of 11164

Keep working at it and improvement will come. The best Lorna heavy fan story I have read in many many years and it’s a very long one in many parts is Genosha: Rebirth.

http://cmbeta.wikidot.com/plot:61/p/2

http://cmbeta.wikidot.com/plot:61/p/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunabelle0 View Post
    Just wanted to say, hello! I write Lorna for that. Your thoughts made my day. But I've been writing Lorna on there for about a year now. It's actually an RP Mush client. So I'm only in charge of writing Lorna there and the rest is written by others. I've been reading this whole forum in hopes of finding inspiration and to make sure I have Lorna's relationships/ characterization right. The in depth analysis here and critical examination of her character has helped me immensely and I've tried my best at mixing comic plot lines (and fixing them) with some of The Gifted.
    Its nice to have you around, hopefully we can learn some from your work. That is the kind of research and devotion it takes to do a complex character like Lorna justice. Your first few chapters with her I felt were slowly getting their bearings before starting to hit its stride. These things take time and effort and don't come overnight. Its too much to expect greatness overnight, but continuing to try means slow and steady improvement.

Trying to tie together and link together separate universes stores is not so easy. There are many x-fans online who see two separate universe depictions of Lorna and well...

Here is the way I look at the same topic. WATXM Lorna present was a 16-17 year old who was raised cloistered on Genosha. In terms of shall we say worldliness, leadership skills, and shall we say life experience they were quite low as she never had the time nor the opportunity to develop these things. Then everything is wiped out in fire.

She had very much a favorable view of her father as the one who raised her and cared for her. Her vision and dream was effectively expropriated from her father. In contrast The Gifted Lorna is just about 30 and never had Magneto in her life and hates that effectively decided on passing on being a part of her life. The Gifted Lorna lived on the streets and had to survive a nasty life were effectively the government policy became a slow elimination of mutants.

The Gifted Lorna on one level wanted nothing to do with the life of the man who dumped her on her head when she was a kid, but things natural to the character set her path. Things such as personality, emotionality and devotion to others. I think your collaborative fic captured that.

Both WATXM Lorna and The Gifted Lorna share a similar emotionality and they are fiercely protective of those they care about. TAS Lorna was fiercely protective really of only one man and an absolute dick to Bobby and that was her world. For WATXM Lorna who she cared about was mainly her family then vaguely the other mutants on Genosha. For The Gifted Lorna who she cares about is above all Eclipse and her unborn child followed by all the mutants she trained like Andy and all the mutants she saved and worked with.

On two key areas of Lorna's personality being emotionality and caring about others deeply the characters are more alike then meets the eye for characters that seem opposite. WATXM Lorna and The Gifted Lorna are different, but when one looks deeper what drives each it wasn't wholly different.

Lorna's base persona and emotionality (under most iterations of the character) is not one to bring a knife to a gun fight or turn the other cheek to being struck and far less so having those she cares about being struck. In terms of the character for any fan fiction writer I would say the most important thing is understanding her base personality and emotionality and working from there. Once one understands those two things then one can graft the character into a new environment that will naturally lead the character in directions on the basis of that set up while being broadly speaking in character.

The worst mistakes in writing Lorna are two fold... just copy and pasting her depiction from one nostalgic era without trying to get the whole package or just writing her to accentuate other characters and writing other characters by means of using her. I will say Lunabelle your writing of Lorna didn't suffer from either of those problems.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-10-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Wow an opinion by Xavier Files I completely can endorse,this is good haha

I actually think the WaTXM Lorna isn't too bad... at the very least it promoted her in the minds of fans and showed her family ties clearly, that is SUPER important. Yes she was a teenager and sort of the doting daughter who was naive and all that stuff (Wanda in WaTXM is a lot closer to Gifted Lorna in terms of world weariness and cynicism and more "agency" over events), but like I said before, I view it the same way I view Lorna's historical relationship with Havok. Does it hurt and inhibit her somewhat? Yes. BUT... it also gives her a sustained level of prominence so she can't just be so easily forgotten. There seems to a strong tendency to want to ignore Lorna and simply focus on Magneto whether it's due to the power redundancy or struggling with how to differentiate their personalities consistently.

So her ties with other established characters like Havok and Mags (and Wanda and Pietro) help counteract this although even then she has tended to be portrayed as by far the least important member in that family and almost an afterthought.

It's really the "future/AU" episode(s) of WaTXM that give Lorna some more of an interesting direction, and which flows more into her portrayal on The Gifted. Of course this hasn't been seen in the comics in over 10 years. Although I would say parts of BLUE began to get us there.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

WaTXM was the show that make me interested on Magneto's kids, so it did something right .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    WaTXM was the show that make me interested on Magneto's kids, so it did something right .
    Yep, it was key for me also. Elevated them MAJORLY, in my eyes, especially Lorna. "Badlands" (+her finale cameos) really resonated, but I appreciated her younger self as well, in "Aces & Eights." Can't fault it at all, in the eXposure it gave to her, and the favorable profile raising that resulted in the process. A&E had her gettin' feisty with Wanda, after all, and hinted at 'angry' Polaris @ the end. Ya DON'T trifle, with the daughters of Magneto:

So honestly, I find most criticisms, to be disingenuous.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 07-09-2018 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    WaTXM was the show that make me interested on Magneto's kids, so it did something right.
    The dynamics of their comic relationships on Genosha were shifted from the 616, but not in ways that fans couldn’t become attached to them as a group. For Lorna it traded the Lorna’s 616 role of #2 on the island for something not quite as flashy.

But, it traded it off for merging Lorna's two best comics IMHO being New X-Men 132 by Morrison and Uncanny X-Men 443 by Austen into one issue The Bandlands with its own unique flair for future Lorna.

It also seeded in present day the idea of Lorna trying out romance with someone other then the same old same old. It almost went somewhere in the comics though never quite got off the ground.

On a larger level the show basically took an iteration of the Magnus family and globalized it.

In terms of HoM in the main series and most minis it was basically Lorna and Pietro who were both the power behind the throne. The actual dynamics can and have been tweaked on the basis of universe and what fit the creative team.

I actually believe if Fox had agreed to a Sony type deal back then it would have probably been the outlines of how the family would have been integrated into the MCU in 2009 or 2010. A Magnus family ruled Genosha that might have effectively been the pivot point for crossovers with Wakanda or the Avengers. No Fox deal a decade ago, then the Disney buy out happened, then WATXM was canceled. The things were interconnected of course.

How things might shake out with the X-Men likely coming to the MCU early next decade? Hard to say.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-10-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

WaTX was the first time Lorna had an actual substantial role in animation. TAS Lorna was barley a blip on the radar, and other than looking amazing in her old school costume, brought little to the table. They did bring her back for the Phalanx episodes, but I don't know if she had any actual lines. She was important to defeating them though.

At least in WaTX, she got to have an actual plot in the later episodes, and came across pretty awesome imo, and had some nice moments with Gambit. I've always loved the idea of those two. I loved the House of M on Genosha, and would have been great to see Scarlet Witch, and a Polaris no longer sheltered by her father, leading the island nation. She wasn't fully matured yet when we were introduced to her, but I think overtime, and without her father protecting her 24/7, she would have blossomed into the Lorna we know and love. A shame the show never got the chance to do so.

BANNED

One thing to remember too, is even young Lorna eXhibited that trademark Polaris willfulness, in A&E. As mentioned, she got into it with Wanda over Gambit, knew about the 'secret' holding cells (to her sister's surprise), and actively defied her father. I mean, she was ready to LEAVE Genosha, with Remy. Hardly doting, if ya look past the surface. And future Lorna wouldn't have worked like it did, if not for the earlier version's depiction. One was necessary, to give way to the other.

It was also evident in TAS, when Bobby's tellin' Jubes 'bout their history together. She wanted more & more to do somethin' 'bout Mutant rights, where he really didn't, and that's why she lost some of her feelings for him. She wanted to be more of an activist, and he was more content to live the 'normal' life.

And all of this is consistent, with The Gifted's headstrong portrayal, as well as her comics characterization:

I swear, some so-called fans are SO clueless, it's painful. Present company eXcluded.

And I agree Soulsword, would've given anything for W&tXM S2, where it looks like she would've matured some:

Last edited by Heroine Addict; 07-11-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Lorna appeared in one page of Blue today. Served as an epilogue to her and Alex from Mothervine

She looks like Brand with the sunglasses

Lorna's outfit was fire today in Blue! Loved it. As the scan shows, she doesn't do much outside of tell Alex Magneto isn't coming after him. A nice ending to that arc.

Emma is answering fan questions on Instagram today if anyone wanted to check that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Lorna's outfit was fire today in Blue! Loved it. As the scan shows, she doesn't do much outside of tell Alex Magneto isn't coming after him. A nice ending to that arc.

Emma is answering fan questions on Instagram today if anyone wanted to check that out!
    I loved finally seeing her in street clothes. I feel like all she's ever worn in this series were costumes

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I loved finally seeing her in street clothes. I feel like all she's ever worn in this series were costumes
    Yeah, it was a nice change of pace. You're right, she's only ever be in uniform lol. Even when her and Magneto were having tea.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 07-11-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

She was in regular attire when her and Magneto were walking around town together though

I'm surprised noone here has a problem with her meeting with Alex actually

But yeah it didn['t really seem to be hinting at a rekindled romance it was more just like a "courtesy" type thing

I do find it so jarring Magneto's utter rage against Emma... who was the one to actually not really be fully in favor of Mothervine... but he lets Havok totally off the hook... even though Havok just said he WASN'T totally mind controlled.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    She was in regular attire when her and Magneto were walking around town together though

I'm surprised noone here has a problem with her meeting with Alex actually

But yeah it didn['t really seem to be hinting at a rekindled romance it was more just like a "courtesy" type thing

I do find it so jarring Magneto's utter rage against Emma... who was the one to actually not really be fully in favor of Mothervine... but he lets Havok totally off the hook... even though Havok just said he WASN'T totally mind controlled.
    I never had a problem with them interacting; I just dont like them as a couple. I thought this epilogue of sorts was fine

IA about Magneto's rage. Its odd how he's given Alex and Sinister a free pass. I do like that Alex is owning up to what he did and that this here is consistent with where he ends up in Astonishing. Unfortunately we have no hints as to whats next for Lorna

Damn, I hate that I forgot about her normal attire when she was out with Magneto. Both instances have Lorna in purple and shows how good she looks in it.

A big reason why Bunn used Lorna is the role she was going to play in fixing Alex. That isn't going to change, and although I'd love to see her thoughts on something else, what's presented isn't bad. It's a conclusion to their story in Blue, and leaves them both to go their separate ways as friends. I fully support them interacting as allies, and as a support system for one another. Just nothing romantic, and thankfully, the scene doesn't indulge in that.

Ultimate Member

Yeah it's not a romantic scene, as I wouldn't expect it to be, though it doesn't throw up any roadblocks for anything to happen sometime down the road either...